U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:52 PM

7,666 posts, read 8,958,791 times

Advertisements

Timberwolf and tickyul, if you are having so much trouble with renters than get out of the business. Not all tenants are bad and they still deserve to be treated with respect. I have no patience for landlords with that kind of mentality.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:30 PM

9,390 posts, read 17,317,873 times
I'd check the papers in Billings and the small weeklies in towns nearby. I don't know about in Montana, but here in NE Wyoming, Craigslist just doesn't work. I've tried it and had horrible results so just use the local newspaper. It works, so get them hot off the press and call immediately.

I have a 16-year-old cat that has never missed his litter box (in the garage), but I've also had to replace carpet and sub-flooring after tenants' cats ruined flooring in several rooms. After that happens to a landlord a couple times he does get a little hesitant to rent to cat owners. The same can happen with smokers. It's not that we hate smokers or animals; it's just that we can't afford the damages caused by some of them.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:37 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Timberwolf and tickyul, if you are having so much trouble with renters than get out of the business. Not all tenants are bad and they still deserve to be treated with respect. I have no patience for landlords with that kind of mentality.
Respect is a two way street. Hopefully the new couple that moved in will be different.

I'm not renting my property to make money, I'm renting it so that I can keep paying the mortgage and hopefully sell it in a couple years, so in turn I can use the equity I've been building for the last 12 years to buy a place in our new location.

If you even read my previous post, how would you feel if that's how someone treated your house? Sorry if I don't want my porch to become an ashtray, or people burning their garbage in order to not pay for garbage collection. I even offered to pay the garbage, but would have had to raise the rent to compensate for it.

There seems to be an illusion that if you have a rental property, that you are some kind of rich, greedy, scum sucking slumlord that thrives on evicting people on Christmas eve or something... Not the case here, heck I even gave them half off their December rent for Christmas last year, and let them out of the lease early in order to help with their new baby and job transfer... But I guess I'm still the bad guy right??

It sure would be nice to have tenants that paid on time, and took pride in the condition of their home.

If you feel that it's your right to damage someone's property than you are one of the renters that landlords have no patience for, and rightfully so.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:18 AM

11,823 posts, read 15,440,126 times
Property owners do have the right to restrict some things from occurring on their property, and they shouldn't be demonized for doing so.

It's incumbent on the rentor to find a place to live that may suit their unique needs, and unfortunately being a smoker means you are in a minority group considered 'last resort'. Having pets is often easier to accommodate.

Ironically a good friend of mine in WV owned over a hundred properties. He and his wife smoked and had dogs, but they didnt allow either in their 'best' properties unless they knew who you are and trusted you.

That's not illegal or immoral (in my opinion).

Old 11-01-2011, 05:20 PM

7,666 posts, read 8,958,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Respect is a two way street. Hopefully the new couple that moved in will be different.

I'm not renting my property to make money, I'm renting it so that I can keep paying the mortgage and hopefully sell it in a couple years, so in turn I can use the equity I've been building for the last 12 years to buy a place in our new location.

If you even read my previous post, how would you feel if that's how someone treated your house? Sorry if I don't want my porch to become an ashtray, or people burning their garbage in order to not pay for garbage collection. I even offered to pay the garbage, but would have had to raise the rent to compensate for it.

There seems to be an illusion that if you have a rental property, that you are some kind of rich, greedy, scum sucking slumlord that thrives on evicting people on Christmas eve or something... Not the case here, heck I even gave them half off their December rent for Christmas last year, and let them out of the lease early in order to help with their new baby and job transfer... But I guess I'm still the bad guy right??

It sure would be nice to have tenants that paid on time, and took pride in the condition of their home.

If you feel that it's your right to damage someone's property than you are one of the renters that landlords have no patience for, and rightfully so.
I did read your post about the tenants and I know there are some bad apples. The point is, don't consider someone guilty until proven innocent. I know there are plenty of landlords who are not low-life slumlords. Right now I am renting from a wonderful couple who are doing it to supplement their retirement income. I don't smoke, so that is not an issue. I don't have a problem with people who don't allow smoking or pets on their properties. I just have a problem with landlords who act like they really do lord over their tenants. All a tenant's responsibility entails is not trashing the place and paying the rent. They are under no obligation otherwise.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:08 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,365,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I did read your post about the tenants and I know there are some bad apples. The point is, don't consider someone guilty until proven innocent. I know there are plenty of landlords who are not low-life slumlords. Right now I am renting from a wonderful couple who are doing it to supplement their retirement income. I don't smoke, so that is not an issue. I don't have a problem with people who don't allow smoking or pets on their properties. I just have a problem with landlords who act like they really do lord over their tenants. All a tenant's responsibility entails is not trashing the place and paying the rent. They are under no obligation otherwise.
I think you need to read the laws on tenant obligations. There is a whole lot more, by law, then simply paying the rent and not trashing the place.

I rent. I do not smoke. I have a pet. But I moved in here and lived here for 6 months until the Landlords knew me and knew what to expect. Then I approached them about a pet. I had no problem.l Matter of fact, it's to the point now that the Landlord told me, if I bought the pet door, he'd help me cut a hole in his door and install it. That sort of trust cannot be expected when somebody answers your add in the paper.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 11-03-2011, 11:55 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,281,896 times
If they do not ask if you smoke upfront or on the application, you do not need to disclose it. It is your business if you go outside to smoke unless they state in the lease or rental agreement that you cannot smoke on the PROPERTY. If they ever catch you smoking inside, they have the right to evict you only if it is stated in the lease/rental agreement that you cannot smoke inside. As far as the cat goes, most leases/agreements have a pet section, if not, that doesn't need to be disclosed either. I own my home but rented for a very long time from various types of landlords. I find most of them very nice and willing to bend if times get tough. Of course, not disclosing cats or smoking might be interpreted as lying so right off the bat a wall is built. I never did have a problem with any of my pets. I did have to pay $100 extra on the deposit once but got it back. Keep in mind that the landlord cannot evict you if it was never stated in the contract that you cannot smoke and they found out after you had signed the contract and make sure you get a copy of the SIGNED contract.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,573,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
People tend to take care of things better when they have to pay for the expenses.
Which is why I'm thinkin' when I rent this place out, I'm going to stipulate that certain wear-and-tear repairs are the renter's responsibility. Otherwise I know I'm gonna get a call telling me that they forgot the hose running for a week and now the booster pump is burned out, and that's gonna cost me a thousand bucks for someone else's carelessness.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:59 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Which is why I'm thinkin' when I rent this place out, I'm going to stipulate that certain wear-and-tear repairs are the renter's responsibility. Otherwise I know I'm gonna get a call telling me that they forgot the hose running for a week and now the booster pump is burned out, and that's gonna cost me a thousand bucks for someone else's carelessness.
Yup, we did the same thing the second time around after a lesson learned. Our new renters seem to be really nice people, work hard and are raising a family. We agreed to keep the rent low, with the understanding that they would take care of maintenance issues written into the lease.

They even helped me with some of the cleanup from the last ones that made a MESS, and I gave then half off of their deposit after seeing what a good job they did. Hope it works out for the both of us.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:37 PM

8,944 posts, read 8,047,583 times
Look at it from the landlord's point of view.

Smokers: Some promise to smoke outside, but do it inside and when the tenant moves it costs for an entire repaint, including sealers that seal in the odor from the previous tenant that smoked to make the room smell good. It is difficult to get the smoke smell out of the carpet. A lot of tenants, drop burning ashes and cigarette butts onto the carpet, causing a lot of carpet to be replaced before it should have to be. So they say, why take a chance, and will not rent to smokers. In the long run, it will save the landlord a lot of money not having to spend near as much getting the unit ready for the next tenant.

Cats: Cat urine is one of the most difficult thing to get out of the carpet as far as odors and stains. It is costly, to clean up a unit after cats have lived there. So experienced landlords will not rent to cat owners. I was a commercial real estate broker for years, managing rentals of all types. We would not rent to pet owners, and had a $300 per month charge if they brought in an animal as a guarantee they did not have animals.

There are more renters available, than there are houses to rent. A smart landlord, only rents to the cream of the crop in the way of renters, that will take care of their property like it was their own home, and pay their rent on time.

I was the president of the county Rental Owners and Managers Association for 3 years with about 100 active members. Smokers and pets, were the biggest complaint that the owners and managers had about tenants. It was almost universal, that none of the members would rent to smokers and animal owners, even if they smoked and had animals themselves. They did not want to expense, and problems that these two caused.

If you want to be a renter that can find a unit to rent, you can stop smoking and get rid of your elderly cat. That would make it much easier to find a place to rent. It is the old supply demand situation. As long as the demand is more than the supply when it comes to renters, the landlord for their own protection is going to choose the best tenant for their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or