U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:22 AM

6,488 posts, read 7,607,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Somehow I think the 2nd HS, while needed in Bozeman, is nothing more to prop up a severely deflated housing market. They tried to get a 4th in Billings and it was shown for the scam that it was. Billings only really needed the 4th school for about 5 years and then enrollment could be handled by the existing schools. The reality was that a developer wanted to build two new subdivisions which would be conveniently centered on the new high school. Bozeman does need a new school but like everything else in that town, it will be built to benefit a bunch of croney developers.
Hmm, that's an interesting perspective. I'm reminded of a similar "we need more elementary schools!" craze in Los Angeles, when the San Fernando Valley was in its late boom phase. So a couple dozen schools were built, as usual at taxpayer expense. So far so good... except now 10 or 12 of them are sitting empty, not being used for anything except as the occasional movie set. Yet they are still being paid off by higher property taxes, and they still need regular maintenance.

Given that the rapid population influx of the past 20 years brought with it a "schoolage-kids bubble" -- once those kids are grown, and (if the housing market is any indication) now that it looks like the population boom is stabilizing, will those new schools really be needed? or would it be better to do some double-shifting for a while and let the boom pass, rather than get entrenched in tax debt for new buildings of only temporary need?

And I have a tough time imagining a population boom in Butte, sufficient to need a new high school.

One solution that some locales have used in cases of genuine need for space, is leasing nearby business property for classes that need special setups, like advanced shop classes. Double-shifts can be used as well (and perhaps only for high-demand classes) -- my junior high did that, and we all lived to tell of it... in fact, a lot of us liked it.

Occurs to me to wonder... what's being done with the old Bozeman mall? I read somewhere it was going to be closed as a mall (folks who were around at the time might remember the half-vast mess it was while being built), so now what??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 02:47 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,536,535 times
The mall in Bozeman is doing a healthy business. The movie theater is located there, restaurants, Macy's, they added a food court... I haven't heard any rumors about the mall. With remodeling over the years, it is a much better place now than it was originally.

Here is a link to what is happening at the mall
http://www.gallatinvalleymall.com/

I think this thread was started with an uninformed premise. Butte doesn't need a new high school and Bozeman just did an excellent remodel of the one we have, finished about a year ago.

From Sept. 2010
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com...cc4c03286.html

Old 11-05-2011, 03:32 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,269,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
True, salaries for teachers are low, but she loves it. The key to a successful life is to be happy doing your life's work. That is how I taught my kids. They all work, and enjoy their jobs. After all, how much do people really need? Food, a place to live, a few comforts.

I consider myself fortunate to have such a wonderful daughter who wants to teach. Money is not everything.
Money isn't everything and it doesn't buy happiness, but poverty guarantees unhappiness.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:33 PM

16 posts, read 14,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
Somehow I think the 2nd HS, while needed in Bozeman, is nothing more to prop up a severely deflated housing market. They tried to get a 4th in Billings and it was shown for the scam that it was. Billings only really needed the 4th school for about 5 years and then enrollment could be handled by the existing schools. The reality was that a developer wanted to build two new subdivisions which would be conveniently centered on the new high school. Bozeman does need a new school but like everything else in that town, it will be built to benefit a bunch of croney developers.

Good for them but I expect that it will depress housing prices further. That is great for people moving in as they might get to normal levels. That will be bad for people currently living there as they will be further underwater on their homes. It's one of the few places in Montana where "jingle-mail" makes sense.

I can think of several mascots for the school though. Angelenos and Tax Cheats come to my mind.
I thought Billings Central was more of a Class A School or a catholic High School? That what I heard anyway.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:36 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,269,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
I thought Billings Central was more of a Class A School or a catholic High School? That what I heard anyway.
Billings Central is a private Class A Catholic school. The three public high schools are Senior, West, and Skyview. I think Skyview is the newest and from what I understand Senior has had a drop in enrollment as that neighborhood is "graying."

Old 11-05-2011, 03:36 PM

16 posts, read 14,953 times
I think this thread was started with an uninformed premise. Butte doesn't need a new high school and Bozeman just did an excellent remodel of the one we have, finished about a year ago.

I went back and checked Butte High School Population and it's only at 1300! Butte has not and probably will not for a while have a Population Boom. Butte Will not be getting a new high school for a long Time because it only had 1300 peoples. 1300 is a nice number for a AA High School. So I a,m just talking about bozeman now

Old 11-05-2011, 04:23 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,607,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
The mall in Bozeman is doing a healthy business. The movie theater is located there, restaurants, Macy's, they added a food court... I haven't heard any rumors about the mall. With remodeling over the years, it is a much better place now than it was originally.
Originally the Bozeman mall was quite a mess. Parts unfinished, others with leaking roof or electrical that didn't work, etc. It was still in a not very good state when I moved out of the area in 1984.

When it was first opened, a sandwich shop across the street sprouted a sign that read, "Been Malled?"

Not too long ago I read something about a move to build a new mall in Bozeman, and last I heard that was supposedly going on. But maybe it was just hot air from developers that fizzled out. Likely a lot of great intentions sent up skyrockets during the height of the construction boom.

Personally I dislike most malls, and the type of stores they tend to attract, being generally too expensive for local business. And back-when I used to shop at the old downtown JC Penneys, but found the store so changed after it moved to the mall that I never went there again, unless dragged by relatives. (My sister is a yuppie and my mom loves to shop. I think I'm a changeling.)

Old 11-05-2011, 04:36 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,536,535 times
I don't like shopping in malls, either, and I once had a job in the mall in Bozeman, when it was new. I hated the building. It was designed as if it could be pluncked down in Anywhere, USA, with no natural light or window view to the outside. It was like a big cave.

I still avoid going there, but it has since been remodeled to be lighter inside, as if it had skylights, has interior plantscaping of real trees that are professionally maintained by The Foliage Company,
Album 1 Gallery 9 Portfolio | The Foliage Company
and is much better than the original building now.

Bozeman is not expanding like it used to, so I doubt if there are current plans for another mall built to compete with the one already here.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:39 PM

18,043 posts, read 23,016,546 times
Mall? We have a mall. It's called "Down Town". It's 4 blocks long on both sides of the street.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:41 PM

18,043 posts, read 23,016,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Mall? We have a mall. It's called "Down Town". It's 4 blocks long on both sides of the street.
We have one high school and it will take years to grow into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana