Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2007, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,152 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't save up to move to Miles City, Montana? For some reason I want to move to Miles City, yet get this, I'm from Atlanta, GA. I hate living here for a couple of reasons and I do believe that once I get my teaching degree I'll be leaving GA. I've never lived outside of GA and of course down here in the south we don't have winter....we have a few "cold" weeks and then its back to the sticky humid months. Knowing that a Montana Winter can be super rough, I believe I could handle it, I like blankets and fires. And during the fire weather months I wouldn't mind helping out as much as I could to prevent them and to help control them (I was very close to joining the fire department here but I got married instead-shoulda joined!!!).

So what are the downfalls to living in Miles City? Does anyone know if the education world is as competitive as it is down here? I'm single and no kids yet so I would only have to have a small place to live, but they would have to accept pets. I'm wanting to move in about 3-4 years, but I'm starting research now. I plan on visiting next summer for the first time (I bet ya'll are thinkin that I'm crazy- wanting to move somewhere I've never been) for at least two weeks. I just want to know the deep down dirty stuff about Miles City! I'll share the deep down dirty stuff about Atlanta and its suburbs. Any information will be great and I'll probably find more questions to ask later on. Again thanks.

Bekki aka montanaforme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 08:37 PM

Location: I live in Ronan, MT but am stationed in Virginia Beach
290 posts, read 690,138 times
Default Stay in GA or least don't come here.

You'll make more money and be happier somwhere else.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:22 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
while there is really nothing"wrong" with milescity its really not a place many want to move "to'.its not really what most people have in mind when they think of moving to montana.some people like it ,its not a place very many from the big city would like but you'll have to decide that on your own.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 6,152 times
I'm more concerned with "why in the world do I want to move there?" I've been looking at Miles City for years....atleast 5-6 and I still haven't really found a good reason not too except that I know I need to save up. As for making money, I don't think that will be too much of an issue. I am currently making less than $20,000 a year and I'm surviving on it. I'd prefer moving away from a big city. I live in the suburbs of Atlanta and I can't stand the traffic and the people. When I go out of town to North GA, its wonderful. Once I have my teaching degree I don't want to stay in GA.

Gimme some more reasons! And reasons to move there too! Thanks for your replies imbobbbb and DanielRead!

Bekki

Old 08-26-2007, 02:43 PM

Location: I live in Ronan, MT but am stationed in Virginia Beach
290 posts, read 690,138 times
If you want to move to Miles City, save some money, move thier, and see for yourself how totaly different it is from your world in the south, some people like it, and some do not. I think if your not a social person, you'd be able to cope very well with life in eastern MT. Do you like rodeo's, outdoors and hick's? Also some Great industrial oppertunities if you got any background in the oil/coal bussiness.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:12 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
if money is a real issue and you really want wide open spaces maybe you should move farther north to st.marie,montana.you can buy a house there for under 20 thousand dollars and likely find as much oppertunity in nearby glasgow as you would in miles city.what do you mean you've been 'looking' at miles city for years?have you ever been there?i dont have anything against miles city,i could likely live there if some great job offer was there,but its really not a place most people from bigger places would like,but there are exceptions to every rule.what is it about milescity that you think appeals to you?how did it become a destination in your mind?what are your interests?miles city is one of the cheaper places to live in montana and is on the interstate.i guess if you'll have to go there to see if you really want to move there.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:50 AM

2 posts, read 8,986 times
Default make the jump

Were moving to Miles City and we're excited about it...good people..great hunting...........there's more hicks in North Georgia (Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Clayton) ....the hicks in Montana usually have all their teeth and play the guitar rather then the banjo.........i spend lots of time in Atlanta as well............miles city is fine........shouldn't have to "save your money"

Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Have you checked into the teachers salary in Montana, my dh is a teacher and they are fairly low. If you have loans to consider that would be a check in the no side. The cold here is difficult to describe, coming from Oregon we would have occasional snow, 30 degree days but here it is just plain cold from October on. The wind is a big issue that adds to the low temps. Let's just say I have new respect for the original pioneers and their sod homes! You will have to learn what a block heater is. If you are driving any distance to work you will need alot of practice driving in whiteout conditions and be smart about not getting yourself in trouble. Ok now on with the yes side. When you walk around Atlanta and you do not know if you are in New York, Seattle or Los Angeles because there are flipping Starbucks on every corner, and every person has on Abrercombie and all the women are carring oversized $500 purses you will love eastern Montana. It is a step back into time. A gal at work tells me, we never lock the house because what if someone is traveling and gets stuck in the snow, they need a place to get out of the weather. Need I say more? Now temper this with, if you are a younger person, it just might be too isolated, my husband and I are in the midpoints of our life and just got tired of the excellerated growth in Oregon. he grew up next to trappers and I grew up on a dairy farm and all the land around our old homesteads are loaded with mcmansions. Eastern Montana is really flat with some rolling areas, Miles City is more like something from the original "Planet of the Apes" when they land. I know that is actually Lake Mead in Nevada but the sense of isolation and vast view is what I am trying to convay. Gosh what a long message, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: