Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 10:50 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka218 View Post
my family and i are interested in moving to montana....we need somewhere that is affordable with low crime and would love to have a mountain view somewhere....we dont necessarily need to be in a big town, a small one is actually preferred. i am trying to research and see what area would be best suited for us but i dont even know where to begin in my search...as far as work goes, my husband does several things, he is a pizza maker, he has also done office work, and landscaping. i am so confused at this point and don't know where to even begin...if anyone can please help it would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance
Many of the more desirable areas near the mountains are not very affordable. Montana has some low wages and high costs of living in many of the mountainous areas. That is the main reason why I had to head a little further south to better my economic situation. The only two towns I can think of that might be a bit affordable would be Big Timber and Columbus. Big Timber is less than 2,000 people and I think Columbus is as well, but jobs are going to be hard to find there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 11:16 AM

78 posts, read 169,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Many of the more desirable areas near the mountains are not very affordable. Montana has some low wages and high costs of living in many of the mountainous areas. That is the main reason why I had to head a little further south to better my economic situation. The only two towns I can think of that might be a bit affordable would be Big Timber and Columbus. Big Timber is less than 2,000 people and I think Columbus is as well, but jobs are going to be hard to find there.
someone had mentioned that the wages in MT arent too great...as far as near the mountains I've learned that they are not necessary...it was just something of a dream....i will consider those areas and poke around and see what kind of jobs if any are available in the area to get a feel of what things are like

Old 11-25-2011, 07:19 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Columbus to Billings, and around Billings are not as bad as you may think in the Winter.

It has less than half as much snow as Syracuse New York or less than 2/3rds of Buffalo New York, and several inches less than Albany NY, as you are familiar with New York.

More jobs available than other parts of the state, with a lower cost of living than many places. The area did not get hit hard with the housing bust, and homes are up from 5 years ago, not down as so many places, expected to increase in value just over 10% in next two years.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Billings-Montana.htm

Population of whole county is just about 105,000.

In less than an hour, you are in the mountains if you want a day trip, and just a few more minutes if you want to go to a ski area.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Columbus to Billings, and around Billings are not as bad as you may think in the Winter.

It has less than half as much snow as Syracuse New York or less than 2/3rds of Buffalo New York, and several inches less than Albany NY, as you are familiar with New York.

More jobs available than other parts of the state, with a lower cost of living than many places. The area did not get hit hard with the housing bust, and homes are up from 5 years ago, not down as so many places, expected to increase in value just over 10% in next two years.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Billings-Montana.htm

Population of whole county is just about 105,000.

In less than an hour, you are in the mountains if you want a day trip, and just a few more minutes if you want to go to a ski area.
thank you so much for the information and the link i really appreciate you clarifying how things are .....gives me a better idea of what we'd be in for thanks

Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,024 times
it's tough to make it here in montana. there are no corporate jobs. you have to start your own business if you're over the age of about 35. (employers only wanna hire college students for about any job there is here in Billings.) there's no guarantee your biz will be successful. you could work 80 hours a week here and still starve. the state government will hassle you to no end if you even try to get an unemployment check or food stamps cuz you can't find a job. and the winters can be super-cold. it's beautiful to drive through, but keep driving, and stay away from montana. that's my advice.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmharn999 View Post
it's tough to make it here in montana. there are no corporate jobs. you have to start your own business if you're over the age of about 35. (employers only wanna hire college students for about any job there is here in Billings.) there's no guarantee your biz will be successful. you could work 80 hours a week here and still starve. the state government will hassle you to no end if you even try to get an unemployment check or food stamps cuz you can't find a job. and the winters can be super-cold. it's beautiful to drive through, but keep driving, and stay away from montana. that's my advice.
doesn't sound promising

Old 12-01-2011, 04:09 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,439 times
Pooka, don't be discouraged by pessimists, but DO BE realistic and go to Montana in person to research towns where your husband may be able to find a job. Billings has the best job prospects right now, so I suggest starting with a visit there.

Hope that helps.

H.I.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
Pooka, don't be discouraged by pessimists, but DO BE realistic and go to Montana in person to research towns where your husband may be able to find a job. Billings has the best job prospects right now, so I suggest starting with a visit there.

Hope that helps.

H.I.
thank you i appreciate your kind words....i will definitely be realistic about things

Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I was fortunate to have relocated to MT with a job. I had to cover expenses, but it was worth it.

For what it's worth, my wife had tried to find P/T work in the North Central WV counties when we lived there, especially in para or substitute teaching and there was NOTHING. There was a well entrenched system of nepotism and favoritism in that region.

We moved to Helena and within 2 months she was working full time in that field.

Not saying that is the norm, and we may be fortunate, but I don't see job prospects here as being any WORSE than when we left WV. Costs are higher here, but it was well worth the move.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I was fortunate to have relocated to MT with a job. I had to cover expenses, but it was worth it.

For what it's worth, my wife had tried to find P/T work in the North Central WV counties when we lived there, especially in para or substitute teaching and there was NOTHING. There was a well entrenched system of nepotism and favoritism in that region.

We moved to Helena and within 2 months she was working full time in that field.

Not saying that is the norm, and we may be fortunate, but I don't see job prospects here as being any WORSE than when we left WV. Costs are higher here, but it was well worth the move.
im glad to see it worked out for you guys....we haven't 100% decided where we are going to which is why im trying to get a feel for places via the forums....i knew someone who moved from here to MT and she had visited it before she moved and she loved it! im sure id love it out there too it sounds really wonderful...and compared to how things are here im betting its better there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana