Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:39 AM

12 posts, read 18,528 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have read so many threads over where to live in Montana I totally got confused. I think it will be better if I lay out the situation;

Years and years ago I have heard from someone Montana was amazing place with all the mountains, trees, nature. I have never been there but I kept looking at the pictures whenever I can.

I've got my second kid this year. We live in Houston and the heat gets me time to time so bad. Our families live in Australia and Turkey. We have been trying to visit one of them once a year but financially, physically it is becoming a burden with my husband's 3 weeks vacation and single salary.

Recently we have been talking about buying a place in Montana to go for vacations. I am sure we will visit before we buy anything but I would like to hear some options.

We don't need anything fancy, we don't need to be in the city or being close to the shopping centers etc... I would love to have a place with walking access to river and mountain view on the back. It would be nice to be able to have a day trip to yellowstone national park by car. As good as it sounds for being able to live away from civilization I still would like to be able to access to the place during winter w/o snowmobile. Sustainable energy sources are really tempting but I would like to have water, power, possibly gas access for the kiddos in the property. How are we going to keep the place all together while we are living in TX is still a question.

Thank you so much for your contribution!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:03 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,250 times
A way to start would be contacting real estate companies in Montana towns near entrances to Yellowstone.
Gardiner, MT
Livingston, MT
Red Lodge, MT
West Yellowstone, MT

Rather than buying, consider renting a cabin or vacation house, which would make more sense if you aren't going to live there.

Hope that helps.
H.I.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:10 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Another option, (not one I would probably use, but still viable) is time shares at Big Sky or West Yellowstone.

If you are just looking for a vacation place, Montana land is expensive especially in the Paradise and Gallatin valleys, and upkeep in our harsh environment can be tough as well.

There are lots of cabins available for rent all over southwest Montana, so it would probably be a much more viable option for you.

Good Luck.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:28 AM

Thank you!

We thought about renting but we have to carry bunch of stuff back and ford with the kids. Not to mention finding a spot during peak season etc... The option is still on the table but we will see.
We are planning to be able to go there Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break, summer even for 3 days weekends during the year (I can stay longer after my husband goes back to work). Thank you for the names of the towns.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:56 AM

214 posts, read 601,753 times
Have you searched Home Owner Associations as a good resource for finding that vacation property in Montana? I've done this before when I travel, rather than talking to real estate people, and had success finding rentals or places to buy. They tend to keep up with the pulse of their communities better and they know who wants to rent, sell, or owners in trouble. There are a few in the Yellowstone or Bozeman area.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:43 PM

213 posts, read 696,902 times
One thing you'll want to consider before taking that step is the costs of travel to Montana. Most of our airports are small, are served by a limited number of airlines, and tend to be quite expensive to fly in and out of. Add to that the expense of renting a car for the time you're here, and it will be something to consider.

There are some nice areas in NW Montana that would be a reasonable drive to and from the Spokane, WA airport (at least in good weather), which would be less expensive to travel to and from. There are some areas around Thompson Falls and Plains that have most of what you are looking for at a reasonable price.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:24 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo403 View Post
One thing you'll want to consider before taking that step is the costs of travel to Montana. Most of our airports are small, are served by a limited number of airlines, and tend to be quite expensive to fly in and out of. Add to that the expense of renting a car for the time you're here, and it will be something to consider.

There are some nice areas in NW Montana that would be a reasonable drive to and from the Spokane, WA airport (at least in good weather), which would be less expensive to travel to and from. There are some areas around Thompson Falls and Plains that have most of what you are looking for at a reasonable price.
Absolutely--look at Trout Creek, Noxon, Thompson Falls, and while you're at it, extend your search into North Idaho. Properties are somewhat less expensive there. Too far for a day trip to Yellowstone, but you can do an overnight trip to Glacier instead! If you really want a vacation place of your own, go for it. If you have good neighbors they'll look in on your place for you--you just have to make sure to reciprocate in some way. Get/build a sturdy place that can withstand the weight of snow even when you aren't there to fix things. Clear trees and brush so wildfires are less of a threat. Just don't leave anything of value in the cabin!

We're building a cabin on the North Idaho-Montana border, 2 hours from Spokane Airport, and until we retire it will be for vacations. As much as it may be more practical to rent a cabin, there's nothing like owning your own little piece of heaven, and getting to know the neighborhood (and contributing to the economy ), and putting down roots. It will be a magic time for your kids, something that will stay with them forever. I know you're not talking about a big second home, one of those that drive the property prices up, but a little place for a little family, a Little Ol' Cabin in the West...

I think it would make sense to rent a place for the first summer, and maybe even the second, drive around and see what appeals to you, and evaluate whether your dream is feasible at all. At least you'll have a couple of great vacation trips!

Old 11-21-2011, 03:53 PM

Jbechtel: I never thought of HOA. It is a very good way to start. No real estate agency is involved in the beginning is better Thank you!

Bongo403: I have been booking international trips for the last 10+years. This year when the airline told us cheapest flight to Australia was $2000+ per person, we, as a family of four, have decided to stop this madness. Same for Turkey, after the flight, gifts for family members, visiting relatives, small road trips, jet-lag etc... I am more tired than I was on vacation not to mention a small fortune is out from our savings. Compare to what we are spending , Montana seems very reasonable. Besides my husband accumulates plenty of miles via his work. It usually is very easy to spend them on domestic flights but impossible to spend it for international.. Thank you for pointing that one out, I will look for bigger airport areas.

Clark for Fantast: You are absolutely right. Nothing beats opening the door of your own home! I also believe if you hang on to your property long enough you will get your money back. I don't expect to make any profit from this place but after we are done (if we ever) along the years, we should be able to sell same amount or little more or less. We are definitely not looking for second big house, just a small cabin with two bedrooms for family of four.

"Nothing valuable in the cabin" note is well taken. I want them(my kids) to appreciate the nature so I don't think I will carry the whole technology and valuables with us.

I am soo looking forward to go to Montana and explore during summer. It is 2 days before Thanksgiving and we have AC unit running full speed to cool the house down since it is stinking 90F outside. We were planning for January skiing trip at the Big Sky but the places I look for were already occupied or the ones left were reaching $600 per night. I might start planning summer a lot earlier...

thank you !

Old 11-21-2011, 04:09 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,250 times
For skiing, check out Bridger Bowl close to Bozeman, a ski area that was developed by locals long before the Big Sky resort was built.

There are many people renting small houses in Bozeman for vacations both in summer and winter.
You can still plan a January ski trip to Bridger Bowl and stay in Bozeman.

Check out these links:
Bozeman Cottage Vacation Rentals, Homes large and small located in and around Bozeman, Montana.* Your one-stop source for a Bozeman vacation rental.
Bozeman House and Vacation Home Rental, Montana
and cabins you can rent
Bozeman Vacation Rentals Montana Cabin Rentals Montana Log Cabin Rentals Montana Gallatin Flyfishing Boseman Cross Country Skiing Silver Creek Cabins Pets Okay

Hope that helps.

H.I.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 PM

Thank you H.I. I will definetely look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana