Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,310 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just received orders that we will be moving to Great Falls this summer where my husband will work at Malmstrom AFB. Since we will only be stationed there for less than 2 years, we are planning to rent. We are really hoping to rent a house - hopefully 3 bedrooms with a 2 car garage. Are there many houses available for rent in the area? Where would we look to see what is available for rent?

Any other tips I should know about searching for housing? (We would prefer not to live on base.) Thanks in advance for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
There are people here that don't want you to move to Montana. They are selfish and want everything for themselves. The big sky, the stars, the moon, everything.

I wish you the best of luck. You can move here and enjoy life. Hiking, camping, fishing and such, you'll have fun.

But, you will run into Montanan's that are hard fast, die hard, "We don't want your kind here." Just keeping up with the ilk. Please read the "We don't want others in our area" . We own Montana and don't want other folks to experience this. Stay away. Get the hell out! Tell them.

I, on the other hand, welcome you.

First off, thank you for you service. We can't thank you enough for time served. Oh, just a wife? Yeah, right. You have given more then most people have. You've stood fast while they are away. You've held up your end of the bargain. Not always easy. Matter of fact, never easy.

So welcome to Montana. You are always welcome in my eyes. To you sir, I salute you. To you mam, I salute you also. Thank you for all you have endured.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
There are people here that don't want you to move to Montana. They are selfish and want everything for themselves. The big sky, the stars, the moon, everything.

I wish you the best of luck. You can move here and enjoy life. Hiking, camping, fishing and such, you'll have fun.

But, you will run into Montanan's that are hard fast, die hard, "We don't want your kind here." Just keeping up with the ilk. Please read the "We don't want others in our area" . We own Montana and don't want other folks to experience this. Stay away. Get the hell out! Tell them.

First off, thank you for you service. We can't thank you enough for time served. Oh, just a wife? Yeah, right. You have given more then most people have. You've stood fast while they are away. You've held up your end of the bargain. Not always easy. Matter of fact, never easy.

So welcome to Montana. You are always welcome in my eyes. To you sir, I salute you. To you mam, I salute you also. Thank you for all you have endured.
Well said!!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:57 PM

65 posts, read 206,087 times
Welcome & many thanks. Do you know Montana has more serviceman per capita than any other state? There is a memorial in St. Ignatius, MT (tiny town of 900 or so) with over a 100 names of residents and former residents who have served and who passed away - they need to add my uncle who died in Great Falls on Monday. He served in WW11, a good lot of time behind enemy lines blowing up bridges etc. - he was 90 and was still a fighter.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:20 PM

I am going to adhere. I gave the good bubble. I did what I could. Hey, I did what I could. Had a hell of a job. A good job it was.

Ive had a good life.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:25 AM

2 posts, read 9,883 times
Default welcome

Malmstrom has a great housing office. I would look into a local real estate office for a few other choices.

As a wife of an airman stationed here- I hope you enjoy your time here. We love it here.

if you have any other questions just ask!
also i recommend visiting GreaterFalls : A Blog About Great Falls, Montana!
it is a local blog written by a retired airman.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:48 PM

95 posts, read 380,348 times
Quote:

I really think that folks in Great Falls are quite used to people moving in and out of the area as they are stationed at Malmstrom! The AFB has been there a LONG time. So while it is nice that this guy is saying nice things, I think he is overstating the potential negative reaction.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:11 PM

Nope, don't believe I am. Military or not, they don't like outsiders. They look at everybody as an outsider, potential advocate, danger to Montana and I really have to agree. If somebody moves in, are they military, temporary family, or are they California transplants. They don't know until you've been there for a bit and talked to people.

Too many family's have been burnt by transplants. So their anger and resistiveness is justified. They have more transplants then they do Military. But once they understand that your military, things are cool. For the most part.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 PM

95 posts, read 380,348 times
Quote:

Too many family's have been burnt by transplants. So their anger and resistiveness is justified. .
Wow, what a sad statement. Folks like you speak of must have an average IQ far from triple digits, huh. Good ones to stay away from.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:27 PM

198 posts, read 354,404 times
I was an airman stationed in Glasgow AFB in the 1960's. It still makes me shudder to think of that experience.

We used to comment that anyone who got stationed at Malmstrom was going to Mecca. It's all relative of course, but the western part of the state can't be at all compared with the Godforsaken east. I know...some people love it there. I was just never one of those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana