Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:07 PM

52 posts, read 79,613 times

Advertisements

My last question of the day...I have been reading that there is a big collection of wildlife in the Rattlesnake Rec Area such as bears and cougar. My question is this...is it safe to hike in this area alone and being a female? Not sure of the gun laws in your state, but will read up on the subject.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 05:03 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,631,757 times
As long as you get a CWP (concealed weapons permit), you can carry. If I'm out on horseback, I always carry. Encounters with grizzlies have risen dramatically. There is also a problem with mountain lions as the hunts don't permit as many females to be taken and they are the problem.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:20 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times
I'd second the above posters comment, although bear spray is a good thing, and is actually easier to use when the moment comes. Also (not to be offensive) it's wise for female hikers in bear country to take extra per cautions when the monthly visitor is in town, especially if you are camping.

I had a grizzly encounter a little over a month ago, and can say that however well you think you are prepared, be ready for what you don't expect.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:56 PM

Oh my gosh....I am laughing at your post about the visitor. I have not laughed that hard in a long long time so thank you for that!! Surgery took care of that so It really won't be a proble
m

Can you tell me about your bear encounter? Just very fascinated with big game even though they scare me.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:01 PM

Magoomafoo,
Is this a problem in Missoula? If my memory serves me correctly Missoula is fairly close to the rec area. It is nice to know that all I need is a permit to carry. I heard that bear spray just pisses them off...is that true?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:02 PM

Magoomafoo,

Is this a problem in Missoula? If my memory serves me correctly Missoula is fairly close to the rec area. It is nice to know that all I need is a permit to carry. I heard that bear spray just pisses them off...is that true?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:03 PM

Sorry...hit the post button twice.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature girl? View Post
Oh my gosh....I am laughing at your post about the visitor. I have not laughed that hard in a long long time so thank you for that!! Surgery took care of that so It really won't be a proble
m

Can you tell me about your bear encounter? Just very fascinated with big game even though they scare me.
Sure! I do a lot of work in the backcountry, but this
encounter caught me off guard. I was on my way down from a job site, on my ATV, (on a trail I know very well) and on the last blind curve before I hit the trailhead where my truck and trailer were parked, (my eyes were on the curve and I was moving pretty fast) as the trail straightened and I looked up about 30' in front of me was a small griz, walking towards me, up the trail... So I hit the brakes (took about 15' to stop) and the two of us looked at each other for a few seconds.. I was close enough to see which way it's eyes were looking. It ran into the trees, and because of it's small size I took an improvised route back to the truck in case MOMMA was around.

Didn't need to shoot or anything, but the thought crossed my mind as I was backing up the ATV.

This was just outside Lincoln, at the beginning of hunting season, so I'd imagine that the bruin was out eating on some gut piles down by the road and heading home when I saw him.

Good times!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:29 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
I always carry bear spray if I go anywhere where there are bears or mountain lions, although the only scary run-ins I've had have been with moose. I'm not sure that being female will have much effect on any wildlife encounters though.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:34 PM

Timberwolf Lincoln is up north right? I would expect more encounters up north as you discovered. You must have a cool job!

Well glad momma was not in your path or you WOULD have had real good times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana