Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:32 PM

989 posts, read 3,516,581 times

Advertisements

One thing that does **** me off though... when you see me riding down the side of the road on my horse, SLOW DOWN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 05:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,922,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
One thing that does **** me off though... when you see me riding down the side of the road on my horse, SLOW DOWN.
I've noticed that as well, I always move to the middle of the road or on the oposite side so as not to spook the horse. Just a little courtesy goes a long way imo...

Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,626,230 times
Default then go back home

[quote=Gulskjegg;1436181]I am originally from Philadelphia, and having travelled Asia, Europe (East, West and as the Czech's say 'Central'), South America, and North America coast-to-coast (Canada included) Id have to say the people in Montana, or the town of Cut Bank specifically, are the lowest form of life I have yet to encounter. Barely meeting the term "people". Every foul, vile aspect of humanity, they have in abundance.

Backstabbing, falsity, treacherous, gossipy, jealous, petty, hatefull, childish, etc etc.

My wife boiled it down to "They have failed at life, and its easier to blame those outside their pathetically tiny circle then blame themselves". I was amused to read a report on this forum about Colstrip, Montana. It was a carbon copy of everything we experienced! Minus the dead animal on the doorstep and vandalized cars of course.

Failed at life? Not all residents of montana are bad people. Are you basing your opinion of all Montanans on your experience with a few bad seeds? I will have you know that our homecoming is this weekend. The junior class has nominated a foreign exchange student for royalty. Imagine that, an outsider from another COUNTRY. I could go on and on about the heart and soul in our community. Another thing, one of our past residents moved to Cut Bank a few years ago. I can personally tell you that him and his family are some of the finest, nicest, caring people I have ever met. In the future, please choose your words wisely. Mabey you and your wife could get out more and meet more people without the stigma you seem to be stuck on.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I've noticed that as well, I always move to the middle of the road or on the oposite side so as not to spook the horse. Just a little courtesy goes a long way imo...
True. Im always very grateful to those who know horse etiquette. In time past everyone knew, now some folks just don't know. I don't think they mean to be rude, they have just never been told.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:56 PM

8,084 posts, read 15,104,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
True. Im always very grateful to those who know horse etiquette. In time past everyone knew, now some folks just don't know. I don't think they mean to be rude, they have just never been told.
And don't realise that a startled horse can go ballistic and hurt or even kill its rider. -- Doesn't cost ya anything to slow down a bit and move over, just in case that horse isn't really traffic-broke, or has a brain cramp as horses are apt to do when spooked.

On the flipside, I've seen a few rude riders who amble right down the middle of the road and expect drivers to crawl along behind 'em for a Long Way, when they could just as easily step to the side of the road for a moment and let the car go by. So it goes both ways!

Last edited by Reziac; 10-10-2008 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: I liked different words better :)

Old 11-01-2008, 07:37 PM

49 posts, read 106,997 times
Default Montanan's Not tied to the hip

Just as Montana has room to roam, so do the people. It's nice, you get used to it.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:11 PM

175 posts, read 438,622 times
People in the western U.S. small towns can seem to be a little more "different" (not in a bad way as we are "different" as well" and that causes people from other areas to feel very unwelcome. Has happened to me. It seems like the attitude can be "friendly and welcoming isn't very tough". And these westerners like to feel "tough". In addition to the higher than average drug problems in these areas, people can become very paranoid of others.

Thats why so many people from other areas just like to vacation in these areas rather than live. I'm in rural Northern New Mexico and the same vibe occurs here in the rural areas. You don't expect it but it happens and that's why I'm going to move to a larger city in the western U.S.

Make the rural area in the west a vacation place rather than a move in. The bigger cities in the west are usually better social wise than the rural areas. I think a larger city in Montana would definately be better than a rural setting.

As long as some of these towns continue their meth infestations and attitude deals, then they won't attract people. There won't be growth, there won't be a variety of good people, and people will continue to feel unlwecome. That's basically how it is.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
On the flipside, I've seen a few rude riders who amble right down the middle of the road and expect drivers to crawl along behind 'em for a Long Way, when they could just as easily step to the side of the road for a moment and let the car go by. So it goes both ways!
Very true.

On another note, when Im pulling my trailer with horses or cattle I drive pretty slow around the corners and in my braking; anyone who has pulled livestock understands its for the animals comfort and safety-- for those of you who have not pulled livestock, be patient we're not trying to be jerks we just care about our animals.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:29 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,638,348 times
Good for you to care for your stock. My personal is a RV on a winding road going 35 mph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana