Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:35 PM

13 posts, read 30,910 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon every one. I am a single mom of one child and have two dogs... I have been raised in California and lived a short time in Utah. Me and my son like to travel to other states and we really want out of California for a number of reasons. We found the town of Forsyth and Miles City that we are really considering moving to. If you could give us any information as in how it is there, is it hard to make quality friends for children or adults, what the schools are like do they have a good hospital and is it hard to find a place to live there?

I ask these because as a mother I have concerns but also there are certain needs we have. We will be traveling by vehicle with a travel trailer... I know we can stay in that until we find a house in our price range.. I have looked up a lot of information but its not the same from people who live there. or who transplanted there. I do know you have better air quality but apparently the water is worse... I find that hard to believe but that is what the internet says...

I am looking online to try and line up a job. So far I have not found anything in my field, but I am willing to look outside the box.. thank you for everyone that responds to my thread.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 12:58 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,769,080 times
I can't say much, but I will suggest you consider maybe looking for work in Billings and living outside it for awhile and then if you want to be further out you can try to find a more rural job that allows that later.

Or if you want more rural places to look for jobs right away, maybe also look at Glendive and Sidney and maybe Lewiston.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:49 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,631,331 times
I would seek employment first in either of those two towns. Things are heating up in the Bakken area, so it may not be tough, but still advisable.

I do like both towns quite a bit. Nice folks.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:53 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michrdias View Post
Good afternoon every one. I am a single mom of one child and have two dogs... I have been raised in California and lived a short time in Utah. Me and my son like to travel to other states and we really want out of California for a number of reasons. We found the town of Forsyth and Miles City that we are really considering moving to. If you could give us any information as in how it is there, is it hard to make quality friends for children or adults, what the schools are like do they have a good hospital and is it hard to find a place to live there?

I ask these because as a mother I have concerns but also there are certain needs we have. We will be traveling by vehicle with a travel trailer... I know we can stay in that until we find a house in our price range.. I have looked up a lot of information but its not the same from people who live there. or who transplanted there. I do know you have better air quality but apparently the water is worse... I find that hard to believe but that is what the internet says...

I am looking online to try and line up a job. So far I have not found anything in my field, but I am willing to look outside the box.. thank you for everyone that responds to my thread.

Someone else can chime in more, but Eastern Montana is in the midst of an oil boom and so there housing may be more difficult to obtain. Billings is also a good place to look as well. It is one of the more urban areas of the state but still will be much less urban than anywhere in California. Eastern Montana has the best people in the state, very down to earth and real.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:58 PM

Thank you all for the response.. I will look into those.. I do want to stay out of billings.. I want to keep to the eastern side if possible..

I was also wondering I heard that the water in Montana is bad or of low quality... I usually drink bottle water anyways but how bad or what makes the water there so bad?

Aside from the new boom in industry what other industries there are decent to get hired on at.. I know my field went down hill so I will have to work in something else.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM

also why are there so many offenders there? every little town I look at there is at least 40... And some show to live near schools and parks... In calif they are not allowed to live so close to those places, how is it there?

Old 02-14-2012, 01:43 PM

203 posts, read 496,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michrdias View Post
also why are there so many offenders there? every little town I look at there is at least 40... And some show to live near schools and parks... In calif they are not allowed to live so close to those places, how is it there?
Something I noticed as well. But when I compared the number per population, not really far off than say a city of 9 million+.

Doesn't make me feel better, but at least they are under law and you can see the address.

Megan's law to me, a good thing.

Regardless, you should be aware of your children and their whereabouts. My kid is told often that we are the strictest parents. But we also explained to her why... she understands. We hope.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
First the water. Take a look at this map of oil and gas wells. http://www.eser.org/ It's interactive so you can zoom in a bit and see what's going on. My experience, and I'm no geologist, is that anytime you are around oil, gas and coal, the mineral content of water sucks. I used to live in Gillette Wyoming. Water is measured on a scale of 0-???? Anything over 50 is considered hard water. In Gillette, (oil and coal area) after the water was run through a water softener, they could only get it down to 180 or so. The water, although they said it was ok to drink, had a nasty odor to it.

Sex offenders - I would use the stats listed as a warning. It doesn't mean that there are perverts lurking behind every dumpster. Be aware of your surroundings, know what time to expect your children home, know who they are playing with, know where they are going to be, in other words, be a good parent.

Think about this:

Party A: Street dance gets out, guy is headed for his pickup truck. Has a long drive home. He's parked on the next block and decides to stop and take a leak behind a telephone pole in the alley before making the drive. A cop see's him do that and writes him a ticket for "Defouling" and he pays a $80 ticket.

Party B: Street dance gets out, guy is headed for his pickup truck. Has a long drive home. He's parked on the next block and decides to stop and take a leak behind a telephone pole in the alley before making the drive. A family, also leaving the street dance, has a 11 year old daughter that points and says, "Daddy, look at that idiot behind the pole. What's he doing?" A cop hear's her say that and arrests the guy behind the pole. She didn't see what he was doing, just that he was behind the pole doing something. He goes to court, pays massive fine, spends 60-90 days in jail and for the rest of his life, registers as a sex offender.

Same guy, two outcomes. I used to work in a jail and this actually happened to a guy.

So my advice is to pay attention that those numbers mean something and you should pay attention to them. But I wouldn't worry myself over the raw numbers. In most cases (where I live) sex offenders are maintained on a website and it lists what they were convicted of. There are some that you do need to be aware of. There are some that are of no concern. Unless you know the exact circumstance.......

I live in Wyoming (I'm not that familar with Montana's sex offender laws), but here, there are levels of offence. When they are run through the court system, an independent panel determines if they are a threat or not. Depending on the level of offence and depending on what the panel determines, they just might live next to a school if they are not considered a threat. In the above scenario, would you mind if the guy taking a leak behind a light pole down town in an alley, lived next to a school?

Old 02-14-2012, 05:38 PM

203 posts, read 496,536 times
Yeah, that is pretty much like anywhere in the Country. What you see are numbers. It is like this all over the country. I know a few examples of people in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong crowd. Good people, just guilty of circumstance.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:14 PM

THank you for the info I to am strict and my son hates it, One reason we are trying to get out of city is so he has a little more freedom like I did growing up but that is hard since things have changed since then... I am in the criminal justice field so I understand and know the two stories, but when I was looking on the map of where these people are I see they are next to parks and schools and such and here in California even if it was wrong place wrong time and they still got busted they are not allowed to be near those places that is more my concern with that.. I am a single mother so I wont be able to watch every second...

Thanks for the web address I am going to look into it now.

So Glendive seems nice if anyone knows info or knows of a place hiring please let me know the sooner I can get out of California I think the happier we will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana