U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM

31 posts, read 40,970 times

Advertisements

Red Lodge, sorry for not abbreviating it to RL for you folks who live on an I Phone... RL is not, NOT an I phone town... if you want I phone access, stay in Sheridan. Red Lodge is a wonderful town. Occasionally over there for work, I train operators at the dam in Mystic Lake. If you are looking for a good ol town to live in with out to many expectations of city life and want to be peaceful and involved, good on you. If you are looking to retire and change it to the town you used to live in... well, stay out, you will lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,564,737 times
This video will give you an over-view of Red Lodge.
Red Lodge Montana - YouTube

H.I.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:13 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,447,080 times
After over a year living in RL, I would say it is the closest to Mayberry we've ever seen & is how we describe it to friends. It is one of the friendliest small towns with unpretentious folks.

During the year we have never seen any lines into restaurants or shops, much less the long lines mentioned by a poster on the first page of this thread LOL.

RL has a conservative, rancher population, a family, non-pretentious ski area, and a very safe feel, where we don't lock the doors.

The victorian houses & historic downtown district has beautiful architecture.

Any reason in the world necessitates a parade in RL.

The community is very child-oriented with kids on scooters all over, the fire engines leading the winning teams back into town with sirens blaring, & the school principals very involved with high expectations for students. I would say it is an ideal spot to raise children.

The hiking in the area is tremendous, there is a lot of rain & water for lush environ & the town is very bike/walking friendly. Quite a few retired folks in town.

The local grocery store is not the best & a lot of us go to Laurel to SuperWalMart or Billings to Costco or such. There are healthfoods shelves & cooler in Regis Cafe.

There is a strong sense of community, with a lot of benefits for anyone sick or injured in which the whole town seems to turn out.

The latter part of July... must love motorcycles for the infamous beartooth motorcycle rally! Vrrrrrooom!

RL location is perfect for one of the most scenic drives anywhere- the Beartooth Hwy into Yellowstone. Bicyclists train by riding up & down the pass. I can get into Yellowstone in 2 hours & spend most of my summer camping/hiking/wildlife watching there.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:15 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,930,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
After over a year living in RL, I would say it is the closest to Mayberry we've ever seen & is how we describe it to friends. It is one of the friendliest small towns with unpretentious folks.

During the year we have never seen any lines into restaurants or shops, much less the long lines mentioned by a poster on the first page of this thread LOL.

RL has a conservative, rancher population, a family, non-pretentious ski area, and a very safe feel, where we don't lock the doors.

The victorian houses & historic downtown district has beautiful architecture.

Any reason in the world necessitates a parade in RL.

The community is very child-oriented with kids on scooters all over, the fire engines leading the winning teams back into town with sirens blaring, & the school principals very involved with high expectations for students. I would say it is an ideal spot to raise children.

The hiking in the area is tremendous, there is a lot of rain & water for lush environ & the town is very bike/walking friendly. Quite a few retired folks in town.

The local grocery store is not the best & a lot of us go to Laurel to SuperWalMart or Billings to Costco or such. There are healthfoods shelves & cooler in Regis Cafe.

There is a strong sense of community, with a lot of benefits for anyone sick or injured in which the whole town seems to turn out.

The latter part of July... must love motorcycles for the infamous beartooth motorcycle rally! Vrrrrrooom!

RL location is perfect for one of the most scenic drives anywhere- the Beartooth Hwy into Yellowstone. Bicyclists train by riding up & down the pass. I can get into Yellowstone in 2 hours & spend most of my summer camping/hiking/wildlife watching there.
What is the cost of living like in RL? Are homes expensive? Typical rent? I spent a week in the area with a friend who lives just outside the town, on Meeteetse Trail Road. You could hear Rock Creek from outside her home I fell in love with the area!

Old 06-28-2013, 07:23 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,447,080 times
Best to do a MLS search for Red Lodge to get a comprehensive view of realty. There are cheap old houses that need work & expensive mansions.

Red Lodge Homes,Land and Investment Property for Sale, - Home Page

Median rent in 2009 or 2100 was around $600.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Red-Lodge-Montana.html

Check out rentals in local paper:
Carbon County News

Red Lodge is horse country & rodeo rules! They even ski-jour with horses!

Old 05-19-2014, 01:55 PM

5 posts, read 8,687 times
Cool Is Red Lodge still Wolf murdering capitol of US?

A local man here murdered one of the 1st wolves to return to the area a some years back, skinning it, chopping its head off and placing it in his garage to conceal what he had done. The town held parades for him and made him a hero, even though the wolf was a single, collared male, posing no threat but to be all alone atop a ridge, trying to live his life. Just wondering, are the people here as ignorant and mean-spirited toward wolves as I have heard? I don't want to live in a town that is not supportive of endangered species, especially with the bloodbath Idaho and Montana has been giving to hundreds of wolves and wolf pups the last 5 years. Also, usually the anti-wolf crowd are also anti-Native American. Would like to know if that is the case here? Looking for a progressive, dynamic town that embraces nature and not just each other. Hoping to be near skiing, fishing, wolves, bears and forest. Do not wish to be near a bunch of scared city people who only move to the mtns to avoid crime, or simple minded rednecks who think they own the place simply because they were hatched there. Many Canadian towns come to mind, is there any progressive, outdoors oriented communities in the Pacific NW, still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitplan View Post
I have been looking in Wyoming for a second home when someone mentioned Red Lodge to me. Have not been there but, It looks amazing! I am wondering what are the people like? I am looking for a low key Mayberry type town, the smaller the better with easy access to outdoor activity (hiking,fishing etc) Any info. would be great!

Thanks

Old 05-19-2014, 02:47 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,186,017 times
Ooooh.

Old 05-19-2014, 06:10 PM

12 posts, read 32,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Responsible Adult View Post
or simple minded rednecks who think they own the place simply because they were hatched there. Many Canadian towns come to mind, is [sic] there any progressive, outdoors oriented communities in the Pacific NW, still?
That's quite the racist term there for someone who avows to be a progressive, isn't it?

Montana is not part of the Pacific Northwest. The PNW would include parts of Washington, Oregon, and California and into British Columbia (with BC obviously being in the SW of Canada).

Old 05-19-2014, 07:23 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,354,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Responsible Adult View Post
A local man here murdered one of the 1st wolves to return to the area a some years back, skinning it, chopping its head off and placing it in his garage to conceal what he had done. The town held parades for him and made him a hero, even though the wolf was a single, collared male, posing no threat but to be all alone atop a ridge, trying to live his life. Just wondering, are the people here as ignorant and mean-spirited toward wolves as I have heard? I don't want to live in a town that is not supportive of endangered species, especially with the bloodbath Idaho and Montana has been giving to hundreds of wolves and wolf pups the last 5 years. Also, usually the anti-wolf crowd are also anti-Native American. Would like to know if that is the case here? Looking for a progressive, dynamic town that embraces nature and not just each other. Hoping to be near skiing, fishing, wolves, bears and forest. Do not wish to be near a bunch of scared city people who only move to the mtns to avoid crime, or simple minded rednecks who think they own the place simply because they were hatched there. Many Canadian towns come to mind, is there any progressive, outdoors oriented communities in the Pacific NW, still?

Canada, Oregon, Washington, all come to mind as they would probably be a lot better place for you, and your mindset. You most certainly won't like Montana, where the simple minded rednecks tend to protect their cattle, horses, and children for vicious wolves. I don't think Montana has any wolves that just want to stand on a ridge and mind their own business. Most wolves in Montana have to eat in order to survive, and if that was all they did, well then they'd probably get along just fine, but unfortunately, it wasn't too long ago that a pack of wolves killed 110 sheep in one night, looking for that exact delecacy that they wanted and after killing 110 sheep, decided that there were none of them to their liking, so they just trotted off.

I think Washington and Oregon have some of those wolves that don't eat, you might want to check there.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 05-20-2014, 11:37 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,962,883 times
This is one of those smart thinkers' projects.

In Montana we all have a deep rooted Libertarian bent. I mean Libertarian in the most basic sense, not organized party belonging.

It is projects like wolf re-introduction that keep the distrust of the federal government alive and well in Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana