Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:22 PM

6 posts, read 67,807 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!! I need some advice!! I'm living in AZ at the time and I am completely tired of the heat and the dry whether!!

My thoughts are to find some land maybe something like 200 to 500 acres and start crop farming since I have about three years experience in farming!!

I would be looking for land to lease or rent!! I can't seem to figure out where in Montana I would like to live and or Farm!!

Any tips or advice on this Idea would be helpful!

I need to know if there is even Land available!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:09 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,471 times
How much do you have in savings? An extreme move like that will take money - lots of money. Moving expenses, down payment for land, payments for farming equipment, carrying costs until you can get a harvest in to pay some of the bills you'll run up, the heating costs alone for one winter are going to take you by surprise...

If you are interested in checking out Montana and interested in farming... my suggestion would be to try and find a large farm or ranch that would take you on for the summer. Many large farms or ranches have housing available (or a place to park your travel trailer). You really need to see if you like it before making an extreme move like you are talking about.

Make sure your desire to pull up stakes and move are not based on the romantic idea of farming and "living off the land" in Montana. This scenario does take place at times, but these are folks that have lived here for years - possibly generations on the same farm. The difference between that and starting a farm from raw land is night and day.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM

Thankyou Very much for the info!!! First off im 20 and single and have very little things to go with me as far as just stuff!!!! Im working for a guy right now that started out as I want to!!!

Find some land for lease or rent and borrow money from the GOV since I will be a first time farmer, and start from there!!

All i need is a few hundred acres and a place to live and it dont have to be big!!!

Let me know what you think!! I need all the info I can get!!!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 PM

443 posts, read 806,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strite92 View Post
Thankyou Very much for the info!!! First off im 20 and single and have very little things to go with me as far as just stuff!!!! Im working for a guy right now that started out as I want to!!!

Find some land for lease or rent and borrow money from the GOV since I will be a first time farmer, and start from there!!

All i need is a few hundred acres and a place to live and it dont have to be big!!!

Let me know what you think!! I need all the info I can get!!!
Getting money from the government is easy in Montana, you don't have to pay it back either. It's best to diversify your operation to maximize cash flow. You can get federal subsidies for wheat, barley, oats, peas, cattle, sheep etc. There are also disaster subsidies which cover drought or flooding (you should get one or the other every year). Get set up with some land and contact your local county extension agent, they will help you with the paperwork.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 PM

thankyou Very much!!! and is there a possibility of land being ready to lease?

And what other info can you give me about first time farming in Montana?

Do a lot of people water the crops or is most of it dry land?

How much rain in a year on average?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,672,147 times
big state friend with many different zones, can you narrow down an area?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:10 PM

I dont really care where!!!! where its green and flat but still mountains and has tons of farming going on!!!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM

My buddy went and got 300,000 to start a farm from the Gov...

I figure with that much i could lease equipment and land till i get on my feet!!!

And im used to working my butt off!! lol

Old 04-10-2012, 06:37 AM

203 posts, read 496,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
Getting money from the government is easy in Montana, you don't have to pay it back either. It's best to diversify your operation to maximize cash flow. You can get federal subsidies for wheat, barley, oats, peas, cattle, sheep etc. There are also disaster subsidies which cover drought or flooding (you should get one or the other every year). Get set up with some land and contact your local county extension agent, they will help you with the paperwork.
Here is a great site to help the OP qualify for such things.

2012 Farm and Ranch Lands Protection Program | Montana NRCS

Good luck make sure you come back and tell us how it is going!

Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 AM

443 posts, read 806,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strite92 View Post
thankyou Very much!!! and is there a possibility of land being ready to lease?

And what other info can you give me about first time farming in Montana?

Do a lot of people water the crops or is most of it dry land?

How much rain in a year on average?
Here are a few listings for parcels in Northeastern MT. Missouri River Realty
These listings include both dry land and irrigated land. This area averages 12-13 inches of rain a year. Water rights are critical for raising a hay crop.
There are opportunities to lease farm land but it won't be as lucrative as owning. Taxes on agricultural land in MT are minimal.
Take advantage of the Fed Gov. young farmer program to purchase land http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?a...fmlp&topic=bfl and diversify to maximize the farm subsidies.
There is a saying in agriculture, "get big or get out"- the bigger you are the more federal funds you can harvest.
In 10 or 20 years, you'll be able to sit at the bar amongst fellow "producers" and reminisce about being a self-made man.

Last edited by ursa22; 04-10-2012 at 08:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: