U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-15-2012, 03:13 PM

443 posts, read 388,374 times
Default Montana Crime Statistics

There may be a few surprises in this data. Popular perception is often at odds with reality.
http://mbcc.mt.gov/Data/publications/cim/CIM2008.pdf
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 06:30 PM

189 posts, read 178,646 times
I found this interesting:

Quote:
In total, a firearm was used in 13 of the 29 homicides. A handgun was the most commonly used type of firearm. The second most commonly used weapon was knife/cutting instrument, followed by person weapons such as hands and feet.

[LEFT]
In a state where MOST households have guns, less than half of the homicides involved firearms.[/LEFT]

Old 04-15-2012, 08:10 PM

200 posts, read 219,485 times
We really to go after those knives and cutting instruments.

People don't kill people, knives and cutting instruments kill people.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:33 PM

4,107 posts, read 6,793,016 times
WOW! Montana's overall crime index is in line with the U.S. in that it's trending downward!

Thanks for this insightful and timely information! I feel better knowing my reloading supplies in my garage are less inclined to get 'lifted' by some miscreant!

Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 AM

443 posts, read 388,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Roam View Post
We really to go after those knives and cutting instruments.

People don't kill people, knives and cutting instruments kill people.
Since the discussion has turned toward 2nd amendment rights (which I support), I'll add my 2 cents. Rather than a background check, an IQ test may be a more appropriate screening tool to weed out those that should not be in possession of firearms or ammunition. Maybe the potential purchaser could provide a writing sample which indicates the ability to effectively communicate?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 AM

17,169 posts, read 20,721,326 times
I found it interesting that crime goes up every election year and then goes down each year after that president is in office. The latest election, 2008, violent crime almost doubled on the first year of office. It has come down slightly since then.

Also this paper mentioned that in Violent crime, approx 40% of real stats are listed. Only about 60-70% of the police departments reported their stats. This being a STATE affair, you'd think some thumb screws could be used to get those deleguent districts to turn in their required paperwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana