Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times

Advertisements

Have you considered North Idaho? Sandpoint on Lake Pend Oreille comes closest to N. Lake Tahoe, hands down. 10-15 acre properties are available, wooded, some even with views. The only issue would be easy access to major medical facilities, for which you'd have to travel to Coeur d'Alene (1 hour) or Spokane (90 min.) But Sandpoint has a good little regional hospital. CdA itself is another possibility, on Lake CdA. The mountains are not as tall, but it is still beautiful.

OK, the area has CA transplants, but like somebody mentioned in another thread, there are two kinds: those who have left CA for the sake of their sanity, and just want to blend in in a better place without wanting to change it (ike us ), and the obnoxious ones, the McMansion building locust. North Idaho has more of the first than the second kind, and they don't stand out.

Just an idea if what you want is lakes, mountains and acreage and you're willing to look beyond Montana (and MT is within easy reach for weekend getaways).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 09:23 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Have you considered North Idaho? Sandpoint on Lake Pend Oreille comes closest to N. Lake Tahoe, hands down. 10-15 acre properties are available, wooded, some even with views. The only issue would be easy access to major medical facilities, for which you'd have to travel to Coeur d'Alene (1 hour) or Spokane (90 min.) But Sandpoint has a good little regional hospital. CdA itself is another possibility, on Lake CdA. The mountains are not as tall, but it is still beautiful.

OK, the area has CA transplants, but like somebody mentioned in another thread, there are two kinds: those who have left CA for the sake of their sanity, and just want to blend in in a better place without wanting to change it (ike us ), and the obnoxious ones, the McMansion building locust. North Idaho has more of the first than the second kind, and they don't stand out.

Just an idea if what you want is lakes, mountains and acreage and you're willing to look beyond Montana (and MT is within easy reach for weekend getaways).
You must have land for sale there. You have pushed Sand Point on many threads in the MONTANTA forum. They are asking about Montana. If they want to know about Idaho, they'll post there.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM

22 posts, read 43,537 times
Hi mttech1270...thank you for the feedback and input on Missoula and Billings. The hospitals you mentioned, are they in Missoula or Billings? That sucks about the break ins. Not the crimes of the century thankfully, but inconvenient nuisances just the same. You bring up a good point however, crime stats. I never really gave it much thought as it's Montana, but crime knows no boundaries. It brings up another important point for me as well, CCW. It doesn't exist in CA. Well, they officially have it on the books, but they only issue them to law enforcement. My father is a retired police officer in OH, so I have been around guns my entire life. I am a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment, am proficient with firearms, own several, practice regularly at the range and try to educate as much as possible. My personal beliefs on the matter simply don't gel with the standard thinking about it in CA.
Hi Clark Forest - Thanks for the suggestion about NID. I have seen yours and others post on the ID forum several times. In the interest of fair and equitable dialogue, I will put my original post up there as well for the same type of feedback so as not to take up the MT forum with ID talk. NID is definitely on our short list.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:56 AM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You must have land for sale there. You have pushed Sand Point on many threads in the MONTANTA forum. They are asking about Montana. If they want to know about Idaho, they'll post there.
Sorry, EH. Just trying to be helpful. I'll shut up about Sandpoint from now on. Incidentally, I also steer people toward Montana from the Idaho forum if I think it is in their best interest...

Old 04-23-2012, 03:54 PM

21 posts, read 35,703 times
Hi Matt! First off I am so sorry to hear about the kidney disease. I will say a prayer for you. I am a native Californian and I understand your feeling about getting out of CA. I want out of here myself. It is really not the California I grew up in. In fact all these people moving to MT from CA are probably not even native Californian but originally from Ohio or somewhere else like you. I understand how the Montanans feel about everyone moving into their state because that is what happened to us and now California has been ruined.

MT is definitely not for everyone. My family (from CA) have lived in the Kalispell area for 5 years now love it so I have a home in both places and visit Montana quite often in all seasons. I love it there and hope to retire there someday. I also know people that are from CA that live in MT that hate it now and want to move back. I love MT for the very reasons they hate it. It just shows that there are different strokes for different folks and for some people the grass is always greener. Sorry for the clichés. Like others have said, I do encourage you to spend some time there before moving.

I can only speak on the Kalispell area. I think it is like the Tahoe area but not as much sun. My grandparents and parents have received very good health care and have had good experiences at the Kalispell Medical Center. Kalispell area has so much to offer but in my opinion has gotten too crowded. Summer is amazing! My favorite time is the winter but the past winter was really mild so I didn’t like it so much. Food is okay. There are some good restaurants but you get tired of the same ones. I love to cook so it is fine for us. The thing that surprised me the most is that things are almost as expensive there as they are in CA. As far as pretentious people? I live in OC which is the kingdom of pretentious people so when I go to Kalispell it is a very refreshing change for me. God bless!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:46 PM

Hi RadBrad....thanks for the condolences and well wishes and for the inside scoop on Kalispell. We looked at that area as a potential, but it appears that the population has increased quite a bit in the last several years and it looks as though the land prices have followed. I visited that area and Whitefish in January a few years back and I loved it. It very much reminded me of the Tahoe area, but with less sun.
I can certainly empathize with Montanans feeling the way they do about CA people coming in. I lived in North GA for a few years and we dealt with the same thing with people from the Northeast coming down and moving in. They brought their NE attitudes, lousy driving habits and fast paced live with them and it upset a lot of people. I am a firm believer of a "When In Rome" attitude when you move someplace. I have lived in the Midwest, Texas, Boston, Atlanta, LA and Tahoe and they are all different. Sometimes you gotta go along to get along and there is nothing wrong with that. It's usually the easiest way to assimilate into a new environment. I've learned a lot with this attitude and it has served me well. After all, why move someplace different and not adapt to your new surroundings? Stay where you are if you don't want to do that. That's kinda the point I think. Thanks again for the info. Does anyone have any inside scoop on the Helena area?

Old 04-24-2012, 04:56 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Eureka or Thompson Falls for climate. Livelihood might be tricky.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,002,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Eureka or Thompson Falls for climate. Livelihood might be tricky.
Yes, that's an understatement.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 PM

173 posts, read 380,634 times
Elk hunter is a forum bully IMO ...... I actually liked the n Idaho suggestion in relation to Tahoe...... Who gives a crap whether it's in ID or MT. What's the difference? Someome drew a line on a map.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:26 AM

Well, in Elk Hunters defense, I think he was trying to ensure that the discussion stays on topic and doesn't wander too far from my original post about ares of MT that are like Tahoe. Like a good moderator should I suppose. I have some great dialogue going with some helpful folks on the Idaho forum like I have with the MT folks on this forum, so it's all good. Lincoln and Sanders county definitely looks like beautiful country as well. The two concerns I would have about those areas would be medical and employment opportunities. They do look beautiful however.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana