Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:46 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,362 times

Advertisements

Any of you folks from Montana have a list of the top 10 places to see in your state? Recently I've become obsesses with traveling to this part of the country. What's the best your state has to offer? What should this urban East coaster see out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 06:14 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,075 times
Not a Montana resident, but have visited the great state of Montana numerous times over the years and enjoyed its spectacular views and vistas and done some fishing in many of its blue-ribbon trout streams. One thing that I would humbly suggest for those visiting the state is to see and experience a trip over the "BearTooth All-American Road". You won't forget it !

Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM

155 posts, read 714,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Not a Montana resident, but have visited the great state of Montana numerous times over the years and enjoyed its spectacular views and vistas and done some fishing in many of its blue-ribbon trout streams. One thing that I would humbly suggest for those visiting the state is to see and experience a trip over the "BearTooth All-American Road". You won't forget it !

For a good days trip.....I suggest staying in Cody Wyoming going to the night rodeo if you'd like, then getting up in the morning traveling up Sunlight Basin Road (Just N of Cody) then going up to Cooke City, eat lunch and come down Beartooth Highway hit Red Lodge for dinner. You could stay in Red Lodge or you could be back to Billings or Laurel that night. Somewhere in there you need to hit Yellowstone Park.

I would plan for a few of days but worth the drive......

Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,523,752 times
Montana is just too big to box up into ten must sees. Order a free tourist pack from the Montana travel office. It will include a great state highway map. Look for scenic byways and drive them.

In Montana the journey is just as wonderful as the destination. Roll down your windows and breathe in the fresh air. Pack a lunch cooler and make frequent stops.

To experience Montana's true glory you need take a chill pill..slow down and enjoy. It is not a place where you want to see this and then hurry off to go see the next thing on your list. It is a place to meander. Get off the interstate and re-charge your soul.

Our city friends never stop talking about the magnificence of the huge stars at night. Everywhere you look you will see natural beauty. The mountains rising at St Ignatius should make you catch your breath. Take your time and savor the wonders. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post

Old 05-14-2012, 08:21 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,115 times
historyfan wrote an excellent reply to your question.

Here is a link to the Montana state tourism site.
Official State of Montana Vacation, Recreation, Accommodations and Travel Information Website

Don't miss Glacier National Park.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
Here's a place I have not seen, but it's always number 1 on the hit parade.

Glacier Park

Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 AM

954 posts, read 1,549,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post

Don't miss Glacier National Park.
How could I have forgotten "Going To The Sun Road" when I mentioned the Beartooth Pass, which is of course in Glacier. 2 of the greatest drives/roads
on this continent, nothing less than that.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:12 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
Remember Montana is the size of the whole North Eastern U.S. and not a state you can see the 10 best places in week or two, physically impossible. Also what one person sees as the must see place would have little interest to many people. There are just too many great places to see in the state, depending on your interests. And the different things that may interest you, may involve a thousand miles or even much more of driving to find them.

Tell us what your interests are, and then someone can help you find them.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,038,378 times
I think the op is looking for several things to see and it is difficult to name "the best 10". So, folks, how about you name your favorites?

For somebody that has never been to Montana it is even more difficult to figure out what they want to see. They may think they want to see this and that, not knowing that something else was available. If they had, they would have named that as an interest too. So just name the ones you like, the op can pick through them.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:26 PM

629 posts, read 1,720,470 times
As mentioned, it's impossible to narrow down a top ten, but I'll throw one experience out there that I think is tough to beat.

-Bicycling up and back down Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park BEFORE they open the road to vehicles. This is usually just a few weeks in late May and early June during the time when they're still plowing the upper regions of the road. As soon as it's open the road becomes a steady stream of vehicles and motorcycles, really detracting from the beauty around it, but for those few weeks it's a cyclist's dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana