U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 07:11 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,764,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Thanks for the reply and that sounds good. Not in immediate market but I might keep half an eye open here to see if / when you might have pups available.
Our female whelped last night. I haven't disturbed her a lot since it's her first litter, but looks like at least 5 pups, and as many as 7.

All fat, lively and healthy

Wife and I are very happy since first litters are kind of touchy when you don't know for certain how easy the female will birth the pups, how she'll care for them, how she'll react to people touching them, how healthy the pups will be, etc. etc. etc.

This little female seems to be a natural born mother. The pups came easily, she is really mothering them well, has plenty of milk, and is very comfortable with us looking at the pups.
I'll look after work to see what we've gotten for the sexes, but first appearances, it looks like they are all sables with black points. The mother is a mostly black tri-color, the father is a sable, (the classic Lassie coloration).
Beautiful little pups.

Long night since she started having them at about 9:30, I was up until way after midnight.

This dog wrangling reminds me a lot of working cattle. The weather turns bad, they have their young, and it has to be at night, but at least the dog was in a warm place instead of a drafty cattle shed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 07:53 AM

23,274 posts, read 28,076,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Our female whelped last night. I haven't disturbed her a lot since it's her first litter, but looks like at least 5 pups, and as many as 7.

Wife and I are very happy since first litters are kind of touchy when you don't know for certain how easy the female will birth the pups, how she'll care for them, how she'll react to people touching them, how healthy the pups will be, etc. etc. etc.

This little female seems to be a natural born mother. The pups came easily, she is really mothering them well, has plenty of milk, and is very comfortable with us looking at the pups.
I'll look after work to see what we've gotten for the sexes, but first appearances, it looks like they are all sables with black points. The mother is a mostly black tri-color, the father is a sable, (the classic Lassie coloration).
Beautiful little pups.

Long night since she started having them at about 9:30, I was up until way after midnight.

This dog wrangling reminds me a lot of working cattle. The weather turns bad, they have their young, and it has to be at night, but at least the dog was in a warm place instead of a drafty cattle shed
This post is seriously deficient without pictures!

We'll be waiting!

Old 10-05-2016, 09:50 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,570,254 times
Quote:
The best moms practically give tours. It's typically the crappy moms (excessive worriers) that don't want anyone near their pups.

Quote:
I used to keep track, and discovered that 75% of pups are born between midnight and 6am.

Then again, I had one female who would halt the process at about 11pm, sleep all night, then pick up in the morning with no difficulty. She did this every time. Any other female, I'da been thinkin' about a C-section.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This post is seriously deficient without pictures!

We'll be waiting!
So I've heard from the women at work.

I was busy with them until after 1:00 AM, and had to come to work at 6:00, so I never even thought about it.
I will see if I can get some pictures after work today.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:53 AM

23,274 posts, read 28,076,984 times
Quote:
So I've heard from the women at work.

I was busy with them until after 1:00 AM, and had to come to work at 6:00, so I never even thought about it.
I will see if I can get some pictures after work today.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
The best moms practically give tours. It's typically the crappy moms (excessive worriers) that don't want anyone near their pups.

I used to keep track, and discovered that 75% of pups are born between midnight and 6am.

Then again, I had one female who would halt the process at about 11pm, sleep all night, then pick up in the morning with no difficulty. She did this every time. Any other female, I'da been thinkin' about a C-section.
This one is going to be a great mother. She handled everything perfectly, never offered to snap at us, not even a growl, but she did watch me pretty close and keep her nose on my hand when I helped a pup who was going the wrong way back to the dinner table

For a young dog, and her first litter, and a registered dog, I just wanted to exercise a little caution. Now that I see how she handled it, I am very happy with her and don't have any worries about her.

My cattle since I switched over to Scottish Highlanders haven't needed any help, and they can be pretty testy with protecting the newborns. I've raised Flemish Giant rabbits for years, and while they aren't as bad as some breeds about killing the kits if disturbed, you still need to be careful.

I like taking things slow and letting the animal do what nature tells it to unless there's an issue where I have to get involved. I still monitor closely though.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:15 PM

49 posts, read 30,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Pannish Dogs are also known as Spanish Water Dogs, and are an old breed. Some pictures.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pann...HQqjAJsQsAQIMQ
When I googled Pannish dogs I too got hits for Spanish dogs etc..

I do not believe your link is a Pannish dog but google auto correcting and thinking you misspelled. Jmo

Old 10-05-2016, 02:16 PM

49 posts, read 30,696 times
Quote:
Thank you, and I guess I'll find out

From speaking to other breeders, they are pretty easy, but individual dogs may vary.
We were lucky enough to get 2 females from the same litter. My parent's have the other one, so if this goes well, we have a good base stock. I have found another breeder in Michigan that has dogs from a different bloodline than either of ours, so I am really hoping that with the cooperation of the other breeders and diligent effort, we can if not bring back the breed, at least keep them going.
Beautiful dog.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:03 PM

61 posts, read 46,276 times
Agree with Rez. Best Mom's invite you in to stay awhile. After coming from an incredibly difficult/fragile breed I open all sacs and tie all cords. My mom's are used to having me up in their business, and welcome the help when they're tired. Make sure your Mama is getting enough calcium.

We have a girl due in a week or 10 days. I'm trying to sleep now ...but this mud is creating more work.

Congrats again and we are expecting pictures.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:23 PM

5,792 posts, read 9,256,148 times
Quote:

Beautiful little pups.

I'm so excited for you! This is the best thread anywhere on C-D right now! Can't wait for the pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana