Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:21 PM

113 posts, read 311,226 times

Advertisements

Planning a summer trip to Montana in a few weeks (late June/early July). Been out West a number of times but never to Montana. Very much looking forward to it.

The plan was to fly into Billings, spend a few days there, and then drive to Yellowstone/Grand Teton for a few days, spending nights in West Yellowstone, Jackson and Cody. Then I was planning to head back up to Bozeman for a night and spend single nights in Helena and Great Falls before heading up to Glacier for a few days. Then the plan was to loop around and down to Missoula for a night and then head back to Billings.

Have some things planned out and already marked up maps of Billings/Bozeman/Butte/Helena/Great Falls/Missoula with locations of attractions/restaurants.

Does this sound a bit too ambitious? Are there any must-see attractions or interesting side trips/scenic byways worth taking?

I guess with all this driving, what I was most concerned about was how safe the two lane roads were. Is there a problem with people passing on 2 lane roads, causing accidents? Also are there many speed traps out there? Is it easy to get a ticket?

Also, I'm assuming the weather should be fine, but should there be any expectations of any snow?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 02:11 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Welcome to the Gates of the Mountains

I recommend doing this boat tour in Helena. It is really interesting.

Two lane roads are safe, I let others pass me. Speed traps? Yep. Slow down in towns.
Bring some warm clothes, you never know about Montana, especially in Yellowstone, and Glacier. It can snow in July. At least a pair of jeans, sweatshirt, and jacket.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,439 times
I think your travel plan sounds great, but I recommend that you not spend several days in Billings. Head to Yellowstone right away, as there is far more to see and experience at the other places on your journey than what you would see in Billings.
When in Butte, take the historic adventure tour.
Old Butte Historical Adventures

Between Bozeman and Helena, go to dinner and/or stay at the Sacajawea Hotel in Three Forks.
Home - Sacajawea Hotel - Three Forks, Montana

At the turn off from the interstate to the two lane road that goes to Helena, stop at Wheat Montana for a sandwich with bread from the wheat grown there.

It gets cold at night. I agree that you need layers to dress for weather changes.

Have fun!

Old 06-09-2012, 11:11 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
I like the fact that you have left your travel open ended with lots of "We might want to check this out" wiggle room.

My ex was one of these people that would plan a 30 day vacation and want to book all the rooms in advance. The trouble with that is, you keep a schedule like you would at work. If you want to spend an extra day here or there, you can't because you've already booked rooms and events.

I agree with Happiness Is, unless you are seeking employment or investigating property, there is no reason to spend that much time in Billings. Billings is a nice town but really doesn't have that much to offer, as far as touristy stuff.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I like to plan ahead, reserving hotel rooms in advance. I guess you have to for Glacier/Yellowstone areas but I could have easily found a room in Bozeman/Helena/Missoula/Great Falls if I wanted to spend an extra day somewhere. I only reserved rooms after I read some travel books and looked at some maps. I figured about a day or so sounds good for Bozeman/Helena/Butte/Great Falls/Missoula and 2-3 days for Yellowstone and Glacier.

Looking forward to exploring downtowns-Bozeman/Helena/Missoula and the historical stuff in Great Falls looks interesting also.

Glad gas prices are dropping. In Atlanta, where I'm coming from, it's about $3.50 and dropping. Hope it's lower out there.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:42 PM

hmmm..... Great Falls isn't really as interesting a destination compared to everything
else on your list to see. Unless you are a fanatic about Charles Russell art, there isn't
a lot to see there. (I was born in Great Falls, and I'm being frank about it).

Hope that helps.

h.i.
Bozeman

Old 06-09-2012, 02:48 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
I think your travel plan sounds great, but I recommend that you not spend several days in Billings. Head to Yellowstone right away, as there is far more to see and experience at the other places on your journey than what you would see in Billings.
When in Butte, take the historic adventure tour.
Old Butte Historical Adventures

Between Bozeman and Helena, go to dinner and/or stay at the Sacajawea Hotel in Three Forks.
Home - Sacajawea Hotel - Three Forks, Montana

At the turn off from the interstate to the two lane road that goes to Helena, stop at Wheat Montana for a sandwich with bread from the wheat grown there.

It gets cold at night. I agree that you need layers to dress for weather changes.

Have fun!
In Three Forks the Headwaters State Park is a neat little area if you like history. There is some good information about Lewis and Clark and you can say you've seen the source of the Missouri River. Get a sandwich from Wheat Montana as well as some brownies. Those are to die for.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:51 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I agree, Great Falls is not really trip worthy, INMO. I lived there for several years. Helena is worth a quick stop, there is also a fun train that leaves from the capital in Helena that is really cool to do.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:09 PM

I had read good things about the Lewis and Clark center on the Missouri River in Great Falls and it seemed like a scenic city on a river but it sounds like the city and downtown isn't much to get excited about. At most, I'd spend a day/night there as a convenient stopover heading up to Glacier.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 PM

Yes, Great Falls would be a good place to stay over night on your way from Helena to Glacier Park.
Glacier is so scenic and has all the historic lodges to stop and see, I'd spend the time in Glacier
instead of in Great Falls.

DON'T MISS stopping at the Trail of the Cedars Avalanche creek in Glacier to walk up and see the small waterfall and just be in that tall cedar forest. Take the camera on the trail!
Trail of the Cedars- Hike the Trail of the Cedars,Glacier Park MT

h.i.
Bozeman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana