U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:16 PM

8 posts, read 7,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
Plenty of Toyota dealerships in Montana. The state is probably a little more Chevy/Dodge/Ford centric than New Jersey, but not by much. Just about anywhere I go in the country now I see a pretty wide mix of domestics and foreign autos.

Looks like Toyota has a website of their Montana dealers
Official Montana Toyota Dealers and Car Dealerships

I think we all sort of focused on the welding because it's a good solid, stable career that you can do just about anywhere. If you can find some work in parts sales or working with one of those Toyota dealerships that does sound like your best bet to hit the ground running doing some work you have quite a bit of experience with.
Its good to hear that there's a decent variety of cars out there. I was hoping it wasn't going to be all American vehicles only like some parts of PA are here on the east coat. I checked out that link, and it is quite helpful, thank you! I agree that welding is a good stable career and definitely pays more than a dealership parts job would, just as historyfan had said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Welding would provide you with considerably more money than working in any parts dept in Montana. Community colleges in both Montana and Wyoming have programs specifically geared toward training welders for oil, gas, and coal industry.
I agree 100% and I didn't know that there were programs for welding specifically set up for the oil, gas and coal industry. Definitely a good piece of information to know. I'd rather be a welder hands down and feel more comfortable financially than if I was to scrape by with a generic parts salesman salary. It usually isn't much compared to what the service writers and technicians make. Even here in NJ I barely make enough to get by, I think that's mostly cause of the crappy dealership I work for, not necessarily due to where I live. Another reason a change of careers and scenery is a must. But If I haven't yet found a job by the time I'm ready to move, or haven't yet completed welding school, at least I know I have something to fall back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

.....Yes indeed......Bitterroot Motors in Missoula is, (I believe), the largest dealership in Montana for Toyota AND Ford. It is owned by a very fine woman who is the widow of the original owner...............she is an extremely successful business woman.

If you intend applying for employment at her dealership, I would suggest composing a "professional-looking- resume" which includes some references along with the other typical background (work-history & personal) information. I would have it prepared by a "Resume Service".

I might also suggest that you consider utilizing Missoula as "your home-base" when out here on vacation.
This suggestion is based on (my impression of your "significant other"), and what city and surounding area would make the best impression on her.............This is just my opinion based on your best chances of emploment in an area that "Might" be most attractive to her as well.

Good Luck............................
I did check out Bitterroot Motor's website and it looks as if they're both a Ford and Toyota dealer which is awesome. The other interesting thing is that it looks like their currently looking for someone in parts and service, as well as sales. Too bad I'm not quite ready yet to make the move lol Got a few more years before I can start and finish welding school and get my debt in order. I most certainly would provide the most professional resume possible, no matter where I'm applying. Thank you for you're suggestion to make Missoula my home base while on vacation. I must ask though, why would you say Missoula over Bozeman for a good first impression regarding my significant other? Just curious, as I've obviously never been to either city so wouldn't know the differences between one or the other. Other than Bozeman seems to be a little larger and more developed than Missoula, correct me if I'm wrong. Oh and it has some bigger mountains surrounding it Not that Missoula isn't surrounded by mountains either, I just love me some mountains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 06:21 PM

297 posts, read 333,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDreamerNJLeaver View Post
MontanaGyrl - ..... You said you came to MT from the east coast, which state did you come from and how did the move and experience itself go for you? How long ago was it that you moved?
I came from North Carolina, which is both the South and the east coast. The move was no problem because I was young & single and had just finished college. Didn't have any debt (this was back in the day when most students didn't graduate with a mountain of debt) and the cost of living here was low. Now the CoL seems awfully high compared to wages.

Also, when I moved here I had a very open mind -- I wanted to learn how to enjoy Montana, not turn Montana into what I thought it should be. The worst thing a transplant can say IMHO is, "Well, in ________ , we do it THIS way," implying that their way is superior. Sometimes people will move here from NY or California and open a restaurant and are quoted in the paper as saying they want to bring some decent food to the hick Montanans. They go out of business PDQ!

Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 AM

1 posts, read 595 times
Hi all! I'm fairly new to this forum (first post here) was just looking to subscribe and keep up with any updates because like myself, I can see going out to Montana with in 10 years or so. To the O.P.- Best of luck!

Aaron

Old 08-04-2012, 12:21 PM

297 posts, read 333,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTDreamerNJLeaver View Post
Thank you for you're suggestion to make Missoula my home base while on vacation. I must ask though, why would you say Missoula over Bozeman for a good first impression regarding my significant other? Just curious, as I've obviously never been to either city so wouldn't know the differences between one or the other. Other than Bozeman seems to be a little larger and more developed than Missoula, correct me if I'm wrong. Oh and it has some bigger mountains surrounding it Not that Missoula isn't surrounded by mountains either, I just love me some mountains
I think Missoula and Bozeman are very similar in size and development and recreational opportunities. Which town has the better/bigger/prettier mountains is a source of constant debate (part of the UM-Griz/MSU-Bobcat rivalry). Six of one, half a dozen of the other IMHO.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:27 PM

680 posts, read 610,916 times
Someone who loves East coast city life is going to find Denver provincial. My suggestion is to vacation places you are attracted to so she can see how happy you are.
I know transplants that have been content living in Montana as long as they get a trip or two home a year for a city fix. To that end check which Montana airport has best connections to home and settle within 2 hour (125 miles) drive from it.

As an aside to New Jersey dreamer--- if you are not married or have children after 6 years in a relationship what do you have to lose? Get on with your dreams. If you owe your partner money, you can mail it to her from your new locale. If you are not happy with yourself, you can not be very fun company. When you get yourself lined out in life you will be a better partner to her or whomever.
Note---Montana is not a place for whiners! Good luck.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:24 AM

1 posts, read 561 times
Cool MT native who wants to go home...

4th generation Montanan here.

I've been gone since 1991 but have been back to visit a couple of times & still have family there.

I've lived in Great Falls, Billings, Butte, Helena, Boulder, Havre (you can say I'm sorry for Boulder & Havre!) and was born in Bozeman but don't remember it.

For what your looking for I'd say first choice is Helena hands down. Billings would be second. And don't forget Billings is not that far of a drive to the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness & Granite Peak, which at 12,807 feet is the highest point in the state of Montana. Talk about spectacular views and great camping!!

[Mod cut]

It sounds like you have a great attitude for making the transition. I hope it works out for ya!

Last edited by ElkHunter; 08-05-2012 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: New users can not post links

Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone for providing me with lots of great information, suggestions, opinions and reality that will make my move/transition/new life so much easier when the time comes. Honestly can't thank you guys enough. Its become sort of an obsession for me, in my spare time at work I'm checking rental properties/apartments in the Bozeman are and checking job openings on craigslist, hotpads, trulia, etc. I know its at least 2 or 3 years till I can pack the truck up and go but Its good to see whats out there. I'm in the process of finding a reputable Welding school near my current home, which will most likely end up being just inside the PA border, seeing how I can afford the tuition, and also trying to modify my work schedule so I can make it to night classes. So the process begins. I have lots of hard work, planning, debt consolidation, (more) financial aid for schooling (ugh) and sacrifices ahead of me. I just can't wait till I can actually say, I'm heading West to Montana and not coming back! I'll keep everyone posted as to my progress and of course if I have any other questions I'll know where to go

Old 08-07-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Someone who loves East coast city life is going to find Denver provincial. My suggestion is to vacation places you are attracted to so she can see how happy you are.
I know transplants that have been content living in Montana as long as they get a trip or two home a year for a city fix. To that end check which Montana airport has best connections to home and settle within 2 hour (125 miles) drive from it.

As an aside to New Jersey dreamer--- if you are not married or have children after 6 years in a relationship what do you have to lose? Get on with your dreams. If you owe your partner money, you can mail it to her from your new locale. If you are not happy with yourself, you can not be very fun company. When you get yourself lined out in life you will be a better partner to her or whomever.
Note---Montana is not a place for whiners! Good luck.
Thank you historyfan, truly honest and helpful information as well as sheer truth about my current situation with my significant other. Really means a lot and definitely made a lot of sense to me Rest assured I won't be needed to come back for "city fix" once or twice a year to cope. Anymore, if I get anywhere near NYC or Philly I absolutely cringe and start getting anxiety and immediately wish I was back in the hills and farmland I'm used to here at home. No whiners here, atleast not me, my GF definitely. I don't even like Wine, i'm more of a beer and scotch kinda guy. I really don't have anything to lose, which is a good thing. I'm just not trying to leave everything behind without knowing 100% that I'll be financially stable enough and not bring a whole bunch of lingering debt with me to Montana. So rather then rush into the move, I'm taking my time, getting all my ducks in a row and planning and preparing myself and my finances as best I can. Honestly the big turning point, for me anyway, will be when I get the chance to Vacation out there. Which will hopefully be if not spring/summer 2013 it'll certainly be 2014. The sooner the better really. I think whats I SEE Montana in person, it'll be all the more amazing and beautiful than it has been in my dreams and pictures/video's I've seen online.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM

680 posts, read 610,916 times
Evidently I was not too harsh. Life lived with a bunch of regrets is considered rather pathetic in our house. This reminds me of something. We have a dear friend who came out to Montana from Minnesota as soon as she was 18. She said she could breath for the first time in her life when she hit the Montana state line. That was about 15 years ago and she still feels the same. You'll know when you get here if you feel that way too. Remember this state is vast. There are many many truly great spots in most every county.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Evidently I was not too harsh. Life lived with a bunch of regrets is considered rather pathetic in our house. This reminds me of something. We have a dear friend who came out to Montana from Minnesota as soon as she was 18. She said she could breath for the first time in her life when she hit the Montana state line. That was about 15 years ago and she still feels the same. You'll know when you get here if you feel that way too. Remember this state is vast. There are many many truly great spots in most every county.
I didn't find anything you said to be too harsh or harsh at all, was it meant to be? I would have to agree that life with a bunch of regrets is pathetic. I've had a few already I'm not proud of and I certainly don't want anymore, hence the plan to move to MT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana