Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times

Advertisements

Curious, are there any lakes accessible by car in Montana that are only for NON-motorized watercraft? It seems like every lake has speedboats on them.

I'm on a road trip though Montana and I'm blown away by the beauty of it's lakes. Especially all the lakes along highway 83. I have stopped at a ton of lakes throughout western Montana. I wish Montana would have set aside maybe just a few of those lakes as wild and not allowed people to build on the shores. And also ban motor boats on just a few of them, so people can have at least a few lakes to enjoy in solitude in canoes or kayaks without speedboats buzzing by.

In general I am blown away by the beauty of Montana. It has a magic about it. I can see how many have been cast under it's spell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:29 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,001,439 times
You'll have to drive out of the way up into the Bridger mountains, but check out Fairy Lake by Bozeman.

Here is a description.
Montana National Forest Camping: Fairy Lake Campground - AllTrips

Here is a photo.
Fairy Lake | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 AM

Thanks happiness is. I was only over in Western MT during my trip. I'll have to check that lake out if I get over to Bozeman.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:04 AM

629 posts, read 1,720,638 times
Bowman Lake in Glacier Nat'l Park is limited to boats under 10 hp.
Bowman Lake (Montana) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kintla Lake also in Glacier does not allow motorized boats.
Kintla Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both are large beautiful lakes surrounded by mountains (and no homes of course) but the downside is it's a fairly long, bumpy drive to get up there. Between the two I'd choose Kintla. Both have campgrounds situated at the outlet of the lakes with beautiful views so you could spend a few days there camping, boating and just enjoying the peace and quiet.

Two Medicine Lake in Glacier is also a decent sized lake limited to under 10 hp but I've never seen any boats there except for the park tour boat and a few of the small row-boat type boats with small motors that the park service concessionaire offers as rentals.
Two Medicine Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-25-2012, 04:16 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL2MT View Post
Bowman Lake in Glacier Nat'l Park is limited to boats under 10 hp.
Bowman Lake (Montana) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kintla Lake also in Glacier does not allow motorized boats.
Kintla Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both are large beautiful lakes surrounded by mountains (and no homes of course) but the downside is it's a fairly long, bumpy drive to get up there. Between the two I'd choose Kintla. Both have campgrounds situated at the outlet of the lakes with beautiful views so you could spend a few days there camping, boating and just enjoying the peace and quiet.

Two Medicine Lake in Glacier is also a decent sized lake limited to under 10 hp but I've never seen any boats there except for the park tour boat and a few of the small row-boat type boats with small motors that the park service concessionaire offers as rentals.
Two Medicine Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The lakes in Glacier have my vote- they are awesome! I plan to take the kayak up there and paddle around this summer..

Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 AM

Thanks FL2MT...great suggestions. I have seen Kintla on the map and daydreamed about that one. The car accessible lakes I hit on my road trip were Tally Lake, Whitefish Lake, Flathead, Swan, Holland, Lindbergh, Rainy, Alva, Inez, Placid, Salmon. All had motorboats, I think Tally may have been the only one without houses around it. I think it's great the larger ones allow motorboats of course, it would just be nice if a few smaller ones (not so far off the beaten track like Kintla) didn't.

There are lots of lakes not accessible by car that look really nice, but look tough to get a canoe or kayack up to them.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:30 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
My family and I did a 10 mile hike at Park lake today, just outside of Clancy near Helena. It's a small lake, but it looks pretty peaceful and a great little place to kayak and drop a line in.

Nice hiking too- a little hot today, but a fair amount in the shade made it worthwhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana