Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Missoula, or Bozeman?
Rural Areas Near Missoula 3 25.00%
Rural Areas Near Bozeman 1 8.33%
Other Rural Areas 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:57 PM

7 posts, read 18,731 times

Advertisements

Alright, thanks, here are the answers:

1: Because we want to get away from Oregon, we have been having some problems here, and have been planning to move to another state for a long time. We where originally going to move near the border where we could visit family in Mexico frequently, and we then chose Central Texas, but the weather discouraged us from moving there (or any place near the border) Montana seemed like a great state to move to and start a ranch. We needed to get away from Oregon. We want to move away from it all, and we've always wanted to live on a ranch aswell, away from big cities.

2: Yes, we are aware of the climate difference and costliness. But Nubians are a hardy breed.

3: Yes, we know many people with farms here, but as I said earlier, we want to move to another state. I am part of an online Goat Ranching community and some people are from Montana and they say they have no trouble selling there goats, but I believe it might be better here in Oregon.

4: No, it is not important to move to Montana, we just want to find a state where we can have a ranch, not as a living, but a side-business. We just need to find a good state, other than Oregon, where we can make this happen.

Last edited by victor.hernandez; 08-11-2012 at 08:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 11:00 AM

297 posts, read 791,564 times
Respectfully, I think you need to do a LOT of research on farming/ranching in general and how much land you need for what kinds of animals (and how many) before you even think about moving. Also research the market for what you want to do as far as selling goats -- for pets, for milk, for show?? I don't think selling goats is viable in this economy. Just MHO as a non-rancher, though.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:24 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,467,253 times
Rural farmstead land prices are significantly cheaper in Washington, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Texas, New Mexico, and Nevada than in most anywhere in Montana. Cheaper land in Montana is in remote areas without employers. You may want to consider the Yakima, Washington area.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:48 PM

7,971 posts, read 10,539,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Cheaper land in Montana is in remote areas without employers.
This is the absolute truth - I checked and searched into every area of the state while I lived out there. Missoula, Bozeman, and Helena properties (where the jobs are on the Western side) are extremely expensive.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,886,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor.hernandez View Post
You might want to check to see if that place is still standing. Here's a video shot just over a month ago, just outside of Ashland on the way to Broadus.
2012 Ashland, MT Amish Fire Evacuation - YouTube

Major shopping and medical would be Broadus or Billings.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:27 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,677,003 times
Reading the answers to your questions, it is apparent you really just want to leave Oregon. But what you want, Montana is one of the most expensive places to do it. The jobs are in the 3 cities mentioned on the Western side of the State, Billings, and in the oil fields where there is no way you can do what you want. As another poster said, you would be better served looking at other states where it is much more practical and affordable to get started. Montana has turned into large operations (farms and ranches) and so many towns are resort type towns attracting a lot of money people that have driven the price of property out of site for your use, and it has restrictions on it that would prevent your goat farm.

Quote:
We where originally going to move near the border where we could visit family in Mexico frequently, and we then chose Central Texas, but the weather discouraged us from moving there (or any place near the border) Montana seemed like a great state to move to and start a ranch.
I hate to bring it up as it may sound race prejudice but I am not as I was raised in California and in business there for many years, and have had many friends throughout my life are Hispanic including business partners. But I want to let you know what you would be getting into. From your name and your family is in Mexico, you may feel some prejudice here especially in the farming area. Only 1.3% of the people have Mexican ancestry, and most of those in the state, work on the farms and ranches. We have a problem in this area as it is right on the Interstate, and there is some drug cartel problems in Montana, which also is something people look at, and you have children it appears. I have been told by several Hispanic people leaving the state, was they were leaving as every one seemed to think they were farm field hands, and not looking to make friends with them as field hands leave after the harvest, or they looked at them like they were Mexican Cartel members. The drug people, have made all Hispanic people looked at as if they were part of the problem here. These people were all in good jobs, but their families did not feel comfortable, so they transferred out of state. I am not telling you this to be prejudice, but to state facts as others have told me to be their problems. I think you want facts to help make a decision, and this is a problem you and your family may encounter.

I hope this helps.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:44 PM

7 posts, read 18,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Reading the answers to your questions, it is apparent you really just want to leave Oregon. But what you want, Montana is one of the most expensive places to do it. The jobs are in the 3 cities mentioned on the Western side of the State, Billings, and in the oil fields where there is no way you can do what you want. As another poster said, you would be better served looking at other states where it is much more practical and affordable to get started. Montana has turned into large operations (farms and ranches) and so many towns are resort type towns attracting a lot of money people that have driven the price of property out of site for your use, and it has restrictions on it that would prevent your goat farm.

I hate to bring it up as it may sound race prejudice but I am not as I was raised in California and in business there for many years, and have had many friends throughout my life are Hispanic including business partners. But I want to let you know what you would be getting into. From your name and your family is in Mexico, you may feel some prejudice here especially in the farming area. Only 1.3% of the people have Mexican ancestry, and most of those in the state, work on the farms and ranches. We have a problem in this area as it is right on the Interstate, and there is some drug cartel problems in Montana, which also is something people look at, and you have children it appears. I have been told by several Hispanic people leaving the state, was they were leaving as every one seemed to think they were farm field hands, and not looking to make friends with them as field hands leave after the harvest, or they looked at them like they were Mexican Cartel members. The drug people, have made all Hispanic people looked at as if they were part of the problem here. These people were all in good jobs, but their families did not feel comfortable, so they transferred out of state. I am not telling you this to be prejudice, but to state facts as others have told me to be their problems. I think you want facts to help make a decision, and this is a problem you and your family may encounter.

I hope this helps.
So I shouldn't move to any part of rural Montana because people will judge me because of my race? That's horrible. I don't want my family and I to live in an area with that kind of feel against us. I was hoping Missoula, or Western Montana to be a great place for us. How about the Coeur d'Alene area in Idaho? Or any part in Northern Idaho with any jobs to make a living?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,886,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor.hernandez View Post
So I shouldn't move to any part of rural Montana because people will judge me because of my race? That's horrible. I don't want my family and I to live in an area with that kind of feel against us. I was hoping Missoula, or Western Montana to be a great place for us. How about the Coeur d'Alene area in Idaho? Or any part in Northern Idaho with any jobs to make a living?
I don't think it's a case of everyone will judge, but there are always a few.

One of the things you might do when looking for land is to contact the County Extension Office where ever you are thinking about. Ask them about grazing conditions. You pointed out that property around Ashland and that's what made me think of this. Where I come from, you can raise a cow/calf pair on 6 acres (Eastern South Dakota). Where I live now, it takes over 40 acres to raise a cow/calf pair. Most of that land around Ashland is about 25+ acres per cow/calf pair. There is some land around there that is down in the river area and it will support a cow/calf pair on 10 acres.

The local County Extension would have that information. I don't know how much goats eat, I've only owned one and it run with our cattle on 640 acres, hahaha, so it was kind of hard to keep track. My daughter and her husband have 3 horses on 38 acres in Sheridan Wyoming. They have to buy and feed, all year. There is even a creek running through the place. They can miss a few days here and there during the summer, but pretty much have to feed every day.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:54 PM

Elk hunter,
That house is still standing but all ponderosa trees right up to it are burned down. The firefighters were right in middle of nasty spot to keep that house from going up. I think they may have back burned around it. It is right on a county road which had much to do with it being saved.

Future goat farmer- That house might not have any living ponderosa trees left in its viewshed. It sit behind a little hill and has no view out across on all that didn't burn. They wanted it like they were tucked in forest and it has no bottom ground with any hardwood trees.
Perhaps it is cheaper now.
I know the history of that house. If you become serious about buying it I will explain more. It was built on the cheap. And owners (an MD) seem to have run short and sold out. In process it was surveyed off from the original couple of sections (1280 acres). At that size it could have been goat ranch with livestock guard dogs to protect goats from lions and coyote..that and a lot of woven wire fencing to keep goats in. I think with the few acres left with the house now it is too small and is nothing more than big yard. I can look at the listing, it might be enough. I know it needs an additional well to be very functional. The one it has barely supplies house and has not enough left over to keep much lawn green.
Only problem with this location is where to find employment. The local sawmill closed 10 years ago. It is very good ranch country. The overall area is very picturesque but that house is on the North drier side of Highway 212 and forest there was hit hard by fire this year.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:16 PM

The listing has 29 acres. You could raise your goats there with fencing. The high price of steel has made cost of fencing high. If you could find jobs it would work great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana