Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,495 times

Advertisements

I have been teaching in a 1-room school here in Montana for two years. I love the state and my students are the best in my entire career. I have over 26 years teaching experience and a Masters degree in Reading. But I am making a salary of $19,500. Needless to say, I am looking for another job, preferably in the western part of the state where pay is better. I have had to work an outside job at a convenience store just to pay for medical expenses (no health insurance), oil changes for my truck, and vet visits. It is a real shame that teachers are not paid what we are worth. Yes, teachers are in high demand in Montana, and you can see why. However, the people are great, the scenery is gorgeous, and you couldn't wish for nicer students. But if you interview for a job, check on the wages first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 08:09 PM

75 posts, read 381,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlewy View Post
I have been teaching in a 1-room school here in Montana for two years. I love the state and my students are the best in my entire career. I have over 26 years teaching experience and a Masters degree in Reading. But I am making a salary of $19,500. Needless to say, I am looking for another job, preferably in the western part of the state where pay is better. I have had to work an outside job at a convenience store just to pay for medical expenses (no health insurance), oil changes for my truck, and vet visits. It is a real shame that teachers are not paid what we are worth. Yes, teachers are in high demand in Montana, and you can see why. However, the people are great, the scenery is gorgeous, and you couldn't wish for nicer students. But if you interview for a job, check on the wages first.
In other threads, I have read posts talking about the low pay in Montana. I thought maybe you were exaggerating until I saw this post.

Is this typical pay for teachers in Montana? ($19,500 for a teacher with a master's degree and 26 years of experience?!) Does the state pay all or part of the teachers' salaries? It seems like very low pay for such an experienced, well-qualified and well-educated teacher.

In Texas, state base pay is the least amount a teacher with a set amount of experience can be paid. School districts almost always pay above state base. A beginning teacher with a bachelor's degree and without any teaching experience would make between $27,000 and $28,000 for a ten month contract at the very least. A teacher with 26 years' experience and a master's degree would probably make more than $50,000. I don't think Texas teacher pay is even that great compared to most states; maybe it's actually fantastic!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:47 PM

9 posts, read 30,847 times
Helena teachers start out in the mid-thrities, and they are the highest paid in the state. Missoula has too many teachers (because of the college there) and much lower pay.

Sorry, I don't know much else--I've been out of the field for awhile.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:31 AM

75 posts, read 381,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminMT View Post
Helena teachers start out in the mid-thrities, and they are the highest paid in the state. Missoula has too many teachers (because of the college there) and much lower pay.

Sorry, I don't know much else--I've been out of the field for awhile.
Thanks for the response, PaminMT. Policies differ so much from one state to another; it's interesting to learn about the differences.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
IIRC New Hampshire teachers (at least in backwoods NH) are paid about 50% more than that but the NH cost of living is at least twice that of rural Montana. The entire society underpays teachers and probably always has. I suspect the reason is that grade school teaching has mostly been "woman's work" and considered the second job in the family, so why pay a reasonable wage. I don't personally agree with this cheapness and think we would get better teachers if we paid more. 19K without health insurance is insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana