Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
Back to the subject. The Indian Education requirement bestowed upon Montana schools seems to me to be 50% a racism issue and 50% a request from Montana Native Americans for Indian education to be required. I recall when it first started a statement from a Tribal Leader...something about how Non-Native Americans were ignorant to Native lives and pushed for a required class. Don't remember the whole thing but there's nothing wrong with it. My kids have developed a general interest in past Native American history. Anything to broaden the little minds!
I don't have a problem with the kids being taught about Montana History, including the Indian tribes that live here and their culture. I would like a fact based program that looks at the history, not the modern politics as applied to history approach.

If the material is factual instead of politically biased, it could really benefit them, but past experience with the public schools has not made me confident that real information will be imparted.

When I was a kid, we had some excellent classes on the Indian tribes in the area, and had guest speakers from the tribes come in and speak of the customs and traditions and how they lived, it was really great information I have found usefull all my life.

If they could model a curriculum like that again, I would wholeheartedly support it.

Having seen the way the Helena school district has tried to sneak agenda driven propaganda into the schools in the past couple of years, I don't hold out a lot of hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 01:03 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Could be that MT's gov gets high ratings because so many others are so much worse... like Moonbeam Brown in CA (didn't they learn their lesson with his first round??!) Negative aspects he may have, but compared to what MT could have as a governor... he's bloody wonderful.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I don't have a problem with the kids being taught about Montana History, including the Indian tribes that live here and their culture. I would like a fact based program that looks at the history, not the modern politics as applied to history approach.

If the material is factual instead of politically biased, it could really benefit them, but past experience with the public schools has not made me confident that real information will be imparted.

When I was a kid, we had some excellent classes on the Indian tribes in the area, and had guest speakers from the tribes come in and speak of the customs and traditions and how they lived, it was really great information I have found usefull all my life.

If they could model a curriculum like that again, I would wholeheartedly support it.

Having seen the way the Helena school district has tried to sneak agenda driven propaganda into the schools in the past couple of years, I don't hold out a lot of hope.
This is precisely what bothers me about adding some such "agenda" to school curricula. Will it be factual, or will it be some disgruntled group's propaganda? I think it's great to teach about all the aspects of history (and it's important to know about the small events of history as well as the great ones); it's not so good to whitewash some group's history because now they view themselves as put-upon, which unfortunately is what tends to happen when it's added Because It's The Politically Correct Thing To Do.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:38 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Let's just eat some fry bread, and call it good.

Actually, my kids used to come home, with a great deal of "white guilt" heaped on them, about taking away Indian land, and keeping Africans as slaves...sorry, I did not do it, and neither did my kids. It happened, it was bad, sorry, but move on...kids don't need the guilt trip.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Let's just eat some fry bread, and call it good.
Exactly! Let's share some culture, try each other's favourites, get drunk together, go bowling, uh... like normal people with no chips on our shoulders. Hand me that sizzlin' piece of fry bread.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:13 PM

443 posts, read 806,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
So much for this discussion, we have gone from the ridiculous into the absurd.

Why impeach him? He only has a couple months left in office

I have yet to see him campaign for his replacement, yet he has time to enter agreements with the state employee unions, (which have no validity because only the legislature can approve contracts and won't convene until he is out of office),
He is proposing stuff like in your article, again, worthless because the next governor coming in has no obligation to follow what he says.

Schwitzer has done some good things, like signing the firearms bill where Montanan's could build guns, and as long as they are only sold in the state to state residents, are not subject to federal oversight, and voting to open the Otter Creek coal beds to development, but the guy is a camera hound.

Anything BS does is to benefit BS and only BS.

The most dangerous place to find yourself in Montana isn't between a sow Grizzly and her cubs, it is finding yourself between king brian and a TV camera.

It really doesn't matter what he does for the next few months, he is term limited out and the next governor will take the office and king brian will have to find another job.
So, you figure his replacement is going to be a Democrat? You must not have kids in the public schools, Indian Education For All was signed into law in 1999, Schweitzer can't take credit for proposing it. That was during the Racicot-Martz reign. -Can't agree more about going from the ridiculous to the absurd. http://www.kfbb.com/news/local/Repre...146022275.html "Republican Representative seeks support to impeach Schweitzer"
As for the "Indian education for all" issue, My Dad thinks it means that Schweitzer is going to send all the white kids to government run boarding schools

Last edited by ursa22; 08-24-2012 at 08:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana