U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 12:05 PM

36 posts, read 142,617 times

Advertisements

I have been perusing real estate listings keeping in mind threads I'd read on this forum which described the Idaho Pole Plant, etc. and "cancer clusters" in the Bozeman area. I cannot find that particular post (cancer cluster) or thread. I did read that the Idaho Pole Plant has been "cleaned up". Could someone steer me away from the areas which might have contaminated wells and/or arsenic contamination as well as point me to areas which are considered "safe" in terms of water and air. We are looking into horse property for the near future and are interesting in renting in Bozeman proper until we find the right place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,980,449 times
I do not know about former Idaho pole plant site but any former pole or railroad tie treatment plant will have soil contaminaton.
When purchasing a property have a contingency for a clear Phase I environmental engineering report be condition of closing. The buyer will likely have to pay for that, as well as, home inspection, and title insurance and other precautions. Well tests are part of the environmental phase I. Just hire an experienced real estate attorney to write your buy/sell and you will be protected. If purchasing Ag ground, water rights should be researched, property lines surveyed, and all accesses recorded...all to be as represented as contingencies of sale.

In general most places in Montana have clean air and water.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:21 PM

36 posts, read 142,617 times
Thanks again Historyfan. Your posts are so informative! I've bought and sold real estate for a couple of decades however, had you not written the above I most certainly would have missed a few important points. Very much appreciated. I know montana water rights can be quite a tangled mess on occasion. I do hope you are right about most Montana cities having clean air and water. Montana truly is the last best place.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:12 AM

11,843 posts, read 15,458,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I do not know about former Idaho pole plant site but any former pole or railroad tie treatment plant will have soil contaminaton.
When purchasing a property have a contingency for a clear Phase I environmental engineering report be condition of closing. The buyer will likely have to pay for that, as well as, home inspection, and title insurance and other precautions. Well tests are part of the environmental phase I. Just hire an experienced real estate attorney to write your buy/sell and you will be protected. If purchasing Ag ground, water rights should be researched, property lines surveyed, and all accesses recorded...all to be as represented as contingencies of sale.

In general most places in Montana have clean air and water.
I've heard of Phase 1 reports for commercial property or larger ranches, but a small res/farmette I would doubt a seller would want to fork over $5k+ for a full Phase 1. Those things are spendy..

Old 08-31-2012, 11:01 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,980,449 times
Longing4,
Good luck in your search. Over the years we have learned plenty from time & money short cuts in real estate deals. We have found it always pays to take the time and spend the extra money. When we have not it has ended up costing us plenty.

I mentioned water rights because it is common for people to think because a ditch or stream runs through their newly purchased property that the water is theirs to use. Many times it belongs to someone downstream. If it does an easement to clean/maintain the water flow will exist as part of the water right...meaning a dredger could show up and re-dredge the ditch and or a ditch walker/rider will be up and down it to check waterflows whenever they wish. I know people who have been very disappointed to have miles of willows along an irrigation canal running through their property be removed in perfectly legal ditch maintaining work.

If you are planning to place a conservation easement or at future time planning to sell property that could be eligible for one...a geological report/survey can be done to determine if extractable mineral/oil is on property. If it is, then usually the property can not have one placed on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana