U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 PM

75 posts, read 252,007 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking into a once in a lifetime hunting trip in Montana and in so doing, I have decided...I LOVE MOntana! What an awesome and amazing state. Most of the people we've come into contact with are simply amazing. Kind, sweet, hospitable...truly good people. Ya make me question my "love affair" with Texas and Oklahoma! Y'all are truly good people and I sure wish I knew more of you. God bless you Montana folks, you serve your state proud!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 03:18 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,598,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugratref View Post
My husband is looking into a once in a lifetime hunting trip in Montana and in so doing, I have decided...I LOVE Montana! What an awesome and amazing state. Most of the people we've come into contact with are simply amazing. Kind, sweet, hospitable...truly good people. Ya make me question my "love affair" with Texas and Oklahoma! Y'all are truly good people and I sure wish I knew more of you. God bless you Montana folks, you serve your state proud!
It doesn't need to be a "once in a lifetime hunting trip" If you moved here he could hunt every season. But however it can get very cold. I remember having to walk for groceries in 31 below zero F. I got my rig started but the gear lube was cement in the gear boxes so I walked. It was windy so factoring in wind chill it felt more like 60 below. I was on the "high-line" on the east side of the continental divide then and it isn't all that harsh on the west side of the divide.

Here is a pic we took at the end of July this year in western Montana on an Indian reservation.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
It doesn't need to be a "once in a lifetime hunting trip" If you moved here he could hunt every season. But however it can get very cold. I remember having to walk for groceries in 31 below zero F. I got my rig started but the gear lube was cement in the gear boxes so I walked. It was windy so factoring in wind chill it felt more like 60 below. I was on the "high-line" on the east side of the continental divide then and it isn't all that harsh on the west side of the divide.

Here is a pic we took at the end of July this year in western Montana on an Indian reservation.
Well DontLookPhoto, you're not making a very good argument! LOL! Think the extreme cold may very well be the thing that scares me off! But I gotta say, I am extremely impressed by the good people we've come in contact with. I guess we'd always have the "warmth" of friendship if we lived there, but cold tootsies!
LOVE the photo, thank you for sharing it.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I guess we'd always have the "warmth" of friendship if we lived there, but cold tootsies!
Yes we have made some good friends here in Montana. We were considering moving to Oregon or Washington but it's hard to leave people that you have grown to love and on the west side the winters are not all that bad. Good luck on the hunting trip.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:18 PM

5,798 posts, read 9,312,048 times
Quote:
Well DontLookPhoto, you're not making a very good argument! LOL! Think the extreme cold may very well be the thing that scares me off! But I gotta say, I am extremely impressed by the good people we've come in contact with. I guess we'd always have the "warmth" of friendship if we lived there, but cold tootsies!
Nothing wrong with just visiting!

DontLook, glad it looks like you're staying in MT! Looking forward to more local pics! With fall colors, maybe?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:16 AM

Gonna throw this out there and not say more due to risk of putting tooooo much info out there on the internet...
Circle, MT...you freakin' ROCK! I'm a southerner and I have known of southern hospitality all my life. BUT, you guys...OMG...Y'all invented the word! I stand corrected. There is hospitality BEYOND our southern states. There are TRUE AMERICANS still out there full of love and concern for their fellow man. My sons SUV broke down and a local LOANED them their own truck to use to continue their hunt. WHO DOES THAT? I am in AWE! May God bless you as YOU have blessed. Oh and FYI, a prize Mulley was taken! Trip of a lifetime! God bless you precious Montana folk. I do indeed LOVE you!

Old 10-27-2012, 09:59 PM

Default The cold in Montana

The extreme cold I mentioned is not a regular thing where we live now and the winters in the northwest corner of the state don't really get a lot of the ultra cold air masses that sometimes spill over the divide and cause the temps to go into the negatives. More overcast days and more rain instead of blowing snow like you get on the east side of the state (we do get a little of that and sometimes we get a lot of wet snow).
Very often the storms here don't seem like much and you can still find that southern style hospitality on the west side and not have such a "Long Thermometer".
The sunshine on the east side seems to make up for the wind and cold and if you are are in the right places you can have much warmer days than the west side when the chinooks come blowing, even up on the high-line.
On the west side there is more Forrest land, creeks and rivers seem to be everywhere that provide good fishing and relief from the heat of summer.
along the "front" the air heats up as it compresses blowing down the front and onto the plains in a strip known as "The Old North Trail", a zone of little snow in the rain-shadow of the mountains with spells of warm chinook winds melting off the snow.
We like the west edge of Montana but every part of the state has a distinct microclimate and scenery but generally the folks are very nice throughout Montana for the most part. The no goodniks don't last very long unless they grew up here and it seems that those are a dying breed anymore. Everyone these days seems to have come from somewhere else and not just from California as some folks say.
We love Montana.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:53 PM

Default For you Clark Fork Fantast ~♥~

Here are two pics from our neck of the woods. ~♥~
Moss and mist beats wind and blowing dust any day !
Then there is the deep wet snow we get at times. It's worth it though.

A good place to fish.

A square Woodpecker hole.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:29 AM

5,798 posts, read 9,312,048 times
Default So sweet of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
Here are two pics from our neck of the woods. ~♥~
Moss and mist beats wind and blowing dust any day !
Then there is the deep wet snow we get at times. It's worth it though.

A good place to fish.

A square Woodpecker hole.

Awwww--thanks, DLP! I even think I know which mountain is in the background. So beautiful. Is it any wonder we like NW MT?

Old 10-30-2012, 01:15 AM

Dontlookphoto, I am surely CHARMED by you wonderful Montana folk! My hubs and son have went on and on about the wonderful people there. I am STILL in awe of the kindness and generosity they were shown. It’s ASTOUNDING! I never knew there were STILL people like this in these wonderful United States. What a wonderful, amazing group you are! I will never forget you and often recall you in prayer.
LOVING the photos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana