Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 12:26 PM

75 posts, read 521,644 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I would be interested in your comments on the Rolling Glen Ranch development near Three Forks, Montana.

Personally, I don't think it will ever fly.

Last edited by Montanaman1; 10-08-2007 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 12:30 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Never heard of it, do you have a link?

Old 10-08-2007, 12:57 PM

30 posts, read 123,707 times
I think you mean Three Forks. I just posted to the Three Forks thread with the same questions - would like to know more about what this development is since many properties are listed with over 3 acres per house. Link is: ~ Rolling Glen Ranch ~ (broken link)

THANKS to all for replies, I really want to hear the good and the bad!

Old 10-10-2007, 05:30 PM

30 posts, read 123,707 times
Just looking to throw this posting back to the top and try and get some replies, thanks!!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 6,436 times
Default Rolling Glen Ranch

Looking at the web site you can see that Rolling Glen Ranch is what is referred to as a "Smart Growth Comunity", having a community built around a town center with infrastructure, open space, and ammenities, but most of all, planning, instead of the urban sprall that is taking place thoughout Montana.

Citizens for Responsible Growth

Old 07-08-2008, 09:53 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Wonder why the prices are not listed? I just moved to avoid one of these in Oregon, believe me noone local will be able to afford it. While I agree to the idea of things being in place to serve the community, the community still has to move in and out of the area, needs medical services and will be asking the local tax roll to fund many things. Personally I would rather have a wheat field. and btw I bought a shack in eastern Montana that was an eyesore and have brought it back to life, work in the community in a needed capacity and have not complained one time, what is there to complain about? Nothing wait till the "fly fishing academy" have a frozen radiator

Old 07-08-2008, 12:30 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Wonder why the prices are not listed? I just moved to avoid one of these in Oregon, believe me noone local will be able to afford it. While I agree to the idea of things being in place to serve the community, the community still has to move in and out of the area, needs medical services and will be asking the local tax roll to fund many things. Personally I would rather have a wheat field. and btw I bought a shack in eastern Montana that was an eyesore and have brought it back to life, work in the community in a needed capacity and have not complained one time, what is there to complain about? Nothing wait till the "fly fishing academy" have a frozen radiator
I can't see the site because it's all flash and I don't do flash in my browser... but anyway...

My realtor dude in Bozeman sends me dailies, and a lot of 'em are in Rolling Glen or nearby. (Utterly unsuitable, but it's an automated sending thingee) Anyway asking prices in that area (there are a couple subdivs thereabouts) are $60k to $140k depending on the naked lot, with the smaller lots being on the higher end. And I gotta laugh at the listings that claim it's "only 25 minutes from Bozeman". I want to see 'em do it in 25 minutes in December.

And yes, I would much rather it stayed a wheat field. It's going to completely destroy the character of the area. Not to mention help raise the price of wheat, as arable land gets scarcer.

BTW where is the Three Forks thread someone mentioned?? I don't see it.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:30 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,168,673 times
I know the area, and ground is already broken on this project. Don't know if it'll fly right away until the mortgage mess is somewhat cleaned up. Less equity in other areas means better prices here, hate to say it, but I kind of hope it gets worse in certain places so that some of the locals out here will have a shot at home ownership again.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:44 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
I think the saddest part is the paving over of good farmland. Everyone thinks they need a view and a green lawn. I like the comment about the travel in December,(I live two blocks from work for that very reason)

Old 09-16-2008, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,198 times
Default Rolling Glen Ranch

I live in Rolling Glen Ranch and although I am not a big fan of the developer, I love living there. I grew up in MT and have some of the same sad recollections of a simpler time before the small towns became sprawling communities overtaking the farm and wild lands.

However, I am glad that we have some development like Rolling Glen because it allows locals like me and my young family to afford to be able to have a few acres and enjoy the montana lifestyle. Homes in the RGR area are incredibly affordable - some less than $100/sf with 3+ acres. I am not in favor of mismanaged out of control growth, but I would rather that there are communities that allow locals to afford a home and acreage than the property is bought up and fenced off by out of staters. We enjoy fishing the rivers, hiking the Elk Horns and hunting the public and block managed property nearby. And Bozeman really is only 25 minutes away except those December days.

btw - I don't see any possible way that RGR will develop as the Master Plan lays it out. I would expect it will stay a small rural residential community with dirt roads and vast fields surrounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana