U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 PM

3,188 posts, read 4,197,972 times
I found people in the Missoula, Montana area to be more genuinely friendly than people are are down here in the south. If I had been able to afford property there, I may have stayed. But the property prices were ridiculous compared to the jobs available a couple of year ago. Rich out of staters were driving the prices beyond the reach of working class people, and that was a shame. To be fair, I see that the prices have fallen now that the "bubble" has burst, and people in California are no longer able to sell/cash out their homes for outrageous prices, and use the money to purchase in Montana or Idaho.

But, the people were really nice, and surprisingly liberal, in the Missoula area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 AM

6,429 posts, read 7,304,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycabbie View Post
They would probably have to consult with the physic first tho....
Just a quick thought is physic just another name for con artist?
LOL!! Yep, that's about right.

BTW that's a pretty funny spello -- psychic being a con artist, physic being a purgative. I suggest a new hybrid, the psysic: "a shyster who takes your money and leaves you coming and going"

Old 01-09-2011, 09:06 AM

54 posts, read 55,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post

BTW that's a pretty funny spello -- psychic being a con artist, physic being a purgative. I suggest a new hybrid, the psysic: "a shyster who takes your money and leaves you coming and going"

Kinda reminds me of our gov. at the moment

Old 01-11-2011, 03:29 PM
GLS

1,990 posts, read 3,407,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post

Careful, you are about to start a "movement".

Old 04-07-2011, 05:47 PM

6 posts, read 15,741 times
Okay, I am from Montana, Born and raised, and I think I understand the hateful attitude that this person encountered. I agree with you. We can be hateful. Especially to wealthy newcomers who are trying to buy up our hunting land so that they can "feed the wild animals" and "Let Bambi live". Alot of us are poor. We have to hunt on that land to supplement our food dollars so that our kids don't starve. We love to see deer too, but if it comes between seeing a beautiful animal just to look at or killing said animal to feed our children, sorry, the animal will become food. We also have a problem with you bringing your drug addictions to our state and our kids. Also, how welcome do you think you will be anywhere if you assume that the people who live there are "stupid, backward hicks" that aren't fit to lick your boot heels, and act accordingly?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 AM

14 posts, read 16,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I am a native montanan. For the most part people are very friendly here. I do see values and morales dropping with each generation but that is mainly due to bad parenting. Rule of thumb here: the older the person, the friendlier they will be. Also, out-of-staters moving here....don't come here and think within one montana winter you are 1.a professional hunter 2.are a professional driver on montana winter roads 3. that small towns will "embrace" your californian culture and 4. you need to have the biggest baddest 4 wheel drive to get around
you almost took the words out of my mouth magoomasfoo! if anyone is rude to an out-of-stater its probably for one of these 4 reasons

just have to add this though:

we are not keen to being changed, if you move to our great state leave your politics behind, we love to live free, we've been shooting since we're old enough to aim, ran the woods since we were able to walk, most of us are from logging and mining families and we were raised hunting and fishing for meat on the table. as long as that's respected you shouldn't have a problem with the locals.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 PM

2,672 posts, read 1,565,397 times
I don't know about the OP's experience, and that was back in 07'. I just got home from a trip that had me in Polson for a few days and then Missoula for two days. Now, I've lived in Montana for summers back when I was a kid, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with MT. I'll have to say that my trip was fantastic. Everyone was super friendly.

Wednesday night when I arrived in Polson I met with a friend and we had dinner at Riccardos then a couple of beers in some little bar in downtown Polson. I loved the way everyone was really friendly. Thursday night I drove almost to Bigfork, but stopped at the Raven, which is a little bar on the way to Bigfork. I had been there once before about eight years ago. Drank one beer and had a great time visiting with the folks who were in there before driving back to Polson.

Late Friday afternoon it was off to Missoula for a couple of days. Everyone I met in Missoula was friendly. It was a great trip and no one even came close to being treating me like the OP complained about. I've always loved Montana and seem to always be treated very well when I'm there.

Thanks to all the locals who made me feel very welcome!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 899 times
Lived there from 63-68 in the air force.Loved every minute of it.Greatest people I was ever around in 20 years of service.Old John Grayson was like my grandpa.Dave Burch was like the brother I never had.Always wanted to go back and never made it.Now I am too old and crippled up.People know me now as Poppaskip.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:20 AM

18,868 posts, read 14,961,422 times
Everyone here is nice to me.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:10 AM

61 posts, read 59,168 times
Being a former fourteen year resident of Helena I have to say is that if you move to the state and expect it's citizenry to accept your way of life as opposed to the other way around then expect your time in Montana to be wrought with failure.

Come, assimilate and blend into the fabric of Montana or face the consequences of not doing so.

Very simple, very easy.

Julia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana