Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:58 PM

11 posts, read 97,864 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious how many still live off their land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 01:03 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Not even the Amish completely live off the land anymore.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 PM

989 posts, read 3,524,919 times
I sure dont.

Growing up we came pretty close to it at times. Dad would put in a huge garden and it went a long ways to keeping us fed. We also had an orchard, a dairy in the family, and venison from the deer dad would shoot each year.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:14 PM

495 posts, read 492,601 times
Lots of people do like to go out and 'get their meat' for the season when it rolls around. Which I have no problem with - the people that tick me off are the 'gonna live off the land' types that move here and the first thing they do is start pulling out every last trout they can catch out of the rivers, they don't know or even care what the regualtions are not that it matters, they'd just go back everyday anyway until they clean the hole out. Then complain and move on to the next one.
I saw some last weekend, dunking worms and the big stringer of trout, 'gonna smoke 'em up for the winter' - please this isn't 1800s. The trout populations are pretty fragile and certainly can't take every joe-blow running down to get dinner and load up the freezer. Especialy in this day and age with all the ever increasing fishing pressure.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:47 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeMan View Post
Lots of people do like to go out and 'get their meat' for the season when it rolls around. Which I have no problem with - the people that tick me off are the 'gonna live off the land' types that move here and the first thing they do is start pulling out every last trout they can catch out of the rivers, they don't know or even care what the regualtions are not that it matters, they'd just go back everyday anyway until they clean the hole out. Then complain and move on to the next one.
I saw some last weekend, dunking worms and the big stringer of trout, 'gonna smoke 'em up for the winter' - please this isn't 1800s. The trout populations are pretty fragile and certainly can't take every joe-blow running down to get dinner and load up the freezer. Especialy in this day and age with all the ever increasing fishing pressure.
Well said...that gave me a perfect mental image of a few people I have met over the years.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:22 PM

33 posts, read 79,722 times
It really depends on where you are in Montana, some area i suppose you could have a garden with all the "regular" veggies however in the Mountains you are lucky to get carrots and cabbage family crops, Here in Butte we can not grow tomatoes or corn or etc... without a greenhouse =(

So it would be difficult to feed a family on what you can produce. You could raise a steer, hog or chickens , but without sufficent land ( many acres) you would need to buy grain and hay

If you are into self sufficency I would suggest visiting Countryside and smal stock journal ( look em up on google for website) they are devoted to that sort of thing

Old 02-21-2008, 12:52 PM

8 posts, read 19,455 times
Having written many articles about vegetable gardening, etc plus being a rancher in Montana, I can truthfully say that unless you could trade with other farmers around the state, you could not be 'self-suficient' and live off the land in Montana. Although at least half of Montana's state income comes from ag-related industries such as wheat, honey, cattle, etc. other production of fruits (cherries, apples) and veggies has fallen off dramatically over the past 50 years. The only areas that have climate temperate enough to sustain veg/fruit gardening without a LOT of help are Bitterroot Valley, Plains, Thompson Falls and parts of the Flathead. There are many alternative crops and livestock that are somewhat easier to grow in Montana's diverse, cold climate, but it's difficult even then.
I know. I grew and raised food at a 5600' elevation for a family of seven and spent months drying and canning food. It's not easy.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:45 PM

5 posts, read 16,562 times
Default Montana Gardening advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglewoman View Post
The only areas that have climate temperate enough to sustain veg/fruit gardening without a LOT of help are Bitterroot Valley, Plains, Thompson Falls and parts of the Flathead. There are many alternative crops and livestock that are somewhat easier to grow in Montana's diverse, cold climate, but it's difficult even then.
I know. I grew and raised food at a 5600' elevation for a family of seven and spent months drying and canning food. It's not easy.
I was wondering if you'd be so kind as to share some information on what makes gardening in Montana difficult? Is it strictly the elevation? Or does it have more to do with the soil? Or maybe it is just a combination? Any information you could provide would be most helpful as I am planning a move to Montana and I'd like to remain as self-sufficient as possible. Many thanks in advance

Old 02-25-2008, 06:20 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
The soil is wonderful for the most part, the big problem is cold and a short growing season. Around us (Kalispell,Whitefish,Columbia Falls) blackberries,cherries and onions do OK but tomatoes are iffy at best. We got peppers to grow and potatoes and probably could get carrots but you'd better learn canning and have lots of storage because after the 3 month season you'll not grow anything unless it's in a greenhouse.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 PM

51 posts, read 235,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganpony View Post
It really depends on where you are in Montana, some area i suppose you could have a garden with all the "regular" veggies however in the Mountains you are lucky to get carrots and cabbage family crops, Here in Butte we can not grow tomatoes or corn or etc... without a greenhouse =(

So it would be difficult to feed a family on what you can produce. You could raise a steer, hog or chickens , but without sufficent land ( many acres) you would need to buy grain and hay

If you are into self sufficency I would suggest visiting Countryside and smal stock journal ( look em up on google for website) they are devoted to that sort of thing

good advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana