Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 11:02 PM

93 posts, read 364,837 times

Advertisements

i'm going to be driving from nashville to seattle in the end of november, and one of the routes i'm contemplating is I90 - which will take me through Montana.

I'm trying to be as prepared as possible - although of course there's no way to know what the weather will be like this far in advance.

i've called up a motel six in Billings, where they haven't had snow yet - and they mentioned it's really hit or miss. I also called up another motel6 in butte montana, and they mentioned that they've already had three snow storms and to generally expect snow in late november. i guess this is due to butte being higher up in the mountains.

i'd really appreciate any opinions anyone might have on the late november montana weather as it relates to I90 specifically.

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 01:53 AM

83 posts, read 316,539 times
Heavy snow, compact ice, high winds and blizzard conditions, all these can be encountered when traversing Montana. So can sunshine and beautiful weather dry pavement and spring like conditions. Carry snow chains extra food, water, blankets, medicines, flash lites, spare tire, jumper cables, and any other necessary supplies. Also a little bag of sand in your trunk encase you get stuck. Common sense is a must, just be prepared for the worst weather and you should be fine. Remember if you break down, help may be hours away so you have to be prepared. Plus carry your emergency cell phone just in case. Have your car checked out by your favorite professional mechanic and you will be fine. Have a great trip through our state and bring your camera! One small additional warning, we do have speed limits here that are higher than in most other states. They are not always safe to operate at if you are from another state with lower limits. Drive as if your child's life depends on it, IT DOES!

Old 10-28-2007, 02:00 AM

83 posts, read 316,539 times
I should have added this, If you think about Wyoming instead of Montana the weather can be far worse. Wyoming is known for its extremly high winds and cold winter temps. I would pick I 90 over I 80 any day. There are some low passes in eastern Montana but so high ones in the west part of the state, Livingston, Bozeman, Butte, have passes close to those cities and 4th of July pass and Lookout passes are close and on the Idaho border. After that, smooth sailing. Good Luck and let us know how it was for you!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Good post Hogrider, I would also like to add that you may want to budget a couple of extra days into your trip. If we get a storm the roads will close and you'll be stopped not to mention that you should also plan to stop if the weather starts to get beyond your comfort level. If you're not used to ice and snow it can get intimidating or down right scary and there really isn't a lot of room for errors when driving on ice, slow and easy is the rule of the day! We've had days when 25 mph is as fast as you're safe to go and had to dodge around jacknifed big rigs on the road. Our worst part was around Little Big Horn, ice for miles.
If you're careful, use your common sense you should be fine and I can't stress enough, pack the things Hogrider suggested! Hopefully you'll never need them but if you do it could save your life!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:06 AM

93 posts, read 364,837 times
this is all great and sound advice. I know myself, and i don't have a lot of experience driving in icy/snowy weather, and i agree with the comments above - that having to drive in those conditions for long periods of time - would be very draining.

I do tend to get nervous in those type of conditions for any type of prolonged timeframe so if anything, depending on the weather, i might simply type I40 west and then shoot up north.

It might be the coward's way out, ha - but there's something to be said for knowing one's own limits and getting there a day later than not at all. Suffice to say, if i think bad weather is in the forecast - i will be shooting down I40 (boring but safer) instead.

thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana