Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 06:56 AM

124 posts, read 277,129 times

Advertisements

After crunching numerous "quality of life" statistics, the Milken Institute ranked Missoula as the 8th best small metro area in the country for successful aging. Two other Montana cities were not far behind -- Billings (21st) and Great Falls (23rd). I find this curious. I’ve always had the impression that Montana is a place of rugged individualism. I wouldn’t have considered it a haven for weathering the ever-increasing frailties of old age. (But perhaps rugged individualism is not inconsistent with compassionate caring for the elderly?) Is this just an instance of statistics failing to reflect reality? Or are the small cities of Montana actually good places for growing old?

Montanans-- Do you agree that Missoula (Billings, Great Falls) is a good place for “successful aging”? If you had the opportunity to live anywhere in the USA in your final years, would you choose to stay in Montana? Why or why not?

Last edited by Wallop the Spot; 11-25-2012 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I agree and disagree with that assessment.

Agree: low cost of living, low crime. Well educated health care staff and facilities. Many programs for seniors.

Disagree: weather is an issue, if a person is in a wheelchair, snow can be complicating, ice is a huge fall risk. Lack of transportation is an issue, and for advanced medical care, folks have to go to Denver, Salt Lake or Seattle.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:09 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,523,752 times
Most people who have grown up in Montana desire to have at least a part time summer residence here. It has more to do with what type of atmosphere makes you feel content. I can not imagine not having a place here.

Montanans as a group are polite so I would imagine an older person would find that to be a plus.

But Montana does not have public transportation in most communities. I see that as the biggest negative to being old here. I personally think ideal retirement areas are places where you can buzz around on a golf cart or 4wheeler for your daily needs and not need use of a car.

Younger and active retirees have been moving to Montana for quite awhile. Some are returning home after retiring and others are just drawn to the outdoor activities. If you are physically fit it is a great place to have an active retirement. I also
believe people who spend a few months in warmer clime during winter are happier. They tend to stay more active year round and never get a winter cold.

It is not a place to be without financial security at any age. If searching for a place to retire where your money will stretch, Montana is not it. The Midwest or South will give much more bang for your buck.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:04 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
The Midwest or South will give much more bang for your buck.
That is so true but my wife wont leave Montana for anyplace that has a lot of insects or snakes.
Our dogs have never had fleas here, never seem to get ticks. Bedbugs are vary scarce and we love cold weather.
Mosquitoes don't seem bad and the people we have met often become very good friends.
No we will stay for a while longer, unless we somehow discover a better place to make moonshine, oops I meant retire ! ~♥~

Old 11-25-2012, 04:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
I do know one thing, there are more state resource and programs for seniors here than in Florida. Why? Population size. There are less folks, so they get access to more resources and programs. Assisted living apartments are much nicer here, with a bigger bang for your buck than Florida. Lots of nice places in Billings, Great Falls...Helena, even Bozeman.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:36 AM

324 posts, read 714,036 times
Latest data I have is that Montana is one of three states with NO DEFICIT!

Also the state is the 18th best managed state with a median income of $44,222, 6.8% unemployment and only 14.8% of its population below the poverty line.

Missoula and Bozeman are primarily university towns - so the facts are skewed. Billings and Great Falls are truly the heartbeats of the state.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM

Hawknest-
Before you get too excited about the great fiscal shape Montana is in, you need factor in the just under 4 billion dollars of unfunded pension liability that is hanging above us. That is billion with a B.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM

324 posts, read 714,036 times
I know about that - and the other 2 states without deficits have the same problem

Old 11-30-2012, 08:03 PM

South Dakota, Wyoming, & Nebraska are in best fiscal shape with no debt.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,324 times
I think Montana has a lot of nice things to offer, including some incredible scenery and some beautiful wide, open spaces. There are a lot of activities in the Billings area, too. In the end, thought, I think everything is relative depending on where you've lived in the past.

For instance, I grew up in Kansas/Nebraska, and I've also lived in the Denver area. We spent the last 10 years in northern Arizona (Prescott/Sedona/Flagstaff) area, and are now in Montana. I will say that as far as climate, sunshine, and things to do it's pretty hard to beat Prescott's mild 4-season climate. The housing in the area is also cheaper than what we're finding in Montana. On the other hand, Billings is still a great place to live, with a good economy (much better than AZ right now) and I would say it's a close second to northern Arizona.

I'd prefer a bit more sunshine and little warmer winter temps here in Montana . . . but that's just me and what I've gotten used to the past 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana