U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 01:26 PM

5,792 posts, read 9,248,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnterese View Post
Well, we have been here for about six months now and absolutely love it! The house turned out to be much nicer than we thought, needing mostly just some "prettying up" which we are still working on. We ended up buying furniture on craigslist, and after a few trips to Spokane and CDA, we have what we need to be comfortable for now. I still look around me and think that this is the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my life.

Clark Fork Fantast, that was an amazing picture of the elk on Elk Creek. We really enjoyed seeing them when we drove down that road in the spring, and even had a herd on our front lawn when we first moved here. We fenced the front for the livestock now, and we haven't seen them in a while, or maybe it's because of the time of year with hunting season and everything and they are just staying more in the trees. We did have a couple of moose come through in the spring, which was great to see also.

We're getting ready for winter now, have our firewood, and bought an old truck with a plow. I was thinking of getting some studded tires for my Jeep, but they seem to be really expensive. Any recommendations on where to buy them, or even if we really need them?
So cool to hear from you! Thanks for the update, and congratulations! Glad everything worked out. Yes, isn't the CF Valley the most beautiful place on earth? And I guess the elk are still hanging around on Elk Creek! Good to know. We had moose and deer going through our place in August--and the resident cougar, too. Never a dull moment...

Full-time locals will know more about winter tires than I do, but I know the Spokane/CdA tire stores have studded tires, and our local friends swear by them. They've told us that if you're in the back country you'll need them.

Keep us posted!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,976 times
We were alerted recently about incorrect, defamatory posts about our business, Amber Bear Inn, posted by blogger, Mr. Miker. We have a pretty good idea who he is. And, we would like to alert others to the real facts. Amber Bear Inn had nothing to do with bears who were euthanized. The euthanized bears, and the parties involved were many miles away and actually in the town of Noxon, not Heron. The party lives in a residence, not a business, and it was well-recorded who was involved, in multiple newspapers in northwest Montana. There is no link to Amber Bear Inn. Additionally, Amber Bear Inn, has never been "shut down" for not having a gaming license to gamble. We've never applied for a gaming license. Our only link to gambling involved two Heron residents who asked that we make a donation of the use of a conference room for Friday night bingo gambling as a fund raiser for the Noxon School (where Heron children are bused to as there is no School in Heron). We were quite happy to help the School and donate the room, but being a commercial business, told them we believed it would require a gambling license. When we inquired with the State, we were correct, it would require a gambling license (cost $1000) and we declined to participate. As we were the second Heron business to be approached by these individuals, and the second Heron business in several days to be told by the Gambling Division of the Department of Justice about the need for an actual license the Department investigated. They found the Heron Senior Center bingo-gambling without a license and it was the gambling at the Senior Center that was shut down by the Department of Justice. Heron residents, Larry White and Digger Powell contributed the $300 to the Senior Center to buy the license required by law to re-instate that license legally. Later, State legislators changed Montana's gambling laws so it was not an illegal violation to bingo gamble in a Senior Center. We also would like to comment about an inflammatory post regarding the Heron bridge. We believe the Heron bridge would be better located near Four Corners North Road for several reasons, when the new bridge is built. The banks are very high there and the railroad tracks are quite a ways down, so the bridge located there would go over the top of the rails and traffic wouldn't have to wait on the many, dangerous freight trains. Currently there are two railroad tracks you must cross going into where the town of Heron used to be (there are no commercial businesses left there now, they have all gone out of business). There are not even safety arms to alert traffic to oncoming trains, only flashing lights. Secondly, a bridge there would give traffic coming off the bridge, turning onto busy highway 200, much better visibility as the current location is extremely dangerous for a west-bound turn as there is a hill that blocks the view of oncoming traffic (it is a blind corner and the speed limit is 70 miles an hour). Third, the current bridge will be torn down at a cost of a million dollars to taxpayers. The owner of Amber Bear Inn proposed leaving it up as a foot or bicycling bridge (similar to what was done in nearby Clark Fork when they replaced their old bridge). That would save a million dollars, and in effect Heron would have two bridges at less cost than one bridge at a million dollars more. Fourth, the current location of the old bridge forces car up and down an extremely steep, icy hill in the winter. Its freightening. A Bridge near Four Corners North would be on nearly level ground, with no steep hill. Finally, the banks of the Clark Fork River, appear much closer together at Four Corners North, meaning a shorter bridge and a less expensive one. Therefore, at a public meeting asking for public comments, the owner made this proposition, for a bridge that was faster to build, cheaper to build, safer to travel on.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthfullyYours View Post
We were alerted recently about incorrect, defamatory posts about our business, Amber Bear Inn, posted by blogger, Mr. Miker. We have a pretty good idea who he is. And, we would like to alert others to the real facts. Amber Bear Inn had nothing to do with bears who were euthanized. The euthanized bears, and the parties involved were many miles away and actually in the town of Noxon, not Heron. The party lives in a residence, not a business, and it was well-recorded who was involved, in multiple newspapers in northwest Montana. There is no link to Amber Bear Inn. Additionally, Amber Bear Inn, has never been "shut down" for not having a gaming license to gamble. We've never applied for a gaming license. Our only link to gambling involved two Heron residents who asked that we make a donation of the use of a conference room for Friday night bingo gambling as a fund raiser for the Noxon School (where Heron children are bused to as there is no School in Heron). We were quite happy to help the School and donate the room, but being a commercial business, told them we believed it would require a gambling license. When we inquired with the State, we were correct, it would require a gambling license (cost $1000) and we declined to participate. As we were the second Heron business to be approached by these individuals, and the second Heron business in several days to be told by the Gambling Division of the Department of Justice about the need for an actual license the Department investigated. They found the Heron Senior Center bingo-gambling without a license and it was the gambling at the Senior Center that was shut down by the Department of Justice. Heron residents, Larry White and Digger Powell contributed the $300 to the Senior Center to buy the license required by law to re-instate that license legally. Later, State legislators changed Montana's gambling laws so it was not an illegal violation to bingo gamble in a Senior Center. We also would like to comment about an inflammatory post regarding the Heron bridge. We believe the Heron bridge would be better located near Four Corners North Road for several reasons, when the new bridge is built. The banks are very high there and the railroad tracks are quite a ways down, so the bridge located there would go over the top of the rails and traffic wouldn't have to wait on the many, dangerous freight trains. Currently there are two railroad tracks you must cross going into where the town of Heron used to be (there are no commercial businesses left there now, they have all gone out of business). There are not even safety arms to alert traffic to oncoming trains, only flashing lights. Secondly, a bridge there would give traffic coming off the bridge, turning onto busy highway 200, much better visibility as the current location is extremely dangerous for a west-bound turn as there is a hill that blocks the view of oncoming traffic (it is a blind corner and the speed limit is 70 miles an hour). Third, the current bridge will be torn down at a cost of a million dollars to taxpayers. The owner of Amber Bear Inn proposed leaving it up as a foot or bicycling bridge (similar to what was done in nearby Clark Fork when they replaced their old bridge). That would save a million dollars, and in effect Heron would have two bridges at less cost than one bridge at a million dollars more. Fourth, the current location of the old bridge forces car up and down an extremely steep, icy hill in the winter. Its freightening. A Bridge near Four Corners North would be on nearly level ground, with no steep hill. Finally, the banks of the Clark Fork River, appear much closer together at Four Corners North, meaning a shorter bridge and a less expensive one. Therefore, at a public meeting asking for public comments, the owner made this proposition, for a bridge that was faster to build, cheaper to build, safer to travel on.
So glad to hear your side of the story! And welcome to City-Data Forum. We're "almost" neighbors, just across the Idaho state line, so anything that concerns Heron concerns us, too, since we're closer to Heron than Clark Fork. (Personally, I have a dream of reviving the old border town of Cabinet, but I think that train has left the station permanently...) We have good friends in Heron who have nothing but good things to say about the Amber Bear, and we're looking forward to stopping by soon. And we appreciate your stocking groceries, now that the Heron Market is closed!

Your take on the Heron Bridge sounds utterly sensible to me, regardless of the fact that Four Corners is closer to the Inn. Especially the argument that a high bridge at Four Corners would bypass the trains weighs very heavily with us--we'd choose to go to Highway 200 through Heron rather than through Clark Fork if that were a reality, and so would everybody else along River Road (Idaho), I'm sure. Especially with the prospect of added coal trains, a bridge over the tracks would be of enormous importance. Do you (or anyone else from Heron/Noxon here) know if the current bridge has been scheduled for demolishing, and if so, when? I think preserving it as a foot bridge/bicycle bridge would be the only reasonable course of action. We love the old Clark Fork Bridge, it makes for a fantastic photo op, and for observation of ospreys. The Heron Bridge would serve the same function. It would be the coolest viewpoint in the entire area.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,976 times
We don't actually stock groceries anymore. The first time the Heron Store closed down for the winter (after many decades of being open year-round) we stocked some essential groceries so the townspeople didn't have to drive so far to get eggs, milk, produce, etc. We did it all winter, hoping the Heron Store would get back on their feet and be open year round after that. It didn't happen, and the owner tried hard to sell it. She was very nice to the old military Vets and let them hang around her porch drinking coffee, which was very nice of her. But, I guess people don't mind the long drive to Sandpoint and do without until they can go into a big grocery store. Its not a business we want to be in, a small grocery store in a rural area isn't very profitable (the Bull River Junction convenience store also closed down now). On occasion, someone calls us up looking for something now (like fresh produce, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc.) and we obviously keep that in stock as we feed our lodging guests, so we've maintained our convenience store license. Its really mean for the previous blogger to say we did it to scalp the local people, we did it as a service to the community and only added on 10% to the price we paid at Walmart (we don't pay sales tax, and you would pay almost that much for sales tax, so it was really almost a wash price wise. That's why you really can't believe ANYTHING MR. MIKER says. Seems like he really handed out a lot of defamation to many of the small businesses in the area, he's probably one of the anti-development group). As far as the bridge, we believe the bridge would be far more advantageous to this town to be located one mile west, but there is a small anti-development group in Heron that will do everything they can to destroy the town. You don't really have a town if you don't have a small nucleus of a business community, and these people keep suing small businesses and even a proposed upscale gated, vacation home development that would have brought in needed jobs and tax dollars (pave the roads, put in an elementary school, who knows?).The downtown area, on the East end really looks shabby now as the former store has gone to seedy rentals. The west end (of railroad avenue) has had some older homes remodeled (the Wilsons and the Sellmers) and it looks nice, but there's no commercial businesses on RAil Road avenue anymore, and they are thinking of even closing the Post Office. We also are opposed to the very UGLY design of the bridge. Clark Fork did a lovely job with their two bridges they replaced over the last decade. The "new" Heron bridge looks a lot like the old Noxon bridge and will destroy the view. If a new bridge were built one mile to the west and the old bridge was left as a walking/biking bridge, it would be such an advantage to the town. But, that's not in their agenda.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:08 PM

Default Update on the Heron Bridge

Well, it looks like the old, one-lane Heron Bridge is getting replaced now, in the same location. I drove across a few days ago, and it was as "exciting" as ever. I am not sorry to see that bridge go--I just wish they'd keep it as a footbridge next to the new bridge.

I had a weird experience, by the way: it is customary to wait for oncoming traffic already on the bridge and let them pass, so that's what I did. I pulled over, and as I was waiting for a car to drive across, I did the usual little backroads wave to the driver. And guess what he did? Wiggled his index finger at me, tut-tut style, as if I had done something inappropriate!

I have no idea what went on there. I doubt it was a special Heron Thanksgiving greeting . Maybe he thought I was going to muscle my way onto the bridge. The only other thing I can think of is that I was driving a rental car that ironically happened to have CA plates...

Old 12-18-2015, 01:16 AM

27 posts, read 49,703 times
For anyone who cares.....

Dawn bought the property and! Made it only a short time before realizing that life is not a Mother Earth News article in Heron and put their property back up for sale. One family from upstate New York almost bought the land, even moved here to a rental for a few weeks, but then abandoned all hope. Life in Heron is not Etsy and designer rubber boots. Moral of the story is: sometimes when you jump in with both feet its actually a punji pit, you choose whether to be barefoot or to ease in with a ladder.

That goes for anywhere, not just Heron.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:04 AM

4,637 posts, read 3,956,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miker View Post

Dawn bought the property and! Made it only a short time before realizing that life is not a Mother Earth News article in Heron and put their property back up for sale. One family from upstate New York almost bought the land, even moved here to a rental for a few weeks, but then abandoned all hope. Life in Heron is not Etsy and designer rubber boots. Moral of the story is: sometimes when you jump in with both feet its actually a punji pit, you choose whether to be barefoot or to ease in with a ladder.

Is this relatively inexpensive property? It seems odd to buy without actually seeing in person first.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:

That's too bad, but I had bad feelings, too, about Dawn buying the place unseen. Thanks for the update. We visited the area (Clark Fork/Heron) 4-5 times before buying property, and another 5-6 times before we actually started building. Doesn't mean we're immune to surprises! But we try to be realistic while being upbeat...

Making it work all depends (IMO) on how remote the place really is, and how much one is willing to modify one's habits and expectations.

Miker, were you affected by the fires in August? That was frightening.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:23 AM

27 posts, read 49,703 times
We got put on pre-evacuation for the Whitetail fire but the one on Jacks Gulch that got put out fast was way closer to our property.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
We got put on pre-evacuation for the Whitetail fire but the one on Jacks Gulch that got put out fast was way closer to our property.
Glad your place was spared! Our area was on pre-evac for the Whitetail fire, too, but the firefighters managed to keep it from spreading down the mountainside toward us. Soooo...in spring we're having a tree guy come in and do the "defensible space" thing. Better safe than devastated...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana