U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 12:28 PM

6 posts, read 7,424 times

Advertisements

So, I am getting medically retired from the military, I will have about 1- 1 1/2 years of nursing school left which I will finish up in WNY as that is where I have been accepted to college and it is close to my family.

My wife and myself are looking at moving after I graduate school. She will be licensed to do medical billing and coding as well has supervisory work with AFLAC.

Our thoughts are is we want a small town, 400-6000 people, within a days drive of a city. We want to be able to get most of our life needs in the town but not afraid to travel a bit for work as well.

Any ideas of areas to look at?

We are looking at Oklahoma, Montana, Nebraska, and Missouri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM

9,142 posts, read 5,451,268 times
Default Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmort View Post
So, I am getting medically retired from the military, I will have about 1- 1 1/2 years of nursing school left which I will finish up in WNY as that is where I have been accepted to college and it is close to my family.

My wife and myself are looking at moving after I graduate school. She will be licensed to do medical billing and coding as well has supervisory work with AFLAC.

Our thoughts are is we want a small town, 400-6000 people, within a days drive of a city. We want to be able to get most of our life needs in the town but not afraid to travel a bit for work as well.

Any ideas of areas to look at?

We are looking at Oklahoma, Montana, Nebraska, and Missouri
Just a wild suggestion, but if you are willing to look at Montana, you might consider Sheridan, Wyoming. It has about 17-20k people, but is located at the foot of the Bighorn Mountains, scenery is fabulous locally, and about 3 hours or so from the eastern entrance of Yellowstone National Park.

The nearest big city is Billings, Montana maybe three-four hours north. Casper (population 55k) is a couple of hours south.

From Sheridan, you can drive east toward Devil's Tower, Custer State Park (Nebraska, I believe), and Mt. Rushmore. West you can go to Cody, Wyoming which during the summer hosts a rodeo every night, I think. Drive north and visit the Little-Bighorn Battlefield, an extremely intersting stop for history lovers.

Sheridan has a well-respected hospital, but getting a job there may be problematic. However, I assume your wife works remotely? I know you can do that as a biller/coder with a lot of hospitals, maybe even out of state. Cody also has a pretty nice hospital with which my wife telephone interviewed to consider a medical staff director position. (We ultimately chose Dallas where pay was more than double!)

For anyone who likes the outdoors, Wyoming, particularly northern Wyoming, is a paradise. Go read some posts on the Wyoming thread and see if it appeals to you. No income tax, sales tax between 4%-5% depending on locality, and, not sure, but don't think it applies to groceries.

Winters which a lot of people worry about aren't as savage over the entire season as some might think. You can find threads which talk about the winters there. I believe Sheridan is considered the "banana belt" of Wyoming because of overall milder weather compared to other parts of the state.

You are doing the right thing by planning early. And, as with any place, VISIT before you leap.

Thank you for your service (from an old MC Viet Nam vet)

Good luck and God speed.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 PM

7,658 posts, read 8,947,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Just a wild suggestion, but if you are willing to look at Montana, you might consider Sheridan, Wyoming. It has about 17-20k people, but is located at the foot of the Bighorn Mountains, scenery is fabulous locally, and about 3 hours or so from the eastern entrance of Yellowstone National Park.

The nearest big city is Billings, Montana maybe three-four hours north. Casper (population 55k) is a couple of hours south.

From Sheridan, you can drive east toward Devil's Tower, Custer State Park (Nebraska, I believe), and Mt. Rushmore. West you can go to Cody, Wyoming which during the summer hosts a rodeo every night, I think. Drive north and visit the Little-Bighorn Battlefield, an extremely intersting stop for history lovers.

Sheridan has a well-respected hospital, but getting a job there may be problematic. However, I assume your wife works remotely? I know you can do that as a biller/coder with a lot of hospitals, maybe even out of state. Cody also has a pretty nice hospital with which my wife telephone interviewed to consider a medical staff director position. (We ultimately chose Dallas where pay was more than double!)

For anyone who likes the outdoors, Wyoming, particularly northern Wyoming, is a paradise. Go read some posts on the Wyoming thread and see if it appeals to you. No income tax, sales tax between 4%-5% depending on locality, and, not sure, but don't think it applies to groceries.

Winters which a lot of people worry about aren't as savage over the entire season as some might think. You can find threads which talk about the winters there. I believe Sheridan is considered the "banana belt" of Wyoming because of overall milder weather compared to other parts of the state.

You are doing the right thing by planning early. And, as with any place, VISIT before you leap.

Thank you for your service (from an old MC Viet Nam vet)

Good luck and God speed.
I second Sheridan. Wyoming has better wages than Montana and the same quality of life.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 AM

4,638 posts, read 3,960,964 times
Montana has no cities. Billings with the largest population at 100,000 plus is just a larger version of the small towns found across the state. I always tell people Montana is just a small town. It is very rural.

Real estate costs will be lower with exception of inner city highrises in all the other states mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana