Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 AM

7 posts, read 24,818 times

Advertisements

Here is the story in a nutshell:

The husband and I grew up in sunny Idaho, then we got married and decided to try out Vancouver, WA. Beautiful area but the rain and dreary weather got to us. So we decided to try out the south and moved to Georgia (family member invited us to live there with him) - and we desperately miss the mountains and outdoors. We are thinking of moving to either Montana or Colorado now.

Neither of us are looking to become rich. We aren't rich by any means, but we have enough to be content. Our desire is to live in an area that is family friendly and full of outdoor adventures. We are backpackers and we desperately miss the mountains (yes, I just had to say that again).

Here is our question: which state would be better to move to, Colorado or Montana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Moved from the Idaho forum to the Montana forum.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lind2176 View Post
Here is the story in a nutshell:

The husband and I grew up in sunny Idaho, then we got married and decided to try out Vancouver, WA. Beautiful area but the rain and dreary weather got to us. So we decided to try out the south and moved to Georgia (family member invited us to live there with him) - and we desperately miss the mountains and outdoors. We are thinking of moving to either Montana or Colorado now.

Neither of us are looking to become rich. We aren't rich by any means, but we have enough to be content. Our desire is to live in an area that is family friendly and full of outdoor adventures. We are backpackers and we desperately miss the mountains (yes, I just had to say that again).

Here is our question: which state would be better to move to, Colorado or Montana?
I don't know anything about Colorado, but I will say to be aware of the high cost of living and low wages in the pretty, mountainous parts of Montana. Make sure you can get some good jobs before you decide to move there. You don't want to have to work two jobs and not have time to do the outdoor activities you enjoy.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:56 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I don't know anything about Colorado, but I will say to be aware of the high cost of living and low wages in the pretty, mountainous parts of Montana. Make sure you can get some good jobs before you decide to move there. You don't want to have to work two jobs and not have time to do the outdoor activities you enjoy.
Having lived all over Colorado & now Montana, I would say ditto for Colorado. Availability of jobs in your fields should come first.

I too am a backpacker & hiker, & Colorado & Montana both have plenty of that! Montana has Glacier & Yellowstone + much more, while Colorado has Rocky Mt Nat'l Pk, Colorado trail, plus much, much more.

It's jobs that should be top priority.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Having lived all over Colorado & now Montana, I would say ditto for Colorado. Availability of jobs in your fields should come first.

I too am a backpacker & hiker, & Colorado & Montana both have plenty of that! Montana has Glacier & Yellowstone + much more, while Colorado has Rocky Mt Nat'l Pk, Colorado trail, plus much, much more.

It's jobs that should be top priority.
This needs to be posted all over the Montana forum.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:42 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,460 times
Montana really doesn't need more people moving here looking for work. Unless one wants to work in the oil patch.
Montana in many ways is a "B.Y.O.J." state. What we need are folks who want to start businesses here and provide jobs to the folks here who are out of work.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:18 PM

101 posts, read 219,060 times
Made the choice years ago....

Montana...but you better have a job lined up.

Colorado, while I know it has small pockets of the country way of live is more swapped with city folks and city attitudes that Montana has been...

Old 01-08-2013, 05:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Colorado....beautiful scenery. Montana is beautiful, but mostly Western Montana.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:31 PM

7 posts, read 24,818 times
Thank you, everyone! I'm taking your opinion into consideration. I'm just shocked at the how many people on the forums are warning people not to move to Montana unless you get a job first.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lind2176 View Post
Thank you, everyone! I'm taking your opinion into consideration. I'm just shocked at the how many people on the forums are warning people not to move to Montana unless you get a job first.
Realistically it's not smart to move anywhere without having a job first, but the difference here is that Colorado has major cities where it may be a bit easier to find a decent-paying job, whereas those are a rarity in Montana. Plus many of us who have lived or currently live in Montana have seen many people come to Montana and find that all that natural beauty doesn't pay the bills and they end up leaving broke and upset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana