U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 AM

281 posts, read 730,225 times

Advertisements

After living here for about 3 1/2 months now, I think it's safe to say that I wish I had never left the Bitterroot Valley.

To recap:

The first week I move here, it just so happened that a vandalism spree was taking place with bb guns shooting out people's windows and our living room window was one of them. (I made an earlier thread about it)

After talking to police they assured me that in my area these occurrences were few and far between and not to worry.

Second week of living here, our passenger side truck window was shot out, had to pay out of pocket to fix.

Then things started to quiet down a bit as we rolled into November, but at the end of November, I was at town pump one night and witnessed a man punch out his girl friend right there in the parking lot, walk around his truck to passenger side to go for his gun, door was locked and he got mad, so he went back and punched her again, got into his truck and fled.

Three nights later, witnessed a brawl in same parking lot. Wishing there was another gas station in town late at night.

December, I witnessed a huge brawl in the street in front of VFW going to pick husband up from work.

Mid December, Town pump again - getting gas: A hoard of cop cars and tribal police come racing into the lot and get out, then drag some guy out and cuff him and about two more police show up and go into the gas station to find someone hiding in the bathroom. We get scared and leave, trying to make it home on no gas.

Toward end of December, someone tried to cut the chain on my daughter's bike and steal it. They were unsuccessful because one of our neighbors arrived home, and saw them take off running, leaving their flashlight behind.

First week of January, my husband and I are on our way home at 6pm coming down the road where we see an elderly man laying in the snow. We pull over to see if he is okay. He was beaten up by some young men and had his wallet stolen. He had a huge gash on his head and we took him to ER and phoned police.

LAST NIGHT: I'm sitting in the living room, when suddenly I see a laser pointer light on my living room window. I got frightened and jumped up and went to the bathroom. I don't know who it was or what they were doing, but it was 1 pm. And I'm considered to be in the "good" part of town.

I think I'm done.

I have an INCREDIBLE view here of the lake, the mountains and it's really gorgeous, but.... there's something really off about Polson and I can tell you now, I don't like it here. Before someone says "well, you moved to the rez, what did you expect". I assure you, most of these events took place with non natives.

The people, most of the people just seem very closed off and mostly rude at times. Some people at my husband's job are very nice and easy to talk with, but our neighbors are just very closed off and do not want to talk much. My husband and I are kind of out going and friendly. Not overly out going but we like to talk and get to know folks.

I lived in Lolo for almost six years, and never once, not once did I encounter any problem. My daughter left her bike many times out on the lawn, no one touched it. No one every vandalized our home, or vehicle. I felt safe there. I felt safe to go out at night too. Almost EVERY ONE is friendly there. I miss it and believe me if I could move back tomorrow, I would. Immediately.

I don't know what it is about Polson, but we will only stay until we can save enough money and move back to the Bitterroot valley. I hope that whoever lives here now, or comes here in the future has better experiences than I do... maybe I'm an anomaly, but I seriously hate it here right now and my husband is not happy either.

Maybe Polson is great in the summer, for just a visit to the lake, but to live here is another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 AM

451 posts, read 847,767 times
Seems to me you've had more than your share - no wonder you feel the way you do. Your words would to well in a letter to the editor and I happen to know that the Valley Journal would publish them.

Good Luck

MG

Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 AM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
The problems with the rez are not just with Natives. The criminal mentality is across the board. Any reservation is a cesspool. Sure, the views on the Flathead Reservation are nice, but they don't stop crime or make the people any better.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:48 AM

It's quite a situation. The moral of this story is, to double check the area you are moving into. Just because it's gorgeous and seemingly serene, doesn't mean that it is. Looks are deceiving.

What interested me is on the night we had to report our truck window being shot out, the police officer said that the first time they had ever made a call to my area was noted 10 years ago. That all of this was just an anomaly, but I think she said this to make us feel better. There is way more crime here than in Lolo. Period.

Monty, I don't see how anything I say in a news paper would stop what is going on here. I found out that the same type of bb gun vandalism spree went to Missoula as well.

All of this has been very depressing for me. I'm fighting MS and really need a peaceful home to be in.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,596,490 times
My wife and I are white and we have lived on the Flathead rez for many years and most of our friends are natives. We have never had any issues with any of the Indians on this rez but there are a lot of white thuggish morons here . A loose group of residents recently "Ran one thug out of the state", he wouldn't stop beating up his girl friend and even her dad wouldn't step up to the plate. My wife wants to buy a house in Polson and I think I just talked her out of it. By the way those cops saying they hardly ever have trouble like that are lying through their teeth. Very few serious crimes on this reservation are reported and the folks seem to take care of business the old fashioned way. The police seem to be more interested in eating doughnuts, drinking coffee and doing easy work such as writing traffic tickets. We may be moving down into the Bitterroot at some point soon. We have been on the rez way too long and it's time to move on anyway. I have a major gripe with the tribal government due to them using dirty tricks on us trying to collect a power bill that one of our tenants owed them. They illegally had the BIA dip into my bank account to cover a bill we didn't owe. The Kootenai and Salish (and The Pend D'Oreille) here are very nice folks but the tribal government seems to be corrupt as hell. I know a few Kootenai folks who have been fighting the tribal council for a while over money owed to individuals.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:02 PM

Thanks for sharing Don't Look. It's going to be awhile before I can move back because the last move cost me a good deal of money. If you move into the Bitterroot, I don't think you would regret it. It was a peaceful six years there for us. I'm Oglala Lakota, and don't have much trouble getting along with anyone wherever I go. I met some good people back in Lolo and my daughter had a lot of friends. We were stupid to move up here. Good luck to you!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,596,490 times
Good luck to you also Heart ~♥~. Perhaps we'll see ya when we are fishing on the river someday !
The Bitterroot River ~♥~
We do a lot of our shopping in Polson and it seems as though almost half of the older shops are closed and the Walmart is booming so much that they are building a new "Super Walmart" there now. I wanted to be by the lake but now that we aren't so focused on Polson we have found some really good deals in other areas.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:38 PM

82 posts, read 161,383 times
Heart, maybe we'll also see you along the Bitterroot someday

My wife and I moved to Hamilton in February of last year, and it fits like a glove.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 PM

216 posts, read 580,037 times
Hmmm... I live just north of Polson and was considering going to the Indian college down there. I think I just reconsidered.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 AM

The Salish and Kootenai college is in Pablo, and I don't know what Pablo is like since I'm never there. How are you liking Bigfork?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana