Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 03:30 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knm8689 View Post
MTSilvertip. From your statement it seems to me that most people are willing to give others a chance but you still have to prove yourself as a hard working person of the community which is understandable. Like I said, my Husband has been applying for jobs for BNSF and we've already discussed that we won't make the move unless he definitely has a position with them. We aren't looking to move there to try and change the way of living for people out there. It's a different state, heck a different world all in itself and that's what makes it so unique and inviting. And I think it's safe to say that we are on the same level when it comes to bums, carpetbaggers, know-it-alls, the terminally unsatisfied, the welfare cheats and parasites. Kind of the reason why we are looking to move. It's seems everywhere you look here, Maryland, that's all you see/hear. And I gotcha on the Rocky Mountain oysters. Unfortunately my Mother tricked my younger brother and I into trying them when we made a trip to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone one year. Not to bad for something so gross! haha. Then again I highly doubt I will EVER be eating them again!! Thank you so much for all of your insight. It really helps us to make our decision. And who knows, if it does work out and we make the move we just may end up as friends.
I always like meeting new friends,

My Grandfather worked for Burlington Northern for over 30 years, My father worked there for nearly 20 until the shops left Livingston.

You will probably be looking at Billings/Laurel, Glasgow or Havre for jobs on the rail line. Billings/Laurel is the largest metro area in Montana, so there are quite a few jobs outside the railroad, Glasgow is kind of isolated on the eastern hi-line, but it is one of those small towns you love or hate, personally, I love it , but it has changed quite a bit with the Bakken Oil field boom.
Havre is north of Great Falls, magnificent high praries, lots of wildlife, lots of room, and Great Falls isn't that far away for shopping.

You sound like you would fit right in here, so don't let the naysayers bring you down. You make your own luck and opportunities. There are a lot of good people who live here, and would be happy to have other good folks as their neighbors.
If this is something you want, and are willing to work for, you should have no problems at all.

The Rocky Mountain oysters gag is one that is played on lots of folks, don't feel alone in that. Some folks consider it a delicacy, I am not one of them however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Yep

Old 01-15-2013, 07:27 PM

12 posts, read 20,890 times
MTSilvertip. My Husband recently applied for jobs in Billings (which you mentioned) and Essex, MT in the track gang. Hopefully we hear back from them soon!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:44 PM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Pasadena MD huh? Well you better make damned sure you don't say just 'Pasadena', otherwise they'll think your'e from CA and they'll string u up from a tree.

I don't think folks here know about Eastern shore Marylanders. You're a good lot and should enjoy life out here. Just be willing to give up Stripers and flounder for walleye and trout. That was kinda tough for me. I miss the annual striper opening day out of Chesapeake Beach.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 AM

Threerun. Oh believe me. When I tell people Pasadena I make sure to emphasize the MD part. Yeah I can see it being tough giving up certain fishing. The hard part will be selling our jetski. We plan on keeping the boat but the jetski would be kind of pointless out there. And you could always make a trip back here. Chesapeake Beach is still a blast to go too.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,578,245 times
Quote:
The hard part will be selling our jetski. We plan on keeping the boat but the jetski would be kind of pointless out there. And you could always make a trip back here. Chesapeake Beach is still a blast to go too.
Why give up your jetski? Yellowtail Reservoir isn't far from Billings, and Deadmans Basin, Yellow Water, Petrolia Lake and countless others are within easy commute and lots of folks jetski/waterski/boat here.
I heard one time, (don't know if it is fact or not), that Montana at one time had more boats/personal watercraft registered than Washington state did, and they have Peugot Sound and the Pacific Ocean to play in.

Just to the north of Billings, (OK, about 150 miles, close in Montana terms ) is Fort Peck lake on the Missouri River. One of the largest earthen dams in the world, and Ft Peck has over 1700 miles of beach/coast.
Flathead lake in the west is the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi River.

We aren't a desert here, and the opportunity for all kinds of water sports is available and utilized by lots of people all summer long and into the spring and fall before freeze up. The Yellowstone River runs right through Billings and Riverfront park is a great place to recreate.

You may find you really like whitewater rafting or kiyaking, floating a canoe on a lake or river, floating the rivers in tubes or rafts, there are some areas that have great snorkling and scuba opportunities because our water is so clear.

Take a look around and see what we have here. It isn't the same as MD, no salt water for example, but we have different opportunities as well, you may find you like paddlefishing as well as your stripers, or fishing a high mountain lake for greyling, or hitting Kokanee salmon during their runs, ice fishing for northern pike is a blast too.

Opportunities are yours to take advantage of.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:51 PM

Wow. I didn't realize there were so many places you could jet ski. Definitely something to think about. I've been whitewater rafting before and it was a blast each time I went. I could definitely get into some Mountain fishing. Something we really don't have in MD.

One other question. How is the area around Essesx, MT? My Husband put in for job there and we're just curious.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 PM

159 posts, read 442,747 times
Quote:
Wow. I didn't realize there were so many places you could jet ski. Definitely something to think about. I've been whitewater rafting before and it was a blast each time I went. I could definitely get into some Mountain fishing. Something we really don't have in MD.

One other question. How is the area around Essesx, MT? My Husband put in for job there and we're just curious.
Essex, MT has a year round population of under 50, but its in the most beautiful part of the state. If you want to live more similar to Maryland and don't care about being near mountains you would like Billings.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 PM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Essex is gorgeous (and NOT to be confused with Essex MD, lol). I hope you like snow, and LOTS OF IT, lol..

Old 01-17-2013, 07:02 PM

64 posts, read 125,666 times
I moved to the Bozeman area from Northern PA last year. I did not find the acclimation process that difficult. If you come from the Northern part of the country, understand cold/snow and have a little bit of blue collar mentality, willing to help, people will like you and respect you. People in SW seem more turned off by folks from Cali, the "desert" and the Dakota's for some reason.

The one thing I found is they do not like people who are overly opinionated. Growing up not too far from NYC and Philly I naturally have a little over stressed, over zealousness in me. If you're like that and aren't willing to pipe down a little you might be in trouble.

Last edited by TUowl06; 01-17-2013 at 07:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana