U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:39 AM

49 posts, read 86,412 times

Advertisements

Cherries surprise me. We have some trees planted here and seldom get good enough weather for a crop. We get late enough frosts in the spring that the blossoms rarely stand a chance.
I assume that the dry weather affects what can be grown there too. Glad to hear that potatoes are possible...they're one of our basic staples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,573,494 times
Flathead cherries are some of the best I've ever had....

Old 10-26-2007, 01:38 PM

7,544 posts, read 12,618,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I don't know if we've had any home invasions yet.
There were some home invasions in Billings back around 1980 that I heard about. Don't know about before or since. Judging by what happened in SoCal, it seems to be the Hip New Thing for local gangs for a while, then peters out (probably because everyone invests in better doors and locks).

As to cherries, what everyone else said. Flathead cherries are so much better than what you can get elsewhere, you just won't want to ever eat any other cherries again.

Other fruit trees grow in MT too. Chokecherries grow wild and are good for jelly. There are plums and apples here and there (beer apples make great jelly, even if they're not really edible as is -- they're usually seen as rootstock that comes back after the grafted top dies) and in Bozeman there was an apricot and believe it or not a LEMON tree that were both good producers.

I'd bet some varieties of peach would grow in MT if they were own-root (in oranges, own-root trees are far less likely to winterkill than grafted trees)... wild peaches are deadly tough trees, they grow in the desert here, as do pomegranates -- if the root was protected in winter (or planted in a barrel and garaged for the winter) they might survive in MT too. It gets to -10F here, not near as cold as MT but enough to kill fragile trees, so I'd guess what survives here has some chance there.

Last edited by Reziac; 10-26-2007 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 10-26-2007, 07:09 PM

62 posts, read 452,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beesweet View Post
We generally grow a lot of potatoes and beets.
Root crops, onions, beets, potatoes, carrots do well. Even brocolli, cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce, corn dependent on water. Beans like it here and tomatoes if planted next to a protective wall, preferably white enjoy smog free sunlight. The potatoes and carrots may look strange if you don't have a nice loomy soil.
Whitehall had a killer frost this September. My brother lost a lot of his garden this spring with a late frost. He had to replant in late June.

But boy did we have a growing season for wheat this year. We in Eastern Montana/South Central were spared most of the hail and we had plenty of spring moisture. Hay crop was good, too. I guess north of Lewistown and the sorts had major hail damage.

I had a volunteer pumpkin plant from pumpkin chunkin last fall. It made enough jack-o-lanterns for two grandchildren and one godchild and smaller ones for decorating tables. Now that's moisture!

Regarding your message title...Less Stress...I found since retiring stress is made by the person....and by debt. Get outa debt. That to me leads more people to stress than even living next to a rapper band...well, maybe not.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:57 AM

Thanks for all the information on what plants grow out there. I wasn't sure what crops would work with the weather. It's good to know that most of the veggies that I'm interested in would work. The cherries still surprise me! When exactly is the season for cherries out there?
The stress that I'm experiencing isn't so much from debt...other than the usual monthly bills, we live within out budget. Debt can be a major stressor and we're trying to avoid it. Every year the taxes here go up, and it's more and more difficult to hold onto what we have. We're self employed - in agriculture. The "progress" that our area is experiencing makes it more and more difficult for anyone in agriculture to stay out of debt. The local politicians see more revenue in a recreational area than what they'd receive from an agricultural area. Time and time again the local farms have been broken up and sold out as small building lots. I hear that sentiment echoed on this forum frequently and hoped that it hadn't gotten out of hand out there like it has here. I was hoping that the weather out there would be a factor that would discourage some of the yuppie growth. With the rising cost of heating...maybe it will have an effect on Montana's future.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:11 PM

Well, if we could just get another winter like '96 again! You couldn't find a moving truck anywhere in the flathead for any amount of money. As for cherries they come on the market about the second week of August. The flathead cherries don't cause the "indigestion" that eating too many other cherries can cause and the taste is GREAT.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:27 AM

ok jim...now you have me wondering what the winter of '96 was like - I can't even remember what last winter was like here! Were the temperatures extremely low, snow extremely deep? A few years ago on Christmas day we really got socked in with snow and it was surprising how many people found themselves stranded somewhere just because they didn't use a little common sense. We are considering a trip out there sometime in February to get a taste of the winter, but hopefully we'll make it back out there in August so that we can taste those wonderful cherries!

Old 10-29-2007, 08:38 AM

Well, let me put it this way, there was so much snow that our city (and a subdivision) had to hire trucks to haul it away and dump it in the river. The wind was a constant as well. Our uncle was building his house at the time and living in a camper. The camper had a propane heater and they had down sleeping bags and STILL had to sleep in their insulated Carharts to stay warm. One morning they got up and got ready to go to the store and the snow was so deep that their plow wouldn't touch it so they went to the neighbors house (having to just step across several waist high fences that were buried) to get his buldozer. The 'dozer got stuck so many times it took them most of the day to plow out enough road to leave.
Quite a few new transplants to the valley decided this wasn't the place for them hence the shortage of moving trucks and trailers.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:18 AM

It sounds just like the weather here! When we were younger and more foolish than we are now, we lived in a house trailer in PA. I can remember a winter here that was similar to the winter that you're describing in '96. Deep snow and the temperatures dropped so low that we kept a hair dryer next to the door. The frost went completely around it and actually froze us in the trailer - hence we used the hair dryer to get out...and only one of us left at a time, so that when need be the other could open the door with the hair dryer!
So I have an idea of what your uncle experienced, fortunately the furnace in the trailer somehow kept going so that we didn't have to find refuge anywhere else. We had a few nights of having to restart the furnace every couple of hours and had sense (or luck?) to have enough fuel in the tank to run the furnace. I've been worrying about whether I'm prepared for Montana winters, but I'm starting to feel a little better now. They may be worse than winters are here, but at least we've had some preparation with what we get here.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:30 PM

Bee, the reason people talk about the winter of '96 is that it has not happend since. It's been very mild by MT standards but you just never really know what's going to happen. As long as you're prepared you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana