Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 PM

122 posts, read 573,049 times

Advertisements

The reported average statistics for Billings weather during the winter, are very similar to those of Denver, with one exception; Billings typically has more frequent, longer duration and more intense arctic air infiltration episodes. Whereas Denver may only get down to -10F for a few days, during the same storm episode Billings would likely be -15F to -20F for a week. This is not surprising, to anyone I'm sure. Billings has to pay some price for being located at a further north latitude.

HOWEVER...

I have noticed that although the NOAA National Weather Service office in Billings is located next to the river, apparently their equipment is located at the airport. The Yellowstone River has an elevation of about 3080 feet in Billings, and the Airport is nearly 3200 feet. This has the potential to exaggerate the mildness of Billings winter weather for those that do not live on the rimrock where the airport is located.

Can any "weather experienced" locals tell me if the temps in the river valley are anywhere close to the temps on the rimrock? I guesstimate the temps in the valley to be actually 10-15F lower or higher depending on the circumstances. Or, is there thermal inversion processes occurring in the valley, and Billings actually does have this "banana belt" type weather.

It is kind of hard to believe that the reported statistics are true, given that Billings is as warm as towns 400-500 miles further south (as the crow flies,) meanwhile towns right by Billings, like the Miles City to Baker area are 10F to 15F COLDER on average during any given winter day.

Any knowledgeable insights for this discussion? Your reply is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,071 times
Airport is about 3500 or little more, if the altimeter on my airplane is correct. Winters here are pretty mild, considering our latitude. Naturally, we get a couple of horridly cold days, and snow a few times, but nothing like I remember over in the western part of the state. Of course, I've lived in Montana for about 50 years, so my frame of reference might be skewed. The past several days here I've been going outside in my shirtsleeves.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
Airport is about 3500 or little more, if the altimeter on my airplane is correct. Winters here are pretty mild, considering our latitude. Naturally, we get a couple of horridly cold days, and snow a few times, but nothing like I remember over in the western part of the state. Of course, I've lived in Montana for about 50 years, so my frame of reference might be skewed. The past several days here I've been going outside in my shirtsleeves.
Hey, you are right. My info was bad. Actual airport elevation is 3652'. AND, after looking at the NWS office from satellite, I see they DO IN FACT have the equipment there on site at 2170 Overland Avenue. (Which is probably 3199 feet.)

My bad! However, this begs the question... Is this unusually warm pocket only occurring in the valley below the rimrock? Is the area above 3500 feet much cooler, as well as rural areas 30-50 miles outside of Billings?

("shirt sleeve" measurements of weather are not exactly what I was looking for, but thanks.)

Old 02-08-2013, 02:33 PM

Just crunched some numbers...

Profile of rural areas outside of Billings:
For every 500 feet of elevation to the west, subtract about 3-3.5F degrees from the springtime average daily mean.
For every 1000 feet "" subtract 6-7F degrees.

For every 50 miles east or north (similar elevations,) subtract about 3-3.5F degrees from the springtime average daily mean.
For every 100 miles "" subtract 6-7F degrees.

So, for those wondering about Billings area weather as it applies to agriculture/horticulture:
Every 1000 feet OR 100 miles out of the area = subtract about half a USDA Plant Hardiness zone
(ex: 4b for Billings, 4a for areas +1000' or +100mi)
Every 1000 feet OR 100 miles out of the area = about one whole American Horticultural Society Heat Zone ranking
(ex: 6 for Billings, 5 for areas +1000' or +100mi. Zone 4 for both +1000'/+100miles.)

Of course, this is only good for the immediate Billings area. Too far west and the mountains make this not applicable, as well as to the East, the rate of cooler temps levels off until you reach the abyss that is known as North Dakota (much colder.)

Old 02-08-2013, 04:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,755,923 times
I have lived in both the Denver area, and the Billings area. The difference between the two cites is not much. Open the below links in two windows, and switch back and forth to compare.

Climate Information for Billings*-*Montana*-*Rocky Mountains*-*United States*-*Climate Zone

Climate Information for Denver*-*Colorado*-*Rocky Mountains*-*United States*-*Climate Zone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana