U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,877 times

Advertisements

I am looking at moving to the anaconda area. I have looked at the other posts, and at the city-data sites for it, so I know the stats, but here are some other questions. How is it living there? How easy is it to find a job(any job)? Is a commute to Butte reasonable, it didn't seem to bad, but I have only driven it in the fall. Any information from someone living there would be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 AM

297 posts, read 669,002 times
I do not live there but know the area. Anaconda, while rich in history, is a dying, dying town. Schools and churches and businesses are becoming boarded up and houses are sitting empty. Its economy is very bad and the only bright spot (which admittedly I say as a visitor, not a resident) is the Old Works Golf Course.

Commuting to Butte, which is not thriving economically either, would be terrible and long in the winter. Please do NOT move there UNLESS you have a good job lined up in advance. I don't mean to slam Anaconda. I love Montana history and Victorian-era architecture, and visiting the town for a day was very interesting.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,877 times
Thanks MontanaGyrl. I got the same impression, was hoping somebody could tell me otherwise though as I do like the area. Do you have any experience in Philipsburg? Although substantially smaller it seems to be doing very well.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:21 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,539,172 times
Someone needs to go look at today's Montana Standard and take a look at the money that was spent on rehabing business's on Park Street. Sure its not a ton of money but they are trying to improve. The interstate does get slick in the winter but the crews keep it in pretty good shape. Phillipsburg is more of a Touristry town and has some jobs possibly BUT instead of sitting behind a computer you need to take a drive and do a face to face with business owners in your trade.
When we had concrete work done, the most highly skilled came out of Phillipsburg and made trips back and forth from our place south of town. That is a commute of over 40 miles each way for several days. For the well drilling the local venders were unwilling to do work up on the mountain so we had to source one way up on I-15 North of I-90. The local electrician traveled the state doing electrical work. So my point is not much work for those trades and they have to be flexible. Butte of course is larger and has plenty of Business which may have what you require. So don't get discouraged as its a great area of the state

Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,573,722 times
Anaconda, Philipsburg and Butte are all communities that you should have a firm job already secured there before you move there. Very interesting communities, yes, lots of history, but the towns are losing people and the economy is down.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:56 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,068,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness is View Post
Anaconda, Philipsburg and Butte are all communities that you should have a firm job already secured there before you move there. Very interesting communities, yes, lots of history, but the towns are losing people and the economy is down.
Isn't that true of any MT town with a population of under 25k?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,727,414 times
If I had a job I would move to Anaconda in a heartbeat. Phillipsberg too.

Really, I would not move here unless you have decent skills to get a job or have family here.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:36 PM

4,750 posts, read 4,032,774 times
Shminkey- Anaconda & Butte are in some respects closed communities. Because they are old company towns without the company, when times were tough they stuck together to survive. If you are not from there or married to someone "from there", you will be likely be overlooked for better jobs, promotions, etc.

Hamilton, Lewistown, Livingston, Dillon, all have small town atmosphere with more diverse economies. Look for towns with all these---strong medical community, college, ag base, tourist-recreation base, & an extractive base. If you are interested in farther North both Havre & Glendive are vital towns.

Unless you are retiring it is better to find the job you love than the perfect place.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:00 PM

4,230 posts, read 2,514,792 times
As prebiously stated, you better have a job lined up to move to Anaconda. It's extremly run-down. There is virtually no economy. Job prospects may be better in Butte but it is also run-down and depressed. I spent 5 years in Butte and I couldn't wait to get out. The people are great though. The drive from Anaconda to Butte is reasonable. I knew plenty of people who did it (they needed to because there are no jobs in Anaconda).

Philipsburg is nice and pretty and all but I would'nt trust the economy there either. Plus it's not reasonable to commute anywhere from Pburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana