Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:04 PM

36 posts, read 169,325 times

Advertisements

I've not posted for quite some time as I've been continuing to search for our next home before we move. I had thought we'd settle in Bozeman but it has proven to be too high in elevation for my son (we need to stay at around 4,000 or below for health reasons) and too expensive for a small farm. Ten acres with house, etc. Although we would have rented initially before purchasing the cost of real estate is prohibitively expensive for us and the elevation just too high. Although the community itself sounds amazing.

We looked at the Pacific Northwest and the dreary weather would be the death knell for me. I need a great deal of sunshine in order to function. While we did live in Billings for a few years now 15 to 20 years ago I would not want to return. The town is not terribly interesting save for some amazing restaurants and the surrounding countryside is not much to look at compared to Bozeman/Livingston/Big Timber.

After looking at the Pacific Northwest and reading about the dreadful influx of heroin into even the smallest communities, middle schools and high schools not excluded, I have become so fearful and worried about our next move. We are currently homeschoolers but would like my son to eventually attend school. The prevalence of heroin in even the squeaky clean communities of Seattle and others is alarming. I recently read of Kalispell middle school students selling heroin. I could really use some salt of the earth advice and thoughts from the good and grounded people of this forum. I have been so upset by this and although I do not fear my child would get involved with that mess I would not want my child to attend a school where heroin is being bought, sold and used.

As homeschoolers we are quite sheltered from this type of thing and yet not ignorant of it's existence. I understand the issue of education and the Just Say No to Drugs, etc. but this is a different egg altogether according to a law enforcement friend of mine. Crime goes way up in the presence of heroin. In some of those tiny towns home invasions have risen 600% after the intro of heroin into the community. Billings is also having a large heroin problem. When we left, Meth was rampant and the statewide media campaign proved very effective at reducing and even eliminating the meth problem in Montana. Still there but nothing like ten years ago.

After researching other areas I continue to look at Montana. I would love to come "home". I just don't know where that new "home" town is located. Bozeman too high. Livingston too windy. Schools seem not to have best rep. Missoula too dreary with that PNW type weather and property very expensive.

What about Big Timber??? Half way btw Bozeman and Livingston. But tiny. 1600 + people. Probably far too small but my love of rural Montana won't let me face that. I realize my son probably needs a larger town with more to do. High School looks very nice. Looks new. Rated a "9" on Great Schools website. Many parcels of land with house which are very affordable. And gorgeous landscapes. Years ago I helped a friend deliver some quarter horses to Tom Brokaw's wife and the wind was clocking out of the NW at who knows what speed and the trailer door swung around and nearly knocked me out.

With that in mind could we have a frank discussion about the wind in Big Timber? Is it less than or the same as Livingston? I consider Livingston cyclonic and that day at Tom Brokaw's place was right up there on the wind scale. In Billings the Rimrocks seem to protect the town from wind. Outside of town however it can be brutal.

MtSilvertip, and I love your posts, you posted this about the wind:

"Snow in Big Timber isn't the problem, the speed of the snow in Big Timber can be. Winter before last the wind blew at over 70 MPH for over a week and piled the snow over the tops of houses, cars, woodpiles, made travel really treacherous, and had repercussions all the way until spring when it finally melted.

You may hear people joke about Big Timber that if the wind stops they all fall down, or a Big Timber wind gage is a log chain with one end nailed to the top of a fence post. When the end links start popping off like a whip cracking, there is a stiff breeze out there

Jokes aside, the wind is a definite factor if you plan on looking at the Upper Yellowstone as a place to live as it is a constant element. The wind may blow, or blast, be a gentle breeze or a force that carries away your home, but it is always there."

I am not a lover of wind. Or even cold for that matter. We don't snowmobile or ice fish or ski. We don't ski jore. What we do love is hiking with our dogs and riding horses. There is nothing on earth liking riding in Montana with one's dogs trailing alongside. That is the life! I miss it so much.

My child is recovering from a very serious illness and we are very fearful of mosquitoes carrying West Nile and ticks carrying whatever it is they are carrying. Any experience with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever? RMSF is now much less common in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho than it once was and seems more common in the southeastern US.

We would love to winter further south but Valley Fever cases numbering in the tens of thousands have caused us to steer clear of Arizona, CA, NM, etc. After hearing of a friend's fight with Valley Fever that is not something I ever want my family to endure. While I know there is no perfect place, that every place has it's dangers. The planet is changing and as it warms we are seeing mosquitoes and ticks and the diseases they carry spread into northern latitudes in places they've never been seen. Dengue is now being found in the south of France, southern Spain and Greece, etc. Valley Fever is being increasingly found north of it's expected range, etc. West Nile has made it's way into Canada. It seems winters are becoming colder in the northern lats. One woman in Washington said she hadn't been warm in four years adding that the winters were getting colder. Winters getting colder, summers getting hotter, more bugs, fires, etc. The bugs are expanding their range. Mosquitoes are becoming a nightmarish problem in regions of the country that have never had a mosquito problem. Hikers in Montana are now finding that their pets have been infected with Lyme Disease. Many say it's not in Montana but more than a few vets would disagree.

MtSilvertip, what more can you share about Big Timber. I've read all of your posts on the subject. Are there any less windy spots? Lower elevation even than the town itself? Is north of town better than south of town?

Sunshine in Big Timber??

More than Bozeman? Same as Billings? I've read some poster's comments saying Billings is often overcast. It rarely was when we were there and I wonder if this is yet another aspect that is changing. The skies were almost always blue blue blue. That Big Sky blue for which Montana is known. It helped me so much to endure the cold winters. As long as the sun was shining and the sky was blue I could handle it.

Could someone compare Bozeman weather to Big Timber weather and Big Timber to Billings?

Ticks? Fleas? Mosquitoes in Big Timber area? Three Forks can turn into a mosquito nightmare. Is Big Timber similar?

Rattlesnakes? Have seen many riding south of Billings. Are they really as bad as some of the posters say? What is it about Big Timber that makes it ideal rattlesnake habitat. My worry would be for our dogs although I do know about the rattlesnake vaccine.

Fires around Big Timber in summer??

We are heading north in a few weeks and I am becoming very anxious about where to go to put down roots. I would appreciate any advice or thoughts.

Looking at Big Timber weather for the next ten days shows wind at 10,16, 17, 21 mph. I consider anything above 5 mph to be windy. Any sheltered locations for property, etc.? Is summer less windy than winter?

Sorry for the long post. I really would appreciate some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 10:13 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Hello Longing;

Big Timber is a great little town, great people, good access to hunting and fishing and hiking. The Absaroka-Beartooth wilderness is just south of town, the Yellowstone River runs right alongside town to the north, the Main Boulder River confluances with the Yellowstone on the east side of town.

Mosquitoes aren't a real concern around most of town, Ticks can be a problem anywhere in the mountains especially in the spring, but I wouldn't worry so much about Lyme Disesase as it is mostly carried by Deer Ticks. The ones in Montana mostly can give you Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, but if you wear long pants, high socks and high boots and check when you get back from a hike, they aren't a real worry.
If you avoid areas where you are pushing through high grass or bushes, (ticks hang on the blades of grass or bushes and grab on when something goes past), You shouldn't have any real problem with them. The worst place I ever saw for ticks was Chinook. I had 8 ticks on my after a 2 hour hike one time. None attached, so no big deal.

The praries of Montana are prime habitat for Rattlesnakes, they can be found anywhere where there are rocks or warm places and food sources like mice and gophers.
My father hates them. But he has a flock of peacocks that see rattlesnakes as a delicacy. in the 15 years he has lived there, he saw one just outside the area his flock patrol. So that problem can be handled.

Big Timber was actually tied with Gardiner to be rated the #2 schools in the state for scholasitic excellence right behind Manhattan Christian last year. My niece and nephews have attended the BIg Timber schools and went to national finals with the science olympiad 2 years.
The teachers and parent involvement in the schools is hard to imagine if you haven't been involved in them.

Drugs are not a real issue in Big Timber, with the exception of alcohol and tobacco as there are kids that use snuff, and beer, which in my opinion is still far better than Meth or heroin.

As to the wind, it is a constant factor and must be considered. There are places that are sheltered from the wind, but that is on a case by case basis. It can be every bit as bad as Livingston. That said, the wind is the primary reason that mosquitos and biting flies aren't a real concern, they get blown away.

The air because of the wind is usually the cleanest you will ever find anywhere. Normally the snowpack isn't that bad, and the skies are usually clear. It can get cold, but usually doesn't stay that way for long. I was down at my folk's place in January and while it got down to -20 for 2 nights, it warmed back up to above 0 within the week.

Personally, I love Big Timber as a place to raise kids or just enjoy life in Montana.

If the wind bothers you, (most of Montana has wind issues including Three Forks), you might look at towns like Fishtail or Red Lodge. They are more expensive, get more snow and elevation might be an issue. If above 5 MPH winds are a concern for you, Big Timber may not be your place.

Columbus may be a good mid-way for you. It has a lot of the benefits of Big Timber without quite as much wind. It is closer to Billings, but far enough away so you aren't in it's shadow.

One thing you might consider is that Big Timber is a fairly conservative place. While there was a large influx of people after that stupid movie, "Hoarse Whisperer" came out, and there are a lot of "Celebrities" that bought south of town like Brokaw, most of the locals see AGW and other pushbutton issues like that as pure bunk. Seattle squeeky clean? I wouldn't say that so you may encounter some culture shock as well.

Good Luck

Old 03-09-2013, 01:38 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Big Timber is a nice little town with great people. I've never met an unfriendly person from Big Timber and they all seem to be very genuine people. Although there are celebrities around there like Brokaw (who has been there for over 20 years) most celebrities are there to get away from Hollywood and really don't make a big deal when they are in town. They are also looking to get away. By the way, Big Timber isn't "halfway" between Bozeman and Livingston. It's about 35 miles from Livingston which makes it around 60 miles from Bozeman.

From what I understand the schools are pretty good. Everyone I know who went to school there speaks pretty highly of the school systems.

As far as weather goes, wind is pretty bad between there and Livingston. I'm not sure what areas might have less wind but it is a factor there.

Where critters are concerned, mosquitoes aren't a real bad problem there. You might run into ticks on the riverbanks but just make sure you check for them when you get home. If none have attached you'll be fine. I've never seen rattlesnakes there but I'm sure they are around. Just make sure you don't reach into places you can't see and watch your step. I guess rattlesnakes are something I've never worried about. Or you could get some peacocks like MTSilvertip mentioned. I never knew they ate snakes.

If you're considering small towns consider Columbus as well. I've always liked that little town, although having never lived there I can't say a lot about the town.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:13 PM

324 posts, read 714,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post

If you're considering small towns consider Columbus as well. I've always liked that little town, although having never lived there I can't say a lot about the town.
You're ok if upwind in Columbus

Old 03-09-2013, 03:23 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
I agree the people that I have met in Big Timber have been very nice.

It is a rare day when the wind is not blowing there. We regularly stop at the Fort for fuel & sandwiches. You must be certain to not open doors on both sides of vehicle at same rime or any loose papers will become airborne.

If you are into guns the gun shop inside is worth the stop.

Ticks tend to be plentiful in good grass years. If you put drops on your dogs & tick collars, it will keep them away. Keep your yard grass cut short. There are yard treatments that supposedly can help. There are also yard snake repellent pellets. I have not used them. As the summer gets hotter and drier the ticks seem to disappear. Peacocks & guineas both patrol snakes as do pigs. Mosquitoes and the like hang where there is standing water and tall wet grass.
I would be more concerned about Hanta virus from mice around old buildings & granaries than anything you mentioned. If you remodel or clean out anything hose down the dust and scoop it out rather than broom it out while wearing a mask. And keep cats for mice patrol to prevent future infestations.
Drugs of one kind and other are everywhere. Alcohol abuse is Montana's biggest problem.
Did you consider Thompson Falls?

Old 03-09-2013, 03:55 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I agree the people that I have met in Big Timber have been very nice.

It is a rare day when the wind is not blowing there. We regularly stop at the Fort for fuel & sandwiches. You must be certain to not open doors on both sides of vehicle at same rime or any loose papers will become airborne.

If you are into guns the gun shop inside is worth the stop.

Ticks tend to be plentiful in good grass years. If you put drops on your dogs & tick collars, it will keep them away. Keep your yard grass cut short. There are yard treatments that supposedly can help. There are also yard snake repellent pellets. I have not used them. As the summer gets hotter and drier the ticks seem to disappear. Peacocks & guineas both patrol snakes as do pigs. Mosquitoes and the like hang where there is standing water and tall wet grass.
I would be more concerned about Hanta virus from mice around old buildings & granaries than anything you mentioned. If you remodel or clean out anything hose down the dust and scoop it out rather than broom it out while wearing a mask. And keep cats for mice patrol to prevent future infestations.
Drugs of one kind and other are everywhere. Alcohol abuse is Montana's biggest problem.
Did you consider Thompson Falls?
Smart thinking mentioning hantavirus with mice around. As I understand it deer mice are some of the biggest carriers and there are plenty of deer mice all over Montana.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:09 PM

Thank you all for your responses.

Wind aside, and I do realize I must give it serious consideration, the more I research Big Timber the more I like it. The high school seems perfect for my son. Approx 200 kids. Great extracurricular programs. Trips to Europe, Costa Rica, Science Olympiad as you mentioned MtSilvertip, so many other great programs. I wonder if they have a computer science program or classes. It really seems like a great group of kids. The size of Bozeman high seemed to intimidate my son a little and the size of this school is perfect. The teachers at Sweet Grass High seem very dedicated and well liked. That too is encouraging.

I'm not sure how the thread veered off to include talk of celebrities. I merely mentioned dropping some quarter horses off at Tom Brokaw's (wife) place years ago and nearly getting knocked out by the trailer door whipping around in the wind. That was my only experience with Big Timber as well as it's wind. Insofar as Redford's movie, even he thought it was terrible which must hurt quite a bit. I remember seeing an interview where Redford described the difficulties of making the movie in the Big Timber area and that the weather simply would not cooperate and how difficult it was with children and animals and schedules to keep. Welcome to Montana was all I could think of at that moment. I do remember the lovely scenery in the movie and of course Buck whom I love. I would love to take one of his classes as he regularly gives clinics throughout Montana and he is the real deal. Good man all the way around. He lives outside of Sheridan.

I kept my horses with a nice family on their ranch in Colombus. My horses had the time of their lives. Came to pick them up and there was my gelding leading a troop of several dozen yearling QH's across a mini mesa. He had no intention of leaving or being caught so I left them there for another two weeks until the cold forced them down. They roamed over thousands of acres out there. I had meant to say that Big Timber was half way btw Bozeman and Billings not Livingston. Sorry for the typo. We have family in the Billings area and a doctor in the Bozeman area lined up so to be half way in between would be ideal.

But the wind. Really need to research this a bit more. Is south of Big Timber better than north?

MtSilvertip, I hear you about the global warming issue. Heaven knows it is a controversial topic. However, while I have no idea whether there is actual warming or cooling, what we do know as an absolute certainty is that insects are expanding their ranges. This is a fact few can argue with in that every country in the world is reporting a similar phenomenon. Most entomologists blame it on warming and few can argue that an insects can expand it's range due to warming but warming can have the long term opposite consequence of cooling and I tend to lean toward that theory. I have a handful of climatologist friends and I enjoy listening to them throw around their thoughts on the subject. The take away seems to be that few know what the end result will be regarding the current changes we are seeing. Biologists are seeing catastrophic changes occurring and attribute it to warming but the planet has always been in a state of flux. Nothing is permanent. We panic because we are fearful of how those changes might affect us personally. How our lifestyles will change, etc. For my family we are fearful of how the insects and the diseases they carry will affect us or harm us. I think many weather patterns are cyclic. One climatologist is warning of a return to the arctic type winters of the 1970's for the northern US states. I am not well versed enough on the subject to have an opinion. I am one of those geeks who loves chatting about the weather so am always interested in hearing people, esp the old timers, talk about what the weather was like when they were younger and the changes, if any, they see now.

We tend not to have any political leanings so it does not matter to us whether a community or town is conservative or liberal. The wilderness does not care which way we lean and I don't believe God does either so I tend to use both as a general guide to life. We are artists and scientists and are interested in raising animals, dogs, learning to can food, learning to be better organic gardeners, etc. Would love to learn how to build a greenhouse. Hoping for healing for my child and for him to be included in the community. We loved our time in Montana and are so hoping to find the right town. Minus the wind I think BT might be it. Many have suggested that were it not for the wind Livingston and the Paradise Valley would be far more populated. Could this also apply to BT?

MtSilvertip, I meant to clarify about Seattle. I meant the bedroom communities of Seattle. Not Seattle proper. Sammamish etc. Seattle is def not squeaky clean. Speaking more literally it seems rather dingy and run down (and $$$) and did not appeal to us after much research hard as we tried. Not to mention the shootings and heroin. For a city it's size however it is very safe. Minus the shootings.

Speaking of animals, your posts on the Porch thread about Highland Cattle have really piqued our interest. We have literally read every single post you wrote on the subject and have printed them out and filed them away. We have wanted to get into cattle as I have worked with black angus, hereford and buffalo (forever mending fences, no thanks), the angus are not the smartest bovines on earth and nor are the herefords (forever dragging calves out during calving, what a nightmare). I had read about the Highland cattle many years ago and about the study done on them to determine their incredible parasite resistance. I then realized I might be able to accomplish the same with my horses. Low and behold I did and never touched them with a chem wormer ever again. Once we arrive in Montana we may just look you up and have you hook us up with a small herd of these incredible animals. Would that be possible? After reading your posts we are sold that this would be the breed for us. We have been researching heritage breeds for a while now and it makes far more sense but nothing we read described them in quite the way you did in your posts. . Your writings are so interesting! The hardy breeds, the disease resistance, you wonder how we strayed in the first place. Your mention of peacocks, well, we have wanted to raise peacocks for about two decades. I did not realize you could do so in such a cold climate as they are from tropical India. Guineas are from Africa but seem to fare well in the cold as long as they have heated shelter. Many dislike the call of the Peacock but I love it. It reminds me of the tiger documentaries filmed in India with the sounds of the peacocks calling in the distance. That would be so strange to hear that sound on the Montana prairie.

Hanta virus. That is an illness I am familiar with though thankfully not personally. I guess Montana now has more cases than any other state. I first learned about it when there were cases on the Navajo rez. It was through the sand painting ceremony of the Navajo elders that they finally learned that it was caused by the droppings of the deer mice. Members of the CDC were present at the ceremony. There was a documentary about this and it really was fascinating. Not so much for the people who lost their lives or were sickened however. But thankfully they found the cause and as you described, historyfan, how to avoid infection.

One of the benefits of the wind in Big Timber would in fact be to keep the mozzies at bay. If that were the case and of course it is I would suit up and learn to deal with the wind. However for most of the year in BT the mozzies are not an issue due to the cold. The ticks and the diseases they carry are a issue however. I have never seen a tick on any of my horses. Have any of you ever seen a tick on your horses? MtSilvertip, what about the Highlanders and their fuzzy coats. They look like tick heaven with those coats. What is your experience with ticks and these cattle. By the way, what does the milk taste like? Regular cow's milk?

Is the BT wind worse in winter than summer? Is there a time during the year when it is at it's worst? Is it really as bad as Livingston??? Really?

Thank you all for your responses. They are very helpful.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:33 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longing4bigsky View Post
Thank you all for your responses.

But the wind. Really need to research this a bit more. Is south of Big Timber better than north?

Many have suggested that were it not for the wind Livingston and the Paradise Valley would be far more populated. Could this also apply to BT?

Speaking of animals, your posts on the Porch thread about Highland Cattle have really piqued our interest. We have literally read every single post you wrote on the subject and have printed them out and filed them away. We have wanted to get into cattle as I have worked with black angus, hereford and buffalo (forever mending fences, no thanks), the angus are not the smartest bovines on earth and nor are the herefords (forever dragging calves out during calving, what a nightmare). I had read about the Highland cattle many years ago and about the study done on them to determine their incredible parasite resistance. I then realized I might be able to accomplish the same with my horses. Low and behold I did and never touched them with a chem wormer ever again. Once we arrive in Montana we may just look you up and have you hook us up with a small herd of these incredible animals. Would that be possible? After reading your posts we are sold that this would be the breed for us. We have been researching heritage breeds for a while now and it makes far more sense but nothing we read described them in quite the way you did in your posts. . Your writings are so interesting! The hardy breeds, the disease resistance, you wonder how we strayed in the first place. Your mention of peacocks, well, we have wanted to raise peacocks for about two decades. I did not realize you could do so in such a cold climate as they are from tropical India. Guineas are from Africa but seem to fare well in the cold as long as they have heated shelter. Many dislike the call of the Peacock but I love it. It reminds me of the tiger documentaries filmed in India with the sounds of the peacocks calling in the distance. That would be so strange to hear that sound on the Montana prairie.

One of the benefits of the wind in Big Timber would in fact be to keep the mozzies at bay. If that were the case and of course it is I would suit up and learn to deal with the wind. However for most of the year in BT the mozzies are not an issue due to the cold. The ticks and the diseases they carry are a issue however. I have never seen a tick on any of my horses. Have any of you ever seen a tick on your horses? MtSilvertip, what about the Highlanders and their fuzzy coats. They look like tick heaven with those coats. What is your experience with ticks and these cattle. By the way, what does the milk taste like? Regular cow's milk?

Is the BT wind worse in winter than summer? Is there a time during the year when it is at it's worst? Is it really as bad as Livingston??? Really?

Thank you all for your responses. They are very helpful.
Sniped for bevity

OK, The main reason there aren't more people buying south of Livingston is the price of the land and the fact the church universal bought up a lot of the land that probably would have gone to development. Add to that the fact there are very few good paying jobs to pay for the land, and the sometimes severe winters and you have an area that is great to visit, tough to live in.

South of Big Timber, it depends on where you are as to the wind. In the mountains the wind isn't as bad, but can still come whooping down the draws when it wants to.
It really depends on the location of the specific place as to how sheltered it is.

North of Big Timber is more exposed and does get some really stiff breezes from time to time, but again, if you are in a sheltered place it isn't that bad.

On to the Highlanders.

We have a small herd, they are fantasic animals that we really enjoy. Highly intelligent, they take care of themselves. We have never had to pull a Scotty calf.
The milk is pretty much just cows milk, not as much butterfat as some breeds have, but the taste is fine. We have a team of them trained as oxen and my father wants to break one to ride now.
The meat is exceptional, some of the best in the world. The royal family of Great Britian keeps a herd at Balmoral for their meat needs.
Very low in cholesterol and saturated fats, leaner than most production breeds, it is tender and extremely flavorful.

As to parasites, that hair really protects them from most biting flies with the exception of horn flies.
We have never found a tick on one of them, but that doesn't mean they could'nt be there, but we have never had any problem with them.
There are several reputable breeders in the state, and they are gaining in popularity so finding some good animals wouldn't be difficult, and I would be happy to help if I could.

I am trying to find a bull right now for our small herd. Lots of them out there, just finding the right bull, (temprament, confirmation, price), is always something I take very seriously. My father is in his 70's and as he is always playing with them, I don't want any agressive animals.

The herd we have now come from the farthest reaches of the place when he calls, eat alfalfa cubes right out of your hand, love to be scratched behind the ears and are completely gentle with us, and I want to maintain that characteristic.

That said, they know how to use those horns and really protect the calves from wolves and other preditors.
Be careful bringing your dogs around the herd until they know each other. Those cows don't play around with any percived threat to their calves.

They are a funny animal. When they calve they will go out and hide, and then hide the calf until it is strong enough to keep up with the herd. You won't even see the calf except for occasional glimpses until it is about 2 weeks old.
They have kept a lot of the wild characteristics of their anchient Bos ancestors.

Dad didn't plan on rasing peacocks, in fact they are supposed to be difficult to get to reproduce, but he just lets the flock run wild. They roost in the barn, the hens raise the chicks and he has about 20 of them running around now.
They are real watchdogs too and will let you know if there is anything strange around the place. They will scream "HELP" as a warning. They are really noisy in the spring around mating season, the males will get on a high point, (including the roof of the house) and scream to attract the hens.

A greenhouse in Montana is a good idea because of our short growing seasons. Big Timber is more temperate than a lot of places, but the wind can damage your crops so that is something to consider too.

Good Luck

Old 03-10-2013, 12:57 PM

34 posts, read 88,772 times
MTSilvertip, good to know that some Highlanders can be more, uh, people oriented. I knew a couple who took care of a ranch of them years ago. (She did some horse training for me) Didn't sound like a job for the faint of heart. Then, much more recently, an elderly neighbor of ours bought a cow to put on his small acreage. We all had about five acres. Seller didn't bother to inform this neighbor that they just separated cow and calf when they put the cow on the trailer and delivered her. Broke through four-strand barb wire looking for her calf and was spotted around the neighborhood for about a week. One day, about half the neighborhood was out trying to capture her. I had her loosely penned between a fence and a house/trailer. Not pushing, just holding waiting for help to arrive. Cow put her head down and shook those horns at my horse and he decided no more cow herding! Eventually the cow was caught but I'd have to agree that, be very, very careful if you ever consider the Highlanders. Now the old milk cow when I was a kid tasked with feeding the cows at night.....got better as I got bigger and carried a hunk of fire wood with me to the hay shed.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:37 PM

Thank you! and we are riveted by your Highlander cattle descriptions. Absolutely riveted. We've been researching diligently since yesterday and went through most of the Scottish breeder's websites. I believe their ranches or farms are called "folds". Interesting you mentioned dogs as I was going to paste this onto this thread. Very interesting.

from their website:

"Highland cattle have evolved alongside predators such as the wolf, which makes them extremely agitated when they see the modern day descendant of the wolf, the dog. Now the Romesdal croft land is diagonally bisected by the road leading down to the old mill and the shore and a few, but not many, of the locals walk their dogs down the road to the shore.

If our Highlanders are in either of the fields adjacent to the road as dogs are on it most of the adults will express their disapproval by charging up and down the fence, bellowing as they do so, in an attempt presumably to drive the dogs away or get at them and kill them. They also tend to react to dogs particularly badly when there are young calves in the fold. There is an exception to this golden rule of Highlander behaviour and that is with our own collie *****, Jay, whom they will ignore or occasionally try to kick as most most have known her since birth."

We would like to get two or three blue heelers once there as I had such good experiences with them when last in Montana. One was a "boyfriend" to my dog and he was the best dog. Loyal and intelligent beyond belief. I have never had the privilege of having one. When I read the above last night I wondered how compatible they'd be with the Highland cattle. Do you need the help of a cattle dog with the Highlanders? You certainly do with the Angus. One of the blues, she seemed to be a runt as she was tiny, many I'm seeing online are very large, was a tireless cattle dog. She worked all day and rarely took a break. I don't know how she did it. They are made of different canine material than other breeds. Protective. Loyal. Intelligent. Tough, great dogs. How would they do with Highlanders? I would hate to lose a dog to a Highlander. Any good local breeders. Very good one in Wyoming.

Highlanders seem not to be hard on the fences as are buffalo. Is that true? You mentioned they are quite small but some of the bulls we are seeing online are enormous. Do you raise for breeding stock or for slaughter? Average heifer price seems to be about $2000. Does that seem about right? Cost of a bull?? I can see the necessity of putting forth that kind of effort to look for the right bull. Gentle dispositions. What a nice change from the angus I've experienced. I didn't realize cattle could be gentle until I read your posts. Amazing how your Father gets in there with the cubes and hand feeds. I would like to grow a herd like that. The horns are a bit intimidating though.

Looked at Columbus again. Realized I kept my horses south of Absaroke south of Nye Rd. Few places can compare to the Big Timber/Livingst/Bozeman area though. Beautiful landscapes. The current pop of Big T seems to be at around 1,600. Does that sound accurate? 5,000 in the county. Seems the land is a bit more affordable north of town than south. Perhaps it is as you mentioned, south being a bit more sheltered. Is summertime less windy than winter? There seems to be considerably less snow than Bozeman, is that correct?

We've got 15 mph winds today and it's not bad at all but it's not 30 degrees either. Big Timber has gusts of 30 mph today but then calms down for the next ten days to around 15 mph. That doesn't sound too bad at all and temps are warming up too and it's only March with many weeks left till summer. Is Big Timber the warmer of the three? Boze/Living/Big T? The more I look at Big Timber as a possible place to put down roots the more I like it. Located midway (approx) btw Bozeman and Livingston is a real plus for us as well. More affordable than either Boze/Livingst from what I can see online. The small high school is a real draw for us. Grocery. Hospital. Anything else we need we can drive a hour or so east or west. Livingston also seems to have many more amenities since we were last there. Grocery, etc.

MtSilvertip, does your father sell any of his peacocks? I don't recall if they are like guineas and need to be started from keets in order to keep them on the property. Many here start with 30 or more keets and end up with around five at the end of the year. They fly off or get eaten. Not the smartest birds in the hen house and terrible parents but great bug patrol. I didn't know peacocks were watch-birds too. The guineas are quite vociferous watch-birds. I can't imagine your father has both. It must be very noisy at his place when a stranger shows up.

Are your cows calving now? Do they follow the same season as angus/herefords?

We are enthralled by your Highlander posts MtSilvertip. We appreciate the time you take to write them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana