Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 AM

4 posts, read 11,589 times

Advertisements

@historyfan - I understood! :-)

@threerun - I agree with you. The same could be said about here in Kentucky. To your second point...I have found that to be true (I do have a Masters) However, I have had no luck finding job openings there in the same place for myself and my wife. It seems to be one or the other...and if I do find both, they're a 100 miles apart. Just can't do that. This is all complicated by the fact that open teaching jobs have a very small window of opportunity each year since teachers have to be pretty much in place by August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 12:53 PM

82 posts, read 205,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

We would move back to Colorado, but it is absolutely not retirement friendly for those of modest means.
I've read on this forum somewhre that the first $20K of your retirement is tax free in CO. I am not sure about Montana. If you have a $50K a year retirement, and the first $20K is tax free, I'd think it would go a long way. Texas, however, has no income tax but it makes up for it in other ways. Colorado is like New York and California in that it likes its taxes.....as compared to other states. But, that first $20K of retirement is tax free there. You might check it out.

There's no way I'd retire on the ugly front range of Colorado or the crowded I70 cooridor with the brown inversion cloud that encompasses downtown Denver despite emissions testing and burn ban days. Unfortunately, the SLV where I grew up is running out of water. I read a post that even the mountain lions have been run out onto the Wyoming prarie citing front-range and mountain overpopulation in the state as the cause. I don't know if there is supporting documentation for that.

You mentioned Idaho. I know a few retirees in the SLV that moved from Idaho. One told me there's no way he could afford to retire back there. It's all realtive I suppose.

Most small cities and town regardless of where they are don't warm up right away to outsiders. Californians are talked about where I live but I've never seen anyone be down-right ugly to one here. That said, Californians aren't the friendliest or most gregarious people I've ever met. There exceptions however.

I like Montana. I hate to say it but I see Montana's future in Colorado. It's still a great state though.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:04 PM

31 posts, read 126,863 times
My answers to your questions:

1. It depends. A lot of Montanans are leery and standoffish towards Californians. Why? They have come up here and gotten into the politics (as if California is some bastion of economic glory--they're bankrupt) and they've helped to drive the real estate prices up. Californians are used to regulations, laws, and taxes, so they've brought that up here with them. Some Montanans are clannish/clickish, but there's always welcoming types of people so that should be no problem given the line of work both of you have regarding being around people.
2. Schools in the area are great. Nice, clean school environments with a supporting public.
3. Get outdoors? Are you serious? This IS the place for outdoor activities! Wait till you see Glacier...and other scenic spots.
4. Being in the Kalispell/Whitefish area, you will appreciate the amenities that come with city living, such as movies, major brand stores like Lowes, Home Depot, nice array of restaurants...all while being around the wilderness. It's just awesome, plain and simple.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:10 AM

74 posts, read 127,391 times
We're 3 years new here from the big city in Arizona to Kalispell. We jumped into the abyss looking in several states to buy a lot, we just wanted to retire somewhere quiet after a lifetime of dealing with life in the fast lane (literally...the fast lane on the freeway and all the senseless fatal car crashes). It was never that fun to live in a suburb…taking evening pleasure walks under an inordinate number of streets lights (one over about every third or fourth house, maybe fifth). We hoped we would never have to work anymore once moved out here, but knew it could happen where things don't work out as they do on paper financially…and yes we're concerned about the wage versus the commute and effort. I got a boon luck opportunity because I moved my job offered me to keep working but as a remote employee. We settled 30 miles out of Kalispell the drive adds $10.00 to every anything we do in Kalispell because of the commute. We built a quaint house not a McMansion. I really know how you feel about California and it's attitude to those who speak about that…I feel the same way too and that's my home state of many many years and moving back and forth. I had a lot of friends there and (all seven of them) feel the same way and would like to leave, but worry if you can make it somewhere else. They worry about thier kids being happy with friends and pay vs cost of living. I don't know if there's friendliness or not of people in Montana towards us as, I can't tell. All I do is go to the store…so of course they want you to come back. I don't think the store employees have to be as nice as they are though. I love it here and everyone I've met is very nice….way more than what I'm used to. I've had nice things done for me by folks here. It could be luck and the little life I live here too. I love the dark….there's nothing like getting to experience another one of natures pleasures…the dark…sitting on your porch in the dark…I can see you, but you can't see me. The cost of living is high compared to the city (shipping costs??). The rentals in one weekend of entire-day looking we're mostly dissappointing (just like anywhere), but found rental homes that were unblievably beautiful on sides of mountains over looking lakes. Downtown Kalispells homes are very tiny and a no-go for queen beds and sectional couches. Hope to get to know your wife at one of my doctors appointments if she gets a job there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana