Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:22 PM

66 posts, read 227,740 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am currently in billings looking for a place to stay. I will be here for 1-2 months and I have yet to find a place to sleep outside of hotels which are rapidly depleting my reserves. If I get an apartment I will end up spending all the money I will be making at the construction site I am working at. It would be finically better to just return to Portland now. I have also tried to get a room here but so far, for the past 3 days, I have not gotten any responses from the craigslist ad posters I’ve contacted. Therefore it looks like I may be living in my truck for a few days. So, does anyone know of any places in billings where I will not get in trouble if I park and sleep over night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,485,239 times
Billings KOA Montana - Welcome to the World's First KOA
There are campgrounds such as KOA that have all sorts of rates/amenities. It might be option as it gets warmer. Tent camping is about $25 night but they may have deals for multiple nights. As it warms up state & national forest campgrounds will open & rates at those are less but have fewer amenities. Maybe somehow who camps will respond with better answers. Good luck.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:26 PM

6,748 posts, read 8,524,428 times
Some of the fishing access sites allow overnight camping as well. Some have a fee, some don't. Usually the fee is usually pretty reasonable, but depends on the site and amenities available. There are 103 fishing access sites that allow camping.

[SIZE=3]Introduction to Montana's Fishing Access Sites - Montana Fish[/SIZE]

Check with the local FWP about camping along the Yellowstone around Billings.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:45 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,940,096 times
There should be plenty of nice spots where you won't have to pay.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:36 PM

66 posts, read 227,740 times
thank you all.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 PM

31 posts, read 51,615 times
This makes me curious, I can not think of one single construction or /transient type job that does not pay well enough to find a room or camping spot.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:21 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,452,648 times
I have to agree that is strange, usually these jobs pay big dollars to get workers to travel. I would explore a tent option in the woods somewhere.
Does not sound well thought out.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:25 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,940,096 times
I worked at a construction site for a short time doing the post-construction clean up and only made $10 per hour. If a guy has car payments and child support payments etc it may not leave enough for rent.
Camping for extended periods can leave a guy pretty ragged looking and feeling like crap so I wouldn't be too quick to bash this guy but proper planing does go a long way when moving.

For several years I had to live in a car or go to jail for not paying support because there just wasn't enough in my paycheck to pay rent and child support. I chose to pay the support and rough it in the car, I did the bird-bath thing in the restroom sink at my job and my boss was very understanding.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 PM

Oh I have been there, I can understand the money thing, guess it just did not dawn on my meat head because that was a long time ago.

Tenting can be hard on a guy if he cant find a good tent campground, but there are a couple on the river there in the Billings area and I know one of them has showers, its a Forest service one and not sure what the price is, but when I was there last it was like 7 bucks for three days.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:21 PM

Oh and stay away from Craigslist, it is mostly scammers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana