Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times

Advertisements

Water will be an issue. You may have to haul water to cisterns. Water in mountains is usually from a spring. If you have to drill, it will be necessary to have drill rigs and then it might too deep to water table or it will be under bedrock that will not be feasible to drill through.
You may be able to buy timberland from a lumber company such as Crown or Plum Creek through their real estate arms. Deep snow country that is privately held will likely border National Forest so look for real estate offerings in counties with a lot of National Forest. Since you have the several million it will take realtors will be happy to find it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 PM

31 posts, read 51,893 times
If you do not mind Pioneer, may I ask where you are currently from?

Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I suggest an area between Cut Bank and Glacier Park.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:33 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,159 times
I'm wondering why these folks aren't looking at Alaska.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:00 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
I don't want to jump to conclusions, but maybe there's a Montana-survivalist-dream lurking in there somewhere? A remote place in the mountains populated with like-minded people, in touch with other like-minded people in remote areas? For a big family, I'd say 40-60 acres would be what I'd be looking for, but 600 acres would be suitable for that kind of set-up. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that per se, but it puts it in a different category (economically, philosophically, politically) than just a big family wanting to live off the grid in a pretty place. We've had threads like that before, with a variety of different reactions...Then again, maybe Pioneer just wants to live in a place where he is not reminded of the 21st century, with a really big buffer...

Old 04-20-2013, 02:36 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I know folks who live off the grid, several outside of Billings, about 50 miles out, not as much snow as these people want though. One guy has no electricity in his cabin, uses a Woodstove for heat. He has well water, and a hand pump.

Area outside of Roundup had a lot of folks that wanted to be left alone. Fine. But living off the land is not practical in Montana, just too short of a growing season.

Not a life for me.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:01 PM

25 posts, read 46,061 times
Hi All,

Thanks for your replys! However, no..the Yaak isn't really our style.
Well, we're from all over, actually..my Husband's career has taken us many places. My family and I are originally from western Pennsylvania...although my Husband's family has spent a great deal of time out west.

Alaska is beautiful, we've been there and have a few friends out that way but unfortunately with Alaska you can also get a high crime rate, not something we'd like to deal with at this point in our lives.

Maybe we'll fit right in with the five to ten people who call PoleBridge home year round... that's not many,huh? We shall see.

Thanks all for your help and honest opinions, appreciate it.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:22 PM

25 posts, read 46,061 times
Oh Clark, I forgot to add..No, not looking for a days-doom camp. We just want a life close to what we grew up with within the Appalachain Mountains. Although, they are " foothills" compared to the Rockies!

Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Fair enough! Your motivation is of course your business, I've just seen some survivalists in these forums with very romantic and unrealistic notions. But trying to recapture a lost lifestyle is different; when I was a kid I spent every summer in a cabin without running water etc, and they were the best times of my childhood/young adulthood. And what am I doing right now ? Trying to duplicate that kind of life at the foot of the Cabinet Mountains, with a few more amenities . So I hear what you're saying. And the Cabinets are just about as wild as it gets! Grizzly territory up there...

Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,159 times
You may find what your looking for in "Mining Claims"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana