Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 PM

25 posts, read 45,856 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family and I will be relocating to Montana with-in the next 2 years. We are currently looking for the perfect property for us. I have tried to do a lot of research online and here within the forums but as with anything, answers vary. I was wondering if anyone had some personal experiance living in an area we would like to live in..

The perfect place for us would be in the mountains, the higher the elevation the better, Lots and lots of snow in the winter, and decent summers, heavily forrested, extremely wilderness and extremely remote and secluded. Would like to have 600 acres give or take. No mcmansion building, just seeking an off the grid life style for this hardworking, self-reliant,respectful and friendly family!

Cold doesn't bother us, wilderness and wildlife doesn't bother us and we try real hard not to bother anyone else either. However, we're always willing to lend a hand.

As for being "Remote"..I suppose it would look kinda like this; At least 35 + miles away from the closest town with services, 18 miles + miles away from the closest restaurant and 5 to 8+ miles away from the last row of mailboxes.

Would any of you be willing to help us narrow our search?

Thank you for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 PM

experience

Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,937,816 times
Try Deborgia, Saltese or Essex. I think you may be in for a radical wake up call.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,469,716 times
Lots of places in Montana fit the bill. The online Montana land magazine might have some listings.
Nominal price for a section of timber begin at $1200/acre for unmerchantable to $2000 &up/acre for a section of merchantable timber ground. (A section is 640 acres.) A particularly picturesque location will cost several million.
Improvements made in remote locations; construction, well drilling, etc. will cost considerably more than ones done in less remote conditions.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:53 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,445,261 times
Come visit, there is a sub division south of Anaconda called Clear Creek or Aspen Hills. The back properties are 8+ miles from Mill Creek road not year around accessible unless you have a snow cat or snowmobile etc. All off the grid. Some lots may still be available close to a creek or seasonal pond.
take a trip down towards Wise river or places along the Big Hole River.

You really need to come visit and Drive the areas and see which one one may suit you. Pretty diverse state with lots to offer.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 AM

Thank you all for your help! Don'tlook, I'm sure it will be...and I completely understand your stance. My Father in-law loves the area around Essex and that is where he would like to be, we'll be heading on up this summer, and yes...we'll be coming up for all 4 seasons ( winter,winter,winter and summer). He may just get his wish!
Historyfan, Thank you and yes, we've reviewed several properties from that magazine.
We won't be selling the timber, we'll be using it to build and heat with. We'll be building our own log homes and drilling our own well. Rambush, Thanks! However, being part of a subdivsion isn't what we're wanting, they have a tendency to expan...but thank you. The accessibility won't be a problem. American Track Truck Check'em out...American Made!

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions, please keep them coming. We are trying to narrow our search for when we make the trip(s) and we'd rather not rely on a realtor...locals is always the way to go!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 AM

451 posts, read 994,177 times
Have you looked at the Polebridge area? What you describe in your OP pretty much describes the place.

Good luck,

mg

Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM

Thanks Mg, I'll surely check it out !

Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM

Hey Mg, I believe that was the other area my father in-law mentioned wanting to check out..he was saying it was off of North fork road....

Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,937,816 times
We are also forgetting about "The Yaak"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana