U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 12:06 AM

7,550 posts, read 12,655,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF2008 View Post
Some people need CPS. There are a lot of ABUSIVE PARENTS out there.
True, but CPS has too much power. In California, just an accusation of abuse is sufficient to get your kids taken away from you, with no investigation required, no due process, no right to face your accuser. You're judged guilty by CPS just for being a parent, and it's up to you to prove your innocence. This is unconstitutional, but it's how the system has evolved (indeed, it's the direction our whole legal system is headed). Meanwhile your kids are being bounced around foster care, which has become a glorified welfare system (and attracts about the same level of person), and in a year or two and with a good lawyer, you MIGHT get them back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 07:26 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,653,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
True, but CPS has too much power. In California, just an accusation of abuse is sufficient to get your kids taken away from you, with no investigation required, no due process, no right to face your accuser. You're judged guilty by CPS just for being a parent, and it's up to you to prove your innocence. This is unconstitutional, but it's how the system has evolved (indeed, it's the direction our whole legal system is headed). Meanwhile your kids are being bounced around foster care, which has become a glorified welfare system (and attracts about the same level of person), and in a year or two and with a good lawyer, you MIGHT get them back.
Too true! We faced this about 14 years ago, my son wouldn't stop biting other kids no matter how much we did time outs or talked so my wife slapped his mouth when he bit a kid in the pool.
Next thing we know CPS is at our door like the gestapo DEMANDING entrance to inspect the child.
Pretty much "comply and be assimilated" is the cry of those lock step facists. Took 6 months of crud to get past it and we remain in their files to this day and were told "if" we ever showed up on their radar again we faced jail time. On the other side, he never bit another kid.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:54 AM

266 posts, read 637,965 times
Well the question is do you want a unpopulated poor Montana, or do you want a strong economy? There is a reason why business, big ones, don’t even look at Montana. You have all pointed it out already, taxes. Why would a business go to a state with a state income tax that comes right off their bottom line? Unless there are some major benefits, not of which Montana has.

Sales tax has been a dirty word in Montana my whole life, now that I live in a state that has one, and no state tax its not so bad. Drop the state tax and put in a sales tax, or I do like the idea of a flat tax, but only if the get rid of all the other taxes, ie gas tax, license plates, property tax and so on. Do that and the state will have more money, and business will come.

Something needs to be done to create opportunity for native Montanans or they have to leave, like I did, to make something of them selves. That means out side big money. Or you can just do nothing and leave Montana poor.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:33 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,822,490 times
I'd pass legislation banning the ownership of land by anyone who is not a full time resident.

Last edited by Timberwolf232; 08-26-2008 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-26-2008, 05:02 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,952,635 times
Are you going to tell them what crops to plant and what color to paint their houses too ?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:10 PM

Naa... Just to help the working man with a fair chance to own and work a chunk of ground without having to compete financially with wealthy folks that don't live here.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,653,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Naa... Just to help the working man with a fair chance to own and work a chunk of ground without having to compete financially with wealthy folks that don't live here.
Actually I would support higher property taxes for absent owners since they don't support the area/services year round like full time residents do.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:59 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,667,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Actually I would support higher property taxes for absent owners since they don't support the area/services year round like full time residents do.
But by the same token, aren't those same people less of a drain on the area's limited resources?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
But by the same token, aren't those same people less of a drain on the area's limited resources?
Depends on how you look at it. Vacation homes use up land that was once used for farming or agriculture. Now they sit, nobody farms it, nobody uses it for grazing or pasture, someone still has to cut the grass, irrigate, etc...

I'd support higher property taxes on absentee owners also.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:39 AM

139 posts, read 422,096 times
I just read the question and immediatly clicked on "Post a Reply". I haven't read any of the other posts so forgive me if my answer is redundant to someone elses idea.

#1 Fix for Montana's problems:
Re-elect Schweitzer and Bohlinger. Nuff said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana