U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,868,216 times

Advertisements

I urge anyone who is interested in Native American culture, people and history should read Chief Seattle's Reply" Just google it, it's not too lengthy.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:46 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,452,692 times
I for one don't expect anyone to give up their heritage or traditions but I believe those can exist alongside the current ways of the world with minimal conflict.
I guess it's along the lines of people who immigrate here and are asked to assimilate into our nation. We all have to have a common way of dealing with each other while out in the "world" so we can exist and prosper as a nation.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:06 PM

395 posts, read 1,248,739 times
I think native americans should be treated with respect.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:56 AM

37 posts, read 132,146 times
Yes, treat Native Americans with respect. And while you do so realize that the people aren't actually native but travellers like the rest of us. My experiences with... people who live on reservations have all been bad. The reservation system was a bad idea then and it is now. Montana reservations are slums. Everytime i have gone to a tribal ceremony i have experienced real racism by these people. I was in a bathroom at a urinal when four or five people wearing dancers costumes came in and mocked me for being white. At the University of Montana, a "Native American" shouted at some people entering because they were white. I'm sure this rampant racism on reservations comes from being on a reservation and not from being (native/aboriginal) whatever they would like to be called but...

I'm sick of these labels. I'm sick of college applications which direct me to mark "Caucasian" on them. As if thats an agenda i support or a set of values i have. This is not a colorblind country, it never was. My Ancestors? Scottish/Irish... so? Irish built the railroads, alongside the chinese. Do i own a share of the railroads? No.

I read Chief Seattle's reply. It's good, but just because the indians practiced warfare while worshiping the earth does not make their warfare better. War is war. It kills.
Yes, the tribes used to kill each other, now they are government-supported businessmen.

Reservations are a bad idea. Now and always.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:24 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,452,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaJasMi View Post
I think native americans should be treated with respect.
Wouldn't one agree that all people should be treated with respect if it is earned? Why just single out one person or people?

Old 02-05-2008, 02:26 PM

395 posts, read 1,248,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Wouldn't one agree that all people should be treated with respect if it is earned? Why just single out one person or people?

I respect everyone...what is so bad about that?! I just "singled out" one group because that is WHAT THIS POST WAS FOCUSED ON.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:30 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,220,966 times
I don't respect Patriot fans...everyone else is fine

Old 02-05-2008, 02:50 PM

495 posts, read 364,967 times
I got a better question - "What do u think about white people?" -

You know the most amazing thing about all this is that anybody with half a brain (I admit it is harder to find those people today) knows that racism goes across racial lines but here in America we act as if it is only commited by White people. Who perveys this sentiment ? How did such sentiment get started ? And how and why do supposedly intelligent people buy into it ? Well it just goes to show the weakness of the American mind.
I find very few if any White people that will talk disparrigingly about indians, if anything they hold them in high esteem, as proud people with great and interest customes, and how many white people (lots) are so quick and proud to say ..."Oh yes i'm 1/8 indian", conversly indians are for the most part bashing white people and us as white people go along with it, in fact we even join in.
It's a funny situation, isn't it ? And to a large extent defies logic....then again logic isn't not something we as Americans pursue much anymore...now-a-days it's all about 'feeling'......so it's really no wonder why we are in this mess today. Once again we as a people (black,white,yellow and red) are all getting what we deserve for being a people so bent on indulgence...and indulgence along with all the other pamperings americans needs these days...have all lead to the failing of the mind and the failing of those collective minds ie. society. In all our education, dispite constant reminding we have forgetten how to think for ourselves.....
Yes in America, where a vote by George Washington himself today would hold no more weight than a vote cast by a Charles Manson or Dionysus if he lived here today. No need to wonder why we're in the mess we're in today when it comes to racism or any other issue.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:08 AM

11 posts, read 24,068 times
Oh wow, JoeJoeMan, I have got to respond Joe, this last statement You made is incredible, this is one of the exact reasons I said one should experience the reservation before making judgements on Indians, or reservations. I am not trying to be condesending, or anything of the sort Joe, but You are living in an area where You are not subjected to racism, especially toward Natives. I can take You to any reservation coffee shop, and You will hear severe racism toward us, it is sad, as this is a day and age when as a people we are making enormous strides to get rid of old wives tales, and half truths about ourselves, as well as try and teach about our misunderstood culture. But, You know what is really sad Joe, as we do so, we act just as those who hurt us so bad do, we are racists, not only toward non-natives, but other natives as well. This, racist crap that is so dangerous, and so harmful is evil, and I seriously feel that America needs to get a grip on it, for God Sake how long and how deep are we as a United Poeple going to let it get before we try to heal the wounds, and believe me, it isn't just between natives, whites, or even color, it is against anything we don't understand, or that is different than us. I am a very caring, and loving person, no mater who the person, and it really tears at my heart strings to hear it all, especially when it is towrds myself or my sons. I am not sure how many out there have heard a parent scream at their child, to get away from that dirty Indian, and for the rest of their childhood never be able to play with that boy again. It cuts to the bone, as a youth, I became a boxer, and while I didn't know it at the time, it was simply to release the pent up pain of things like that, things I had seen and that had been done to me just because I was native. Ok, enough said. I am sorry if I offended anyone, I certainly do not intend to, just had to give my two cents, from the belly of the beast, though I know I have had it no where near as bad as some. Sorry for my rant, Clint

Old 02-07-2008, 09:17 AM

11 posts, read 24,068 times
I love my Reservation Blitzrunner15, the are is beautiful, we are slowly but surely moving out of the type cast reservation of my childhood, we have the first Tribal Wilderness ever established in the world. We are also, a very well educated people as a whole, with so many things to look forward too. I actually feel blessed to have been raised in an area such as this, even while it wasn't totally barable as a child, I survived to become a Fisheries Biologist, working and living, as well as rearing my 2 adult sons here. I truly hope You find Your nitch, and it suits what You are looking for, Sincerely, Clint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or