U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2013, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,288 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!
First things first, let me introduce myself, my name is Victor and, Iím 17 and Iím French. Having not so many job opportunities here in Europe, I thinking about moving to the US.
Beyond all the visa or bureaucratic problems (I know that moving to the USA is not so easy ), Iíd like to ask some questions about Montana. If I achieve one day to get my green card, my dream State would be Montana. The scenery, the living style (God bless the second amendment) and the prices (compared to the French onesÖ) look so great!
But I have some questions to ask to Montanans or people who have ever visited this place (what Iím planning to do one day!).
First, Iím pretty fluent in English and Iím doing history studies (Iím planning to finish my studies in France before moving).
- How is the job market in Montana (I know the crisis is everywhere) but what the sectors hiring?
- How are the houses prices? Whatís the average surface of a Montanan house?
- What do you think of Bozeman? (stores, facilities, restaurants, libraries, entertaining or cultural placesÖ)
- How are the people?
- About the weather, I know it can get really cold. But How cold? And what about the summer weather?
- Regarding the prices could you give some examples of prices of everyday life stuff?
- Would I suffer from discrimination because Iím ďcheese eating surrender monkeyĒ ^^ ?
Thanks in advance for your answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 12:03 PM

7,737 posts, read 9,030,452 times
The job market in Montana is not the greatest except maybe in the eastern part in the Bakken oil fields. Housing prices vary depending on where you are but are expensive in the pretty part of the state and generally don't keep up with the wages. As far as surface area, do you mean size of the houses? I went to college in Bozeman and while the university is good, the town was not. I found it to be pretentious and very anti-student. There are plenty of stores, restaurants, a nice library, and some cultural events, but as I said before, I didn't like the people. It may be different for non-students. The people vary in the state. Eastern Montanans are generally pretty friendly as are those from the southwest part of the state. Those from west of the Continental Divide are not welcoming to outsiders, generally. As far as cold weather, it can get below zero but that is not all winter long. Groceries are high-priced, other items it depends. As far as discrimination, see the comments about the different regions.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:02 PM

4,745 posts, read 4,025,113 times
Because of your age you should explore options of international student exchange programs through universities. A student exchange program could provide perfect vehicle for you to study and visit the US. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana