U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 13,788 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have been researching for the past 3-4 months in regards to moving to Montana. I recently found out I am the father of twin girls from 5 years ago when I was in the Army. Took me quite a while to find my ex and get a DNA test done.. however that is a long story and besides the point really.

In order to be closer to my daughters and catch up on the years taken from me I am considering the Conrad, Shelby, Cut Bank, and Great Falls Locations.

The closer to the Canadian border the better in regards to driving distance to see my daughters. I am having a very hard time locating rentals in the Shelby and Conrad locations. I understand these are smaller communities and there probably isn't a lot of turnover when it comes to rental properties.

I understand jobs in Montana are far and few between (especially for my profession) however I will continue work with my job as a Systems Architect remotely.

Is there a list of apartment complexes / town homes or other available properties for the smaller communities mentioned above? My move in date would most likely be late August or Early September depending on how long it takes for me to get my home rented here on the east coast.

I appreciate any insight / feedback / suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 04:00 PM

7,663 posts, read 8,950,244 times
Check the local newspapers. Great Falls will probably be the easiest one to find rentals in due to its size.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:51 PM

4,641 posts, read 3,962,883 times
Be sure to check internet availability and quality in the smaller communities before moving. I would choose Great Falls to start. The internet will be fast and an airport is available.

You can always move to one of smaller communities if a rental becomes available later. In towns that size rentals are likely filled by word of mouth, sign in rental window, or a bulletin board at the bank, post office, or library. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 AM

1,191 posts, read 2,564,737 times
I agree that Great Falls would be the best choice for having more community resources and internet access, but you could also check out Havre. Havre is small, but home to one of the campuses in the University system.

hope that helps

Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM

2,085 posts, read 3,050,190 times
Happiness Is beat me to it. You might check out Havre. Much smaller than GF, but much larger than your other possibilities. Large enough to have anything one REALLY needs. Pop. of about 10k. Should have way more rentals than Shelby or Conrad.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:52 PM

16 posts, read 23,223 times
I'd choose Cut Bank. The location is great, near the Canadian border and Glacier National Park. It's a nice town, nice people, and has just about everything you need, and there's always many choices of something to do. There are a number of medical facilities, a great library, school system, churches, and the shopping choices are excellent. Many other services are available, too, with more on the way. Cut Bank is larger than Conrad or Shelby.

The housing market is growing. Check out the CB Chamber of Commerce and/or CB Pioneer Press for info, rentals, etc. I think the main thing Cut Bank has going for it is its "can-do", forward-looking attitude. It's a progressive, diverse town, and has something for everybody, and has been dubbed "The city with the bright future". I believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or