Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,665 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am thinking of moving to Havre Montana. Weather is no concern, I am used to it. I am a chef, and I want to move to Havre and open a restaurant. Below are some of my questions:

Should I open a restaurant in the town center?

Should I lease or buy a building? What would be the prices?

Would the cost of goods be expensive?

Do restaurants in Havre get good profit?

Overall, could I be successful being a chef and living Havre?

Thank you so much if you can answer, it is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
As an old railroad town Havre strikes me as very a blue collar type place. I do not know what type of restaurant you are contemplating but I believe it is an old fashioned cafe' town rather than white linen tablecloth. Perhaps someone from Havre will reply to the contrary.

If you are a chef with an eye toward providing fine dining experiences, you should consider any of resort areas whether summer or ski and or a bigger population base like Billings. Also something to note, Helena has a good restaurant trade during legislative years.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:23 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
As an old railroad town Havre strikes me as very a blue collar type place. I do not know what type of restaurant you are contemplating but I believe it is an old fashioned cafe' town rather than white linen tablecloth. Perhaps someone from Havre will reply to the contrary.

If you are a chef with an eye toward providing fine dining experiences, you should consider any of resort areas whether summer or ski and or a bigger population base like Billings. Also something to note, Helena has a good restaurant trade during legislative years.
And we're in desperate need of good restaurants!

Old 07-23-2013, 05:06 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
And we're in desperate need of good restaurants!
We still have Shellys, but the Early Bird closure really left a hole that needs to be filled

Old 07-23-2013, 05:23 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times
I grew up in Havre. I'll 2nd the blue collar comment. Can't really answer your business specific questions. I am sure things have changed since I left in 1990. Could answer other questions.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Depending on the type of restaurant you want to open, you may be better off in a resort area or somewhere more touristy. This is not to say that Havre is a bad choice, but you will be relying much more on local trade whereas a resort area or someplace a bit more touristy will also enable you to get more people passing through.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:33 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
The best place to have your questions answered would be the Small Business Development Center in Havre. They have their fingers on the pulse of the town and can offer a great deal of assistance. (406) 265-9226

Old 07-24-2013, 04:41 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The best place to have your questions answered would be the Small Business Development Center in Havre. They have their fingers on the pulse of the town and can offer a great deal of assistance. (406) 265-9226
Great suggestion . I'll add that the Chamber of Commerce probably maintains a welcome or visitors packet, too. They would certainly be worth a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana