U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM

127 posts, read 119,270 times
Red face Hubz for the weekends

Hi, me again..ok so next spring my hubz is going to North Dakota for work. He is joining the oil boom out there. I will be staying behind with our four small children (12,8,6,1) for the time being, here in Maryland. But it looks like that will be his employment for the next ten years or so. I am trying to figure out what state would be the best for me and the kids to move to that would put us closer to him. I don't think it is realistic for us as a family to only be together once a month or less.He may after some time out there secure a job that is 3 weeks on then one off..but not at first I don't imagine. Any ideas? I have been looking at states all around ND and in ND..just wondering if anyone had a nice small town they could suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 06:58 PM

653 posts, read 347,832 times
No where close to the Bakken. Anywhere within a reasonable distance to the oil fields will have very little housing available and is not a place for families.

Miles City, MT is a nice town that's about 3 hours from Williston, ND (the hub of the Bakken). I don't know what real estate prices look like since the Bakken has developed west.

Just remember that the oil fields have attracted a LOT of undesireables and crime has gone through the roof. It's not a place I would consider moving with my family.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 PM

yes I know..I have heard the same about the undesireables...sad really What about a town called Valley City? heard of it? I will look into Miles City too. Maybe something East..even if we were a shorter plane ride..that would work too. Right now we are 28k miles from ND. thanks for any info

Old 07-22-2013, 10:11 PM

2,592 posts, read 1,860,623 times
Anything within easy commute from the fields have been effected, all the way to Billings. However, there are a lot of small towns that aren't really hard hit.
Circle, Jordan, Fairfield, Westby, Wibaux, Terry, small towns, fairly close to the fields but very few services so not as impacted as places with more bars, entertainment, car lots and rental housing.

Don't discount a lot of the small towns in that area, the people that live there have been there a long time, good people with strong morals and values.

You may have to drive for a couple hours to do any serious shopping, or go to a movie, but the isolation makes for a good place for kids to grow up.

Check them out for yourself before you make any decisions.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 AM

653 posts, read 347,832 times
I've never heard of Valley City, ND but it looks far enough away from the Bakken.

I was thinking about Terry too. I wonder if the drive-in theater is still for sale. I love drive-ins.

Perhaps Roundup would work. Or even Lewistown. It's a little farther but it's a nice town. Bigger than Roundup and the small towns MTSilvertip listed.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:53 AM

635 posts, read 461,658 times
I believe finding rentals in any small towns in Eastern Montana will be tough. It may be possible to buy houses at prices that will relect a seller's market.

The Miles City Star newspaper has always had ads from people begging for family rentals.
There is a new apartment complex in Miles City that has units from $1200 to $2500 month plus utilities according to milescity.com. I do not know if it has any vacancies.

Locating in Billings would allow use of commuter air flights to & from Williston. Amtrak is also seeing ridership up with workers going back & forth from Northwestern Montana. Using Amtrak line Havre becomes a viable location.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:57 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,140,806 times
I have a friend that commutes from Havre, MT. A nice town, larger than most in the area. I grew up there. I think he does one week on, one week off schedule wise.

Really, you need to decide how far you or hubby is willing to drive for the commute. You mention the possibility of flying-recognize that most smaller area towns don't have an airport. And if they do, it is likely for crop dusters. Airlines don't fly into it.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 AM

17,170 posts, read 20,721,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I believe finding rentals in any small towns in Eastern Montana will be tough. It may be possible to buy houses at prices that will relect a seller's market.

The Miles City Star newspaper has always had ads from people begging for family rentals.
There is a new apartment complex in Miles City that has units from $1200 to $2500 month plus utilities according to milescity.com. I do not know if it has any vacancies.

Locating in Billings would allow use of commuter air flights to & from Williston. Amtrak is also seeing ridership up with workers going back & forth from Northwestern Montana. Using Amtrak line Havre becomes a viable location.
Has Billings added flights that expedia doesn't know about? I just did a search of flights and it shows that Billings to Williston has 2 layovers. 3 hours in Denver, and 7 hours in Dickenson. Flight is over $600 if you want to book it next week.

I had heard that they were going to add a flight direct, because all the big wigs and meetings were out of Billings, but it's not showing that it's been done.

Rapid City to Williston has one layover for 2 hours and the ticket is $487, one way.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:17 PM

thank you for all the info...the Amtrak idea sounds great...that would be so easy for him and more cost effective. He flew out to ND and yeah...it took all day with the layovers etc.I will look into the small towns you mentioned too..I don't want to be "out in no-whereville" either..You know I have family in WI..don't laugh..that may just work for us, still closer than Maryland!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:19 PM

Rapid City has been mentioned too before..I think I need to take a long look at it...thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana