Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:04 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,830,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I was curious about the hunting thing, so I went looking for info... didn't find anything offhand written by a Jewish source that wasn't more of a liberal opinion piece (by people who've clearly never lacked for groceries) than an examination of Jewish law. But this is the quick-and-dirty from Wikipedia:

So if this is correct (as someone once said, for every two Rabbis there are four opinions on any given law!!) -- it appears so long as it's for food, not sport, you could hunt deer because they're kosher (cloven hoof and chew cud, isn't that the gist of it?), not sure about rabbit, but I imagine if it's kosher from the butcher it's kosher to hunt for your freezer. But you're still required to minimize pain to the animal, so a quick kill is paramount.

As to being accepted... here we are all talkin' to each other, so!!

<roots around some more>

Ah, well, here's something reasonably official:

Dr. Rabbi Fink Discusses Hunting According to Jewish Law : eli federman : Free Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

<blink> "intermixing with goyim at social events" ??!

Reziac, you are quoting Talmudic interpretation. The whole issue about mixing with "goyim" at events probably has to do with the strict rules of Orthodox Jews at that time with being contaminated with non-kosher food or participating in pagan rituals. The Jews lived among many nations and religions in the times the Talmud was written, which can be almost 2000 years old. So, please don't misunderstand what you are reading, like so many do when they read the Talmud. Rabbi Maimonides himself was friends with many non-Jewish people. He actually was the physician of the royal family of Egypt. People also don't realize how insular the Jews in those days were, as many were at risk of being converted to other religions, losing their culture and being persecuted horribly.

There are a lot of other issues with hunting that I have discussed with Rabbis that makes it hard to understand. If you really want the authentic and Orthodox opinion about it, talking with a few Orthodox rabbis to get a general consensus of the issue would be the best approach.

The main problem is performing ritual sacrifice and avoiding broken bones. I'm no expert on halacha (Jewish Law) so I am not the greatest source of info. I just know that back in the days of the Holocaust, there was Jews hiding in the forests of Poland and Belarus, hunting and eating dogs, because they were starving to death. I, myself, know that hunting for food is essential survival skill. I, myself, eat meat, so I have no objection to hunting it myself. I have to learn from my ancestors in Europe to be able to survive in the worst of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 11:50 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Reziac, you are quoting Talmudic interpretation. The whole issue about mixing with "goyim" at events probably has to do with the strict rules of Orthodox Jews at that time with being contaminated with non-kosher food or participating in pagan rituals. The Jews lived among many nations and religions in the times the Talmud was written, which can be almost 2000 years old.
Ah, that makes sense. In my post I was wondering (none too clearly) if it was something in particular to do with hunting, because I have lots of Jewish friends in SoCal and they're all friendly with anyone! so I knew it wasn't a general thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
I just know that back in the days of the Holocaust, there was Jews hiding in the forests of Poland and Belarus, hunting and eating dogs, because they were starving to death.
Every interpretation I've seen of Jewish Law (we discussed it quite a bit in an amateur press thing I was in, along with a couple Jewish scholars) has allowed exceptions to preserve life. It's fairly sensible that way, I think.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:56 PM

24 posts, read 82,393 times
I'm glad to read this thread. We are revisiting the idea of moving to Billings. My husband is 3rd generation born and raised in Montana and his entire family is in the Billings area. I'm a suburban Chicago raised Agnostic Jew. DH has been here (in IL) over 20 years and wants to move back to MT but I'm scared to death about it (for many reasons that have nothing to do with this thread). We would not be practicing any religion, but we recognize the holidays with our children and they know their family history. It is nice to hear that being Jewish is not much of an issue in Billings at this time.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:30 PM

Well, if it's any hint, today at Costco in Bozeman, I shared a random conversation with passing strangers, one of whom was from Chicago, and remarked on how much she liked it here because it was so easy to get along with everyone!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:07 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,579,743 times
In Memory of one of my favorite posters from Great Falls who passed a while back. Walter Greenspan.

I wish everyone a good Rosh Hashana. I can't remember the exact words he used, but the translation went something like, may your name be written in the book of life.

Judaism 101: Rosh Hashanah

I am sorry I cannot do a better job of marking his holiday, but he brought a lot of information and good will to this board about his religion.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:26 PM

Yesterday I was reading an article on Jewish World Review, and what with the holiday, it reminded me of Walter. Later I came here, and -- another memory of our departed friend, who shared so much with us.

Last edited by Reziac; 09-07-2013 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: found the article again

Old 09-07-2013, 07:35 PM

And on a much lighter.... note:

Last week on a writers' forum, the discussion turned to sub-par efforts and bizarre editing errors in self-published works. Someone mentioned one such would-be author who wrote of a bad-tempered character who "threw his car keys at his shofar."

I came back with "I guess that's one way to toot your own horn!"

Old 09-07-2013, 07:57 PM

24 posts, read 82,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reziac View Post
and on a much lighter.... Note:

Last week on a writers' forum, the discussion turned to sub-par efforts and bizarre editing errors in self-published works. Someone mentioned one such would-be author who wrote of a bad-tempered character who "threw his car keys at his shofar."

i came back with "i guess that's one way to toot your own horn!"

lol

Old 09-26-2013, 10:43 PM

Awright, where can I buy matzo crackers around Bozeman? I like matzo brei, and while you can make it with regular unsalted crackers, it's just not the same. (Add chopped onion and butter, mmmm.)

Old 09-27-2013, 09:15 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I found a bunch of matzo crackers at the dollar store one time. You never know what you might find there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana