U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 08-02-2013, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 3,171 times
Smile Moving from New York to Montana

Hi! I am a college student from upstate New York. I went to Montana last year to visit some friends (in the fall) and now that I need to move out, I was thinking of moving there. As implied by the words "college student" I am on an extremely tight budget and it is paramount that I get a job as soon as I get out there. So, my question is this, where is the best place to move? I want to complete my nursing program, so it would need to be near a college town. As stated, I do have friends out there, so I would probably be able to rent housing from someone there. Can anyone offer any advice, warning, or other help? Thanks so much!

(*Note to Montana people: I am an "upstater" - NOT a NYC person. Don't be scared )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-02-2013, 03:20 PM

2,382 posts, read 1,624,132 times
Welcome to the Montana boards MissRosy.

Upstate NY is a beautiful place and very different from the city

You need to provide some information if you want good quality answers to your questions;
1) Is there a specific area you wish to move to?
2) What kind of work are you looking for?
3) Are you planning on working while you complete your degree, or will you be a full time student?
4) It might help if we know where your friends here are located.
5) Are you willing to commute, and if so, how far are you comfortable with?
6) If you plan on commuting, do you have a car because public transit here is very limited.

"Best Place" is kind of ambiguous, we don't know what you like, do you want lots of shopping or clubs/bars? Do you want to live in or near the mountains or are you comfortable on the open prarie?

Do you want easy access to outdoor activities, or do you prefer more things like theatre?

Internet and cell phone coverage can be spotty in some areas, so that may be a consideration as well.

Sorry for all the questions, but without some information it is really hard to answer your questions because Montana is the "Last Best Place", so if you just ask for the best place, well that would be Montana

Good Luck

Unread 08-02-2013, 05:42 PM

1) Is there a specific area you wish to move to?
Well, I have to agree, all of Montana is the best place! It's hard to decide where to go! Anywhere I can find work and a good school.
2) What kind of work are you looking for?
Pretty much anything that will let me pay the bills. I have experience as a non-certified Spec. Ed. Teacher's Aide, and as in a library, reference, bookstore atmosphere.
3) Are you planning on working while you complete your degree, or will you be a full time student?
I'm planning on working full time until I get my residency and then going to school full time with a part time job.
4) It might help if we know where your friends here are located.
I have friends in lots of places: Great Falls, Billings, Helena, Missoula, Kalispell, and a couple other little towns in random spots.
5) Are you willing to commute, and if so, how far are you comfortable with?
I am willing to commute, but I would prefer to stay close. I'm used to a 50+ min commute up here.
6) If you plan on commuting, do you have a car because public transit here is very limited.
I don't have a car, but I plan on getting one when I get out there. I could get one here, but I think it would be easier to just initially register and insure a vehicle in MT - plus an extra 12K miles on the car is not ideal.

I am not to worried about what I can do. Work and studies are very absorbing (I'm planning to be a nurse). I'm more comfortable without a lot of people around, but I've found even Montana's "big" cities are not that daunting. Obviously, one of my concerns would be proximity to a college.

Thanks for your answer!!

Unread 08-02-2013, 06:41 PM

OK, let's start with the basics.

There are nursing programs of several different levels and types, depending on your specialty will help determine where you go.

Montana Nursing Schools : Nursing Schools in Montana

Now, Jobs, that one is tougher, your best chance and largest selection of jobs is in Billings. Bozeman and Missoula are some of the most expensive places to live in the state, jobs don't pay well and the competition from college students keeps wages lower.

Havre and Helena are probably mid range for cost of living, while still having a nursing school, and are smaller towns so employment might be more of a challenge.

Commuting in Montana is pretty much a way of life because of distance. I know several people in Helena for example that commute from Townsend 30 miles away every day. Now commute time is around 30-40 minutes, traffic isn't a real big deal, but weather can cause problems including shutting down the highway, so if you do commute, you will want a vehicle that can handle bad roads.

One thing about Montana, the chance for outdoor adventure is everywhere and very accessible, it just depends on what you like. Hiking and swimming, rock climbing, bird watching, wildlife photography all things that are just outside your door for little or no cost.

Most of the colleges have some sort of work study program that can help you to set up a job while you go to school, you might want to select your school, then talk to their student services department.

Anyway, talk to your friends, they might be able to set you up with something right away.

Good Luck.

Unread 08-03-2013, 06:30 PM

931 posts, read 384,574 times
Advice: People in the nursing field are probably going to be fine in most of MT's larger communities--Missoula, Billings, Helena, Great Falls, Bozeman and even Havre are likely to have pretty sizable labor pools for your profession (I'd throw Butte in there, but no...just don't do it). I don't think there's much variance in wages between those places, either. Traveling nurse agencies in the state (eg. Monida Healthcare) can send you all over the place; large towns, small towns, Indian reservation communities, out of state, and, so I've heard, even the Bahamas and Australia. Once you're done with school (take note of the three towns I've listed above in bold), you'll have plenty of options.

As Silvertip mentioned, commuting from smaller communities surrounding any of those places is pretty common for people who prefer to maintain residence in a more rural area, but that's really only relevant if you're into rural isolation (personally, I find rural MT to be a bit too isolating, even if we're talking only 20-30 miles from the more urban ammenities).

Additional advice/Warnings: As a New Yorker relocating to a state where everyone reflexively fears people from NY (), you'd be we'll-advised to tell everyone you meet that your arrival in Montana is the result of a deep, personal choice to flee the land of Andrew Cuomo, Charles Schumer and Michael Bloomberg (okay, you don't have to tell that to most people, but I sure know I'd love to hear it ).

Unread 08-03-2013, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the help with the job picture, I forgot to mention that very important detail! haha Thanks for the warning about Butte - that is one thing I do know! And as a Yankee I almost got lynched last time I was there... I'll wear a sandwich board and be careful never to say "dog" or "water" in public. In all seriousness, I do appreciate all the helpful advice.

Unread 08-04-2013, 09:25 PM

598 posts, read 381,445 times
I know a lady that grew up in upstate New York. She married a rancher 30+ years ago. She's a Montanan now. She fit right in.

Unread 08-09-2013, 02:05 PM

13 posts, read 8,276 times
Is it not safe to be a liberal democrat in Montana?

Unread 08-09-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinMama27 View Post
Most Montanan's would probably be considered Independent or Libertarian, even our democrat politicians would probably be considered conservative in most other states.(except our senators baccus and tester who fit right in in Washington DC).

Liberals won't be lynched here, but are a pretty rare bird outside city limits of Missoula, Butte or Helena.

The guiding philosophy of most Montanan's is, "you do your thing, I do mine, don't try to make me do what you want and we will get along fine".

Don't look for a lot of support for social welfare here, most Montanan's feel you take care of your neighbor, they take care of you, leave government out of it.

Very independent and self reliant bunch here. Gun rights and property rights, hunting and fishing, using the resources we have in a manner that promotes jobs and preserving natural resources while still maintaing good stewardship of the land are common values.

Tree huggers, greens, eco-nazis, animal rightests, not appreciated.

Just be aware liberal talking points will probably not be warmly recieved, but Montanan's as a whole are pretty polite so they will quietly listen to your speil, walk away and avoid you from then on.

Just my point of view, take it or leave it, you asked I answered. You can make your own judgements once you get here.

Unread 08-09-2013, 04:09 PM

593 posts, read 283,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinMama27 View Post

I'm pretty liberal .

But like MTSilvertip pointed out, I'm in Helena. I still feel the city is overwhelmingly conservative. I get much more of a democratic feel from Missoula and Butte. Not even Bozeman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana