U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:41 PM

15 posts, read 79,717 times

Advertisements

I recently made a day trip to Havre & looking at the amenities there, thought it must have a population of about 50,000. I was surprised that the population was closer to 11,000. I just started looking at the weather patterns there ... and noticed that it is a little warmer than Glasgow. Being from NJ & only 13 miles from the George Washington Bridge going into NYC ... I am used to having some stores with stock on the shelf and competition among the stores. We don't get that here in Glasgow. Shopping at Wal-Mart & IGA was very nice in Havre. I was disappointed when I was told it is viewed as a dirty little town. I'd like the low down from someone who lives in Havre. Does it have a full service hospital & a good variety of doctors? What is the housing like there ... both in availability & price? I looked at some houses online ... few show what the inside looks like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 04:24 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,937,909 times
Default Havre, MT

What is the area around Havre, MT like? How close are you to a major town? Is there much in the way of stores in this area? Is it mostly ranching?

Old 01-27-2008, 03:30 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,937,909 times
any comments?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 14,041 times
Question Havre,MT

Are there any people in here near Havre?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:02 PM

8 posts, read 61,072 times
Default Havre Info & Pics

Please post all pictures and information on the specifics regarding havre, montana. I am moving from portland, oregon to havre this summer and I need as much information(not tourist jabber) as I can absorb. I can't take the crime here and I have thought long and hard about where I want to raise my 7yr son.

Wildlife such as poisionous snakes, spiders, whatever

What should I bring that I would need or what shouldn't I bring

thanks,

Old 02-19-2008, 11:49 AM

Default Help Need Havre' Info.

I am in portland oregon and plan on moving to havre this summer and would love to have some real information regarding the specific's on this charming town. I would also love to see some of the beautiful pictures of people have of havre. I want the good, bad and the ugly. I am sooo sick and tired of hearing gang gunfire and turning on the news to hear about robberies here and 14yr olds shooting other 14yr olds as they pass each other on the street. It wasn't always like this, I remember playing hide and seek with the neighbor kids up and down my street until midnight during the summer. We had maybe 1 or 2 murders a year(usually domestic), but now.. several a night and I have a 7yr old son who I don't plan to lose to the streets. So please, tell me nothing but the truth and don't sugar coat anything and please, don't try and talk me out of it.
I also couln't help but notice on the state stat's about people of race.. mostly white? Are people friendly on race or are they not?

thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 06:07 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,485,891 times
You'll be happy to hear that where ever you go there are no gangs in MT so far. That being said in the bigger cities like Missoula crime is on the upswing due to increased population. Almost all of the smaller towns outside the big cities are safe where there is no fear of walking down the street at night. In our town I'd have no issues walking around at night though I'd stand out since after about 10 pm nothing is open except a couple of bars and the streets are empty.
As for race, I haven't seen any issues, most here try to live and let live though in the real small towns it's cliquish but race has no bearing on that, it doesn't matter if you're white,black, green or yellow if you're new it takes a while for people to warm up to you. We came here years ago to raise our son for the exact reason you're thinking of it, I know that when my son goes out the door the only worry I have is HIM doing something foolish and getting hurt, not someone attacking him. Most parents send their kids out in the morning and won't see them until dinner unless they run into them across town on their bikes at the store or fast food place. We used to put our son on the shuttle to the local ski mountain (a free bus) at 8 am and not hear from him until 10pm when the bus dropped him off after a full day of snowboarding. There are many things for kids to do here like scouting where they go camping and such every month come rain,shine,snow or heat.
Good luck in your search, I wouldn't limit it to just Havre unless you have to, look all around the state and then decide.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:28 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,882,223 times
He Jim for the first time ever I have found something to disagree with you on !
You may be correct about there being no real large resident gangs in Montana but our little town just had a bunch of bikers visit for the weekend. There were about 200 mixed Hermanos, Bandidos, and Hombres, many wearing colors. There were only a few fights but if you look at what these guys are really up to (nationwide drug distribution) I would say that we definitely have a gang problem starting. I'm retreating to the east side real soon and I may be developing an attitude like Joejoeman, I am getting real sick and tired of what is happening to western Montana. I can imagine how much meth, extacy, pcp, crack and heroin they left here.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:32 AM

thanks for the info and I had tears in my eyes reading your message. That is exactly the kind of childhood I had and want for my son. I remember playing all day until supper time and even then, I harfed my food down and ran back outside. I know I can't stop the progression of crime, drugs, and the evils of this world by running away to a small town, but, you know something, I can make sure my son has some years of experience being just a kid.. He has just turned 7 and I think by making this decision, I can hold back the ugly world at least until he becomes an adult. I don't care that I won't be able to make as much money as I could in portland, oregon.. A boy needs to run around and scrap his knees up, ride his bike and go camping, and of course climb trees.

I do have an additional question if anyone can answer..

?? Are there any poisonious snakes or spiders? In portland, I have never had to worry about snakes or dangerous spiders.. except maybe a black widow or recluse if I start digging around under my house.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:48 PM

I plan to move to havre this summer. Are you from there? and which part do you live? Maybe you could help me out with the little details of havre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana